2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Brewchap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20211201_181547 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to repair a wpc89 dot matrix controller of a Party Zone.

I replaced all the components of the hv section. The problem is that the output voltages seem correct, but dmd display remain black/off.

I have the 65V, 12.7V, 4.95V, -119V, -107V. The negative tension change of 2/3V after some time, but always with 12V difference.

1) The traces are all ok with multimeter/buzzer check
    2) With a pin2dmd display, the graphics are ok (Then the problem moves to the hv section)
    3) With another dmd controller, dmd display is show (so the display is ok)

Any ideas? Ty

#2 2 years ago

Save yourself the headache and just get a $50 piggyback board.

I've rebuilt the hv section of those boards numerous times, and it's always a cluster because someone before me had attempted a spotty rebuild seemingly on every single one I've done. Besides, the williams design is undersized for the amount of current being run through that section, and it's only a matter of time before you'll have to do it again. The piggyback boards have substantially larger components, and are of a better design to dissipate the heat that cooks the originals in the first place from running plasma displays.

I'm sure others will just say spring for the colordmd, since it doesn't need high voltage, but you have other options.

Good luck!

#3 2 years ago

I have pin2dmd, a lot of controller dmd, so I don't need the easiest way, but I want to understand why although everything seems ok, it doesn't work. Tomorrow I exchange the components one by one, I want to understand where the problem lies. Maybe some thin track that does not let current through? But I shouldn't have the right voltage with the dmd connected

#4 2 years ago

Now it works!

IMG_20211201_181547 (resized).jpgIMG_20211201_181547 (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago

What did you do?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-dot-matrix-controller-high-voltage-repair?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.