(Topic ID: 76537)

WPC DMD not working. Display, controller board, and ribbon cables fine.

By adalogue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ALY
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2935S.jpg
IMG_2939S.jpg
wpc display.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adalogue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Display wasn't working in a STTNG, moved the DMD, display controller board, and ribbons over to another WPC game and all works fine.

Voltages were fine in STTNG, although 12V was low (8.5V), but I wired 12V to the display directly from another source and it didn't fix it.

My next guess would be issue on CPU board, but my WPC schematics don't show me data bus to display, not sure what chips are involved. I suppose it's possible it was just a bad ribbon cable connection on one of the boards in STTNG, but I cycled most of those connectors during troubleshooting.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#3 10 years ago

Haven't worked on this one in a while, still want to try the CPU board from the STTNG in the other game. Maybe the ASIC chips needs to be reseated?

#5 10 years ago

Yes, 12VDC from driver board.

#7 10 years ago

All voltages to DMD were fine, at the DMD connector, except 12V was low (created at DMD controller board). However, DMD and DMD controller board worked fine in another pin, still with the low 12V.

4 weeks later
#25 10 years ago

Wow, this thread really got hijacked. Now back to originally scheduled programming.

UPDATE;

Replaced the 12V Zener on the DMD controller board and installed tested CPU board, DMD controller board, and DMD. It worked fine for about 5 minutes, then the display stopped working. Swapped the power driver board and it did not improve the scenario. Do see some dots flicker when powered on, if it's been left off for a while.

Voltages to DMD are now fine (12V was previously low). Ground is good. Ribbon cables are good. All boards work in other machines. Only other issue I found was a bad fuse (F116-12V) on the power driver board, but replacing it did not fix the display.

Yikes!

4 months later
#26 9 years ago

Ok, some more interesting phenomena...

Another DMD (Dale) was installed in the ST:TNG, and it worked. However, the ST:TNG DMD (Cherry?) still doesn't work, but it works in other games (T2 and TZ).

Any ideas why a DMD would work in one game and not another, when a different DMD works in all the games?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adalogue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-dmd-not-working-display-controller-board-and-ribbon-cables-fine?tu=adalogue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.