(Topic ID: 115725)

WPC - Does your game have the 'hard pause'?

By Coyote

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys -
I was just thinking about this, and thought I'd finally ask.

When I was testing TZ's 9.4H, I 'found' something that Ted Estes wasn't able to replicate on his game. When I had my CV, I was unable to reproduce it on that game. (Unfortunately, since one was WPC95, and the other was 89, I can't assume anything based on that!)

So, I'm curious if your game does this -

While in game mode (Attract or In-Game, NOT in Test Menu), and both VOL+ and VOL- are pressed (at the same time), my game will 'freeze' - music will continue, but screen animations stop, and switches stop registering (but they are buffered).

Anyone else get their WPC89 to do this?

If anyone's familiar with this already, any details on it? (A unmarked jumper on the CPU board, etc?)

#2 9 years ago

No idea how it works but my TZ has the pause options also running the 9.4 Rom. But on mine I cradle a ball on either flipper in game play and hit the extra ball button. Then the flipper stays up and holds the ball for 1 min before it resumes play, well never timed it. Or when ready hold the same flipper and hit the extra ball button to resume play.

#3 9 years ago

Hmm, I need to test these out. Sounds useful.

#4 9 years ago

Just tried the flipper/extra ball button on my ToM running 1.4H and no dice. Cool feature! Would love to have it.

#5 9 years ago

Sorry, let me clarify -
I am NOT talking about the 9.4H feature 'Mute & Pause'.

This is more of a hardware, debugging, or CPU issue. Again - during a game or attract mode, open the coin door, and hit BOTH VOL+ and VOL- at the same time.

Normal games, you'd get the volume screen. However, if your MPU does what I'm explaining, your game will "freeze", the display will stop it's scrolling/flashing of the score, but music will continue.

I have no playfield in my game, but I will get a short video showing it in attract mode.

#6 9 years ago

Happens on my TZ running 9.4H as well as on my Whitewater running LH-6. My guess would be a bug in the WPC operating system (aka "APPLE"); TZ has SYS version 3.73 and WH2O has SYS version 3.76. Addams Gold (SYS 3.62) doesn't have this issue.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Happens on my TZ running 9.4H as well as on my Whitewater running LH-6. My guess would be a bug in the WPC operating system (aka "APPLE"); TZ has SYS version 3.73 and WH2O has SYS version 3.76. Addams Gold (SYS 3.62) doesn't have this issue.

Ah good then, at least it's not something unique (or wrong) with my MPU.

I'll still post a vid for those interested tonight (camera app on phone won't record video, d'oh.)

#8 9 years ago

Sorry for the delay, guys. Here's a video recorded showing the pause. Note that if done during a game, background music continues normally and flippers work. However, lights and switches and animations stop. Switches are buffered, up to a point. This is shown on the second pause in my video - while it's frozen, I hit the start button. As soon as I un-pause it (by hitting ESCAPE), it starts a game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod
Decorations
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-does-your-game-have-the-hard-pause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.