• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by D-Piddy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I posted this in the DM owners club, but thought I might try here too.

I just picked up a DM that has seen some better days. It powered up when I got it but would not start a game. Half the switch matrix was out and I was able to fully restore that to function including the claw in test mode. Now that I am further along in getting it fully functional again I had a couple questions I wanted to check. I know I have issues on the PD board and Flipptronics board, and I am waiting on the components to fix those. I am now trying to clean up bad splices and wiring that I have noticed so that I don't just burn up the new components on those boards once I replace them.

1. Once the switch matrix was working I quickly discovered that the right ramp diverter was not working. I suspect this was the culprit that took out the lines in the PDB. It looks like the coil was recently replaced (before I got it) but I want to make sure it is wired properly. The wire diagram from the manual says that there should be two power lines from J107 running to the coil (Red/BRN and Red/BLK)

Edited from page 110 of the DM ManualEdited from page 110 of the DM Manual

It appears only the high power is wired.

Only the Red/BRN is connectedOnly the Red/BRN is connected

Should I add a daisy chain from the nearest low power coil (Right Jet probably) to the power lug on the diverter coil with the high power connection? If so, wouldn't that energize the rest of the low power string with high power? Can someone post a pic of your diverter coil so I can see how it is wired?

2. Each of the flashers has a large and small resistor soldered to it.

The colors look different in real life vs this pictureThe colors look different in real life vs this picture

When I put what colors the bands appear to be into a resistor calculator, Brown:Grey:Gold:Gold, I get 1.8 ohms with a tolerance of 5%. The bands appear to be the same on both the larger and smaller resistor. All of these look like they were added later in this games life, at least the smaller ones do, and they are all electrical taped (poorly). At the very least I plan to replace the electrical tape with heat shrink. I just wanted to confirm that both resistors were necessary or if I should remove one or both of them?

Until I get the rest of my components in, this is about all I have questions with at the moment. Thanks in advance for any insights on these two things. Have a good one.

#2 3 years ago

You can see a photo of the unit here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dDDAjXOb_Aw/VF-9v2VMBrI/AAAAAAAABCA/wIps7_GyaWM/s1600/DSCN9122.jpg (from http://pin-fix.blogspot.com/2014/11/demolition-man.html). Yours looks to be wired correctly (just like a flipper would be wired). I guess the diagram is misleading. You can also look in the solenoid test, it should show wiring colors.

Maybe someone was trying to reduce the intensity of flashers? I'd remove it myself.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Glad I am not going crazy, I thought it was wired correctly but the diagram threw me off.

And the resistors on the flashers seemed odd to me too. I thought it was either to extend the life of the bulbs or like you said, to reduce the intensity of them. But I am probably going to remove them if they are not necessary.

Thanks again, have a good day!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
PinSound

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 81.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 72.95
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-diverter-coil-and-flasher-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.