Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230320_173653 (resized).jpg
20230320_162338 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Left side GI in WCS is out. I pulled the driver board and found a cracked solder joint. My plan is to reflow the cracked joint but I am nervous about causing further damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the damage:

20230320_162338 (resized).jpg20230320_162338 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Did you check the fuse first?

#3 1 year ago

Do you have a picture of the connector? It could be that also

#4 1 year ago

I'm not a pro but reflowing a header pin is pretty easy but I will check the other things first.
Also they are daisy chain so make sure the chain isn't broken.

#5 1 year ago

Put a small bit of fresh solder on the iron's tip before heating the cracked joint. This will help heat transfer and the fresh Flux aids in reflowing the solder. It will be obvious once the old solder melts and reflows.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Left side GI in WCS is out. I pulled the driver board and found a cracked solder joint. My plan is to reflow the cracked joint but I am nervous about causing further damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the damage:
[quoted image]

There's no real 'damage' there - someone has already reflowed the header.

#7 1 year ago

I was checking the connector for voltage and when I pressed on the wire the GI came on. So I repinned the connector and it didn't resolve the issue, so I pulled the board and found the cracked joint. Good to know it's not damaged, thats what I was hoping. Should I be concerned with the solder that had crept up the trace? Or should I just reflow and not worry about it. Here is a picture from a different angle.

20230320_173653 (resized).jpg20230320_173653 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I was checking the connector for voltage and when I pressed on the wire the GI came on. So I repinned the connector and it didn't resolve the issue, so I pulled the board and found the cracked joint. Good to know it's not damaged, thats what I was hoping. Should I be concerned with the solder that had crept up the trace? Or should I just reflow and not worry about it. Here is a picture from a different angle.
[quoted image]

Nah,nothing to worry about. Previous person that did the fix used (way) too much solder, and it just flowed up where the soldermask had been chipped or missing. It's fine.

#9 1 year ago

I got it to flow a little bit. The problem is the insert that the solder should flow on is moving around.

#10 1 year ago

Not sure what you mean the insert is moving. Maybe you are talking about the header pin? You need to wire brush or sand on the pin to clean it up, then apply some flux, then try resoldering it. It needs to be very clean. If that doesn't work, then replace the header pin(s) and start with fresh, clean header pins.

#11 1 year ago

If you have a soldier sucker it would be nice to remove that crap and see what’s going on under there.

#12 1 year ago

Looks like the pad has lifted. Try a stitch to the other side of the through hole pad.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Not sure what you mean the insert is moving. Maybe you are talking about the header pin? You need to wire brush or sand on the pin to clean it up, then apply some flux, then try resoldering it. It needs to be very clean. If that doesn't work, then replace the header pin(s) and start with fresh, clean header pins.

There is a little piece of something moving around when I heat up to solder.

Quoted from cartert:

Looks like the pad has lifted. Try a stitch to the other side of the through hole pad.

I think you're right, the pad has lifted. What do you mean by stitch to the other side?

#14 1 year ago

If you have lifted traces like that, and since this is a pricier board, it might be worth sending it in for profession repair.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I think you're right, the pad has lifted. What do you mean by stitch to the other side?

If the through hole has been torn from the pad, it will not make any difference. There is no connection on the component side of the board. Only pin 6 of that header has a through hole that makes a difference. If you measure continuity between J120-5 and J121-5 then the pad is NOT your problem.

The pins on your header have seen better days. There is obvious "tarnish" from the multiple insertion/removal cycles in the past. The connector may also be part of the problem.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If the through hole has been torn from the pad, it will not make any difference. There is no connection on the component side of the board. Only pin 6 of that header has a through hole that makes a difference. If you measure continuity between J120-5 and J121-5 then the pad is NOT your problem.
The pins on your header have seen better days. There is obvious "tarnish" from the multiple insertion/removal cycles in the past. The connector may also be part of the problem.

I reflowed and then tested for continuity between J120-5 and J121-5, got a beep. Thought I had it fixed after that so I put it back in the machine. Problem not fixed. Looking at the picture, the header looks trashed, I didn't notice that in person. I repinned the connector using molex. So put in a new header next? Thanks to all of you for your help.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Problem not fixed. Looking at the picture, the header looks trashed, I didn't notice that in person. I repinned the connector using molex. So put in a new header next? Thanks to all of you for your help.

Check the voltages. It's VAC so you need to measure point-to-point (even though one of the points is actually grounded). Stop any attract mode software from adjusting the triacs by entering diagnostic mode. This should set the brightness of all the strings at 8. Measure the voltage at the pins of J120 and J121.

They should measure identically and at 6.3VAC (nominal). If you don't measure this then there is an electrical problem. If you do measure these correctly then look at either the connector or wires to the connector for starters.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Check the voltages. It's VAC so you need to measure point-to-point (even though one of the points is actually grounded). Stop any attract mode software from adjusting the triacs by entering diagnostic mode. This should set the brightness of all the strings at 8. Measure the voltage at the pins of J120 and J121.
They should measure identically and at 6.3VAC (nominal). If you don't measure this then there is an electrical problem. If you do measure these correctly then look at either the connector or wires to the connector for starters.

The GI actually came back earlier today when I was poking on the J120 wiring checking voltages. It would stay on until I turned the game off. This is what made me think it was just and connector and why I replaced the original. When that didn't work, I pulled the board and saw the beat up solder joint.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I swapped in a working PZ driver board and lost right playfield GI but the coin door lights came on. The left GI remained out. The coin door lights weren't working with the other board, I failed to mention that.

#20 1 year ago

Got it. It was the the J121-1,2,3 connector. I replaced the bigger one earlier but not the smaller one. I replaced the smaller one and the left playfield GI came on. Thanks for talking me through this everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Union, MI
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-driver-board-repair-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.