(Topic ID: 96900)

WPC driver board A-12697-1 setting off the dedicated switches.

By CadillacMusic

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dir-sw-cpu89.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Got a WPC A-12697-1 board doing the weirdest thing. Any game I put it in, Fliptronic II or not, suddenly gets possessed by a ghost. Without touching the game, the volume goes up and down, it credits itself, and then eventually will go into test mode. It doesn't do it the instant you plug it in - you have to wait a few minutes, and then it slowly starts to happen. I can tell it's a componant failing, but how does the driver board do this? I'm guessing it's something on j113 1/3/5, as this is what's used on the board to control the flippers when there's no Fliptronic. But how can it be triggering on rows and columns it has no actual control over?

I've %100 ruled out that it's a MPU issue. I can switch MPU boards from now until september, and unplug all the switch plugs from the MPU boards, and it still does it. I'm guessing maybe it's a faulty u8 or u7? Or a bad q99? Anyone ever run into this before?

#6 9 years ago

Interesting theory. My meter doesn't detect anything wrong, but I can't think of any other reason either. I will rebuild that section and see what happens. It's not the connectors, because it's currently doing it in a BR, but it started in a TAF. But it could be the male pin side, so I'll reflow those as well. Many thanks. Never would have thought of that myself.

2 weeks later
    #8 9 years ago

Finally got around to changing the bridge for the 18/12 volts on this board. No more hauntings! Thanks everyone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-driver-board-a-12687-1-setting-off-the-dedicated-switches?tu=CadillacMusic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.