You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C849C013-E36E-4DF7-9452-8B00FA0371C2 (resized).jpeg
F8 FT2.jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey boys,

I have very popular problem on WPC games - Error of switch F8 on my CFTBL. I checked this forum and same problem have many others on Draculas, World Cups, etc. But nobody have a proper solution. Every advice is just like: try to clean optos, try to switch opto boards, try new fuse on Fliptronic board,...

Switch F8 is "upper left flipper", but on most games there is not any u.l. flipper so F8 means just left flipper. In switch test on these machines you never see "F8" shown. F8 is probably shown like switch F4 (left flipper opto board)

Its very often problem so dont tell me that nobody there dont know clean solution....?

Thanks a lot

#2 6 years ago

You can check that F8 does exist in your machine.
Go into switch test T.1, pull J905 from fliptronic board and short pin 5 with pin 6.

Does that trigger F8 in the switch test ?

If so, possible something wrong with flipperbutton-optoboard in cabinet.

F8 FT2.jpgF8 FT2.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, I will try...

#4 6 years ago

Okay, for the record, F8 is the Upper Left Flipper *opto*.

Even if the game does not have an upper left (or right) flipper, the OPTO should still work. When you press the flipper button in, both F4 (L Flipper opto) and F8 (UL Flipper Opto) should activate. (Or for the right flipper button, F2 & F6) Again, this should happen *regardless* of whether the game HAS an upper flipper.

However - there is some exceptions!
SOME games that do not use the upper flippers will have the upper flipper switches (EOS, Opto) wired into switches on the playfield. (For example, Cirqus Voltaire has the two upper EOS switches wired to the spinners.)

#5 6 years ago

It's usually something that happens when the plastic (or metal) arm of the flipper button opto gets slightly bent out of whack. The interrupters aren't clearing the one opto. Try adjusting the arm.

Tech:

The F8 switch is activated when the opto on the little board stops being interrupted. That is to say, the standard state of the opto is the beam from one side not making it to the other. This is so if the opto fails, it doesn't make the game think the flipper button is stuck pressed. When you push the button, the little plastic bit gets moved up, and out of the way of the opto beam. Now the beam can make it from one side to the other, and it registers a button press.

3 years later
#6 2 years ago

Coyote comment FTW ^

6 months later
#7 1 year ago

can someone show me where exactly the f8 “opto” is on world cup soccer? it doesnt appear to be in the manual at all but im getting the same error

C849C013-E36E-4DF7-9452-8B00FA0371C2 (resized).jpegC849C013-E36E-4DF7-9452-8B00FA0371C2 (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from quantumjosh:

can someone show me where exactly the f8 “opto” is on world cup soccer? it doesnt appear to be in the manual at all but im getting the same error
[quoted image]

It’s on your left flipper board, I believe it’s the lower opto.

#9 1 year ago

So weird, as I just encountered this on my CFTBL. Turned out it was an improperly seated ribbon cable on the fliptronics board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 24.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-error-of-switch-f8?hl=quantumjosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.