Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27c301 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

When deciding if you can use a larger size eprom in place, check out the pin outs. If the pinouts basically match, yet the larger eprom just has more address lines, you can double, quadruple, etc the image and use it.

2732 can replace 2716 with a doubled up image because the pinout match except 2732 has an extra address line connected to P21

Bit and Byte confuses people. EPROM sizes are expressed in megabit, but windows expresses file sizes in megabyte or KB. There is a chart on this page that should help you pick what EPROM you should use based on the image file size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM

Fun tip.... you can even use a FM1608 as a really expensive 2764 EEPROM.

#13 7 years ago

When doubling or quadrupling up images in windows. I recommend using batch files (.bat).

Open up notepad application and put a line like this into it. Then save that notepad as a .bat file (not .txt) in the same folder with your image.

copy /b GAME.ROM + GAME.ROM + GAME.ROM + GAME.ROM QUADGAME.ROM

When you execute the batch file That string would quadruple the file GAME.ROM and output a quadrupled image file as QUADGAME.ROM. You must use the /b flag (binary)

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

As long as it's a size that's used by that board is any game, shouldn't it be fine without doubling up?

Some EPROMs do not follow the standard pinout. Check out 27C301

27c301 (resized).png27c301 (resized).png

I don't think this will come up in pinball systems, but i had to deal with it when putting custom software inside some atari 7800 cartridges.

#18 7 years ago

I am not sure if I understand properly. The 27C301 is an EPROM that is close to the pinout used in masked PROMs, but not exactly. I had to modify the atari pcb board to take a standard pinout erpom like 27c010. Once the atari cart pcb was modded to the standard pinout, then i could sub larger eproms in that are doubled up.

2 years later
    #25 5 years ago

bit or bye i think is the confusion.

if you binary file is one megabyte in size on the computer you need an eight megaBIT to burn it.

The way i think about it to pick eprom to use is I look at the file size and multiply by eight. If the file size on the computer is 4 kByte then I need a 2732 or 32 kBIT EPROM.

this chart on wikipedia helps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM#EPROM_generations,_sizes_and_types

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I would like to clarify, that if you have floating address line inputs to a memory chip you may get into trouble regardless. As it is no-go to change the address input while chip select is active. Even though it looks to be working on paper. It has to be stable.
    And it is likely not an issue. Having floating connections to a chip, even for "no purpose" pins, is baaaaad practise.
    The reason for mirror filling a ROM is to be independant of if the, now be, addresse lines are set high or low.

hopefully when the board layout was done all the extra JEDEC standard pins are logically tied to something when larger memory is available in the same pin count package used. In pinball world I think this is always done, but probably worth checking the board or schematic.

sneak a pull resistor in or just be handcuffed to the original memory size... but I'd like to think that is a rare case.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-eprom-rom-file-sizes?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.