(Topic ID: 101608)

WPC Driver board with a weird hack on the LM323

By johnwartjr

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

driver.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm aware that the LM323 is an adjustable regulator, and the output can be adjusted by placing a resistor between the regulator case and ground.

I got a board in today that had a capacitor between the regulator case and ground. At least, I'm pretty sure it's a capacitor.

It's marked 2U2K 15V.

I removed the jumpers and the cap, and the +5 didn't change. It's still too low to make me happy, after doing all the pinwiki suggested fixes. I'll figure that out, I'm sure, but I can't figure out why someone would splice a cap between the regulator and ground?

Any thoughts?

driver.jpgdriver.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Caps regulate?

#3 9 years ago

On all of the driver boards the small cap on the front side of the board just to the right of the heatsink is in the wrong place. You can see the two vias for it in the picture just to the left of the burned area. The factory placement puts it across the input and the ground, where the schematics depict it across the output and the ground.
    The input already has the 15,000 uf cap on it so adding the 1 uf cap on the same input side does nothing.

This was probably someones attempt to fix that.

Weird revision of the driver board you have. Can't recall ever seeing the ground trace going to the upper screw.

#4 9 years ago

That makes sense, I have not been able to figure out what game this driver came in originally , it has the older serial # style, and the first half of the serial # doesn't resemble any game #.

#5 9 years ago

Smaller (ceramic) capacitors do have better characteristics to deal with Higher Frequency noise. It also deals with coupling between the traces to the LM323 if there is any.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

That makes sense, I have not been able to figure out what game this driver came in originally , it has the older serial # style, and the first half of the serial # doesn't resemble any game #.

Dr Dude maybe?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-driver-board-with-a-weird-hack-on-the-lm323 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.