Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by ALY
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot from 2024-02-28 15-23-45 (resized).png
    IMG_7708 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7707 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20220525_082622027.jpg
    IMG_20220525_081614881.jpg
    IMG_20200801_154157876 (resized).jpg
    CY62256_VCC_Data_Retention.png
    sys11_battery (resized).jpg
    cr2032_s6_(resized).jpg
    cr2032_s80_(resized).jpg
    cr2032_de_(resized).jpg
    cr2032_bly35_(resized).jpg
    WPC89_2032_(resized).jpg
    cr2032_wpc95_(resized).jpg
    cr2032_wpc_(resized).jpg

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago

Please, The nvram discussion should be in the nvram thread not here.
    This thread is about cr2032 installations.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Please, The nvram discussion should be in the nvram thread not here.
    This thread is about cr2032 installations.

I think that the discussion comparing using a CR2032 versus a $6 NVRAM is relevant though - don't you?

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Pretty sure those use SIMTEK where reads don't count against endurance due to it having it's own sram integrated. It may be a non issue regardless.

Yep -- the Simteks are a different animal than the Ramtrons.
    The Simteks actually have a static RAM bank internally that the CPU is using for reads/writes. When the Simtek detects a VCC voltage drop to a certain threshold - it automatically disables static RAM and transfers whatever is in the static RAM over into a flash memory bank. When machine is turned back on - the Simtek automatically transfers what is in the flash memory back into the static RAM.
    So - the Simteks actually only write to the flash memory when the machine is being powered off.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I think that the discussion comparing using a CR2032 versus a $6 NVRAM is relevant though - don't you?

Or CR2032 versus $2.50 nvram imported directly. Which is probably why nvram came up in this thread to begin with (and not because I posted some thoughts on endurance that I'll agree may be better left to an nvram technical discussion thread).

Really though, I think the discussion specifically on CR2032s (if it could stay on just that topic) for a sepcific manufacturer's board (ie. WPC which was the topic of this thread) would be over quick. What's there to talk about? Or after a few people show pictures of installation methods on a specific board.. what more is there?

I'll offer another thought up -- I think It'd be nice if steps to doing CR2032 installations on various manufacturer's boards *cleanly* could get documented on PINWIKI.. with pictures -- that way when new threads like this are created people can be pointed to a good resource for installing CR2032 battery holders on boards & proper direction of diodes or clean ways to do the jumper wires if that's the method they want to take. I haven't really looked at what's out there but if there's not pages for every manufacturer showing how to install CR2032's if they're versatile across most of the major pinball manufacturers, then why not get them created and start pointing people there. Or adding to them as threads like this flush out better details or pictures or methods.

Taking it a step further then, document all the alternative ways for memory retention -- from the AA alkaline or rechargeable batteries that are considered a **GET THEM OFF THE BOARD** method -- to CR2032s and lithium AAs and remote battery packs with 10ft wires to reach the coin door.. to nvram. Just document the pros/cons, risk of invasiveness -- ease of install, etc. Then immediately point these threads to those resources to mitigate the same "fanboy" type of discussions that tend to occur in these threads because what works for someone doesn't work for someone else. If something gets discussed *over and over* then a resource can be created to help others and prevent threads from getting derailed too much with "my method is better than yours" conversation. Totally just my humble opinion here. Carry on with CR2032 discussion

#55 8 years ago

Actually, what you suggest would be a good addition to pinwiki. In fact, I just looked on pinwiki under WPC and there is a small section under 4.9. Which, in fact, is incorrect as far as my knowledge goes. It is suggesting the use of the simtek 12c68 but makes no mention of having to retrofit it to have the required power down capacitor and proper pull up resistors added. My guess is the author meant to refer to the Ramtron/Cypress FRAM parts or the Simtek STK16C68 which are plug and play.

I agree it would be useful to provide documentation of ALL possible alternatives to using the factory batteries and holders without necessarily referring to any particular product or pricing. Simply ball park estimates for each technology.

#56 8 years ago

Looks like a hack to me, if I purchased a game with this type of battery, it would be coming off and I would change it to a nram with a much cleaner look. Or go with a remote battery holder.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

Looks like a hack to me, if I purchased a game with this type of battery, it would be coming off and I would change it to a nram with a much cleaner look. Or go with a remote battery holder.

No offense, but its funny to me you would find a coin battery ( which many other manufacturers have used onboard), to be a "hack" but accept a remote battery holder as not?

