(Topic ID: 273594)

WPC Driver Board Connection Which way is correct?

By bkaelin

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
cftbl wiring (resized).png
IMG_1190 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1191 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I have a CFTBL that is a project game. I swapped out the driver board and perhaps I got something wrong.
All of my other WPC games (including another restored creature game) have three heavier gauge wires on 117, while 118 has two lighter gauge wires.
However, on this project creature game, 118 has the three heavier gauge wires, while 117 has two lighter gauge wires. See pics.
Any idea which is correct?
thanks!
IMG_1190 (resized).jpegIMG_1190 (resized).jpegIMG_1191 (resized).jpegIMG_1191 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Manual page 3-22, 3-23, 3-24, have the driver board connector pin outs. Check that for wire colors and position.

If you don't have a manual, down load it from https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

If I am reading this correctly.....Then 118 should have the two smaller wires, while 117 should have the three larger wires.
Right? That would mean that my project game is wrong (assuming the manual is correct).

cftbl wiring (resized).pngcftbl wiring (resized).png

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

If I am reading this correctly.....Then 118 should have the two smaller wires, while 117 should have the three larger wires.
Right? That would mean that my project game is wrong (assuming the manual is correct).

I'd put a meter on J118-4 and check if it's +5VDC, if so, then it doesn't matter which spot you plug them into.

LTG : )

#5 3 years ago

J116, J117 and J118 are connected to eachother, se page 1 for the Power driver board in the WPC schematic manual, so it shouldn't matter that much in which position they are.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd put a meter on J118-4 and check if it's +5VDC, if so, then it doesn't matter which spot you plug them into.

Really no reason to do this, the WPC schematic (16-9834.1, Nov 94) shows they are all the same source and also shows where each should go.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Improper connections of these three spots will only matter if there is a technician troubleshooting a problem with the game that is not familiar enough with the WPC board set to know this; and is also unable to extrapolate this information from the manual itself.

#7 3 years ago

The only one that is different is J119. That's 6.5V for the coin door lights. The other 3 are all the same 12V for optos and such under the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
€ 24.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-driver-board-connection-which-way-is-correct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.