I too would use NVRam in every possible chance but as was mentioned, that's not really the subject of this thread

#58 8 years ago

as someone mentioned there is more than one way to skin a cat or get the job done (cant remember which one was said)
    as long as we get rid of the alkaline and rechargeable batteries off the board then we can all sleep easier at night.
    I use cr2032 on everything but wpc and wp95.
    and after reading the comments from people on here who have many wpc and wpc95 machines with the CR2032 fitted (great to hear the feedback) and my experience with a wpc95 with a CR2032 there is only a small chance of coming across a board that will kill the cr2032 in 6 months.
    I assumed it was the clock in the WPC ASIC chip that was considerably shortening the life of the CR2032 in problem WPC95 board.
    I will have to do some current draw tests to find out what the draw on the battery is with the clock and ram together and with the ram alone in the WPC series boards just for a matter of interest.

#59 8 years ago

I'm personally really digging the idea of starting doing this for a few reasons, but I don't want to have to drill.

I think I've got a junky board I can mess around with to see what I can make work.

Honestly I'm a big fan of NVRAM, but I'm not comfortable at the moment desoldering RAM from the multilayered boards. So for me, with my current soldering skills, this is a nice mod I can do myself. Battery holders are in the scope of my ability.

#60 8 years ago

The only WPC game that killed the cr2032, in my experience, was the Rottendog wpc95 i had. They used a different brand of 6264. I think it's the brand of RAM that makes the difference. I notice this on games with 5101 AMI brand RAMs. those don't work well with cr2032 either.

#61 8 years ago

There are low power devices ( often labeled L or LP) and Ultra Low power Devices (often labeled LL). It may be the type of ram as opposed to the brand.

LL, ultra low power devices are specifically designed for battery back up uses. Its often the difference of using a NiCad or 3V lithium battery verse using a coin battery.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I'll offer another thought up -- I think It'd be nice if steps to doing CR2032 installations on various manufacturer's boards *cleanly* could get documented on PINWIKI.. with pictures

Wow - so that's great!! When are you going to get started on that?

2 years later
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Here's some perhaps more clear pictures of the same thing (using cr2032), on system11, wpc, and wpc95.
    The jumper wire across the bottom is to tie the original three AA battery holder connections together, so the two pole cr2032 holder makes contact at negative and positive points.

Hi Clay,

I'm planning on doing this mod to a System 11b board.

I'm a bit confused, looking at the picture in post #15, I see the jumper across the + terminals, but it looks like both sides of the battery holder go to - terminals. Could you clarify?

Thanks

#64 5 years ago

Post #15 with the pictures is self explanatory.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Post #15 with the pictures is self explanatory.

o-tay!

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

I'm a bit confused, looking at the picture in post #15, I see the jumper across the + terminals, but it looks like both sides of the battery holder go to - terminals. Could you clarify?

Clay is right that the picture is self explanatory if you're looking for a cookbook explanation.

If you want to know why it works, it's important to know that the 3 AA batteries are in series with traces on the board to connect them.

sys11_battery (resized).jpgsys11_battery (resized).jpg

#67 5 years ago

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.....I'm out of the country, so wasn't able to look at the traces. (my 1st Williams game, other than EMs).

1 year later
    #68 4 years ago

What about two CR2032s in parallel?
    I'm thinking about this option to extend the battery time and also you can replace one while the machine is off.

Batteries and sockets are cheap anyway.

What do you think?

5 months later
    #69 3 years ago

I've read through this thread with great interest. But it seems unclear what the expected lifespan of a CR2032 is. I am to advice a guy who would like to get rid of the AAs in a WPC89 game. But reports here of CR2032 to die within 6 months I will consider af no-go.

What is the general experience? Is it rare to see them die off that fast.

Also. This game will be equipped with new CY62256 RAM. Which is praised by the manufacture as having super low standby power consumption. And I am sure it is atleast as good as the original RAM. But, the datasheet does not mention the minimum voltage requirement (oddly enough). Any experience?

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

But, the datasheet does not mention the minimum voltage requirement (oddly enough).

Looks like it's 2.0 volts:

CY62256_VCC_Data_Retention.pngCY62256_VCC_Data_Retention.png

#71 3 years ago

Ah. Thanks. My free text search for "standby" was too coarse.

#72 3 years ago

In terms of shelf life, I had a bunch of 15 year old N.O.S CR2032 batteries sitting on the shelf in not exactly ideal conditions.

A lot of "KTS" branded batteries went flat a long time ago. The Sonys and Panasonics still have 3 volts, so too the Toshibas but the Toshibas look stained like they've dry leaked. Also one Maxell left still reads/looks good.
    I still have all the flat batteries from this stash, I should probably pull them out to get more details.

#73 3 years ago

At the vfw museum we have every WPC game made (except for popeye and gilligan, yeck). And they nearly all have a 2032 coin battery. So we have a pretty good example of data points. i would say average life is about 2 years. Though a couple games kick their coin battery after one year. It's probably the brand of RAM perhaps...

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I've read through this thread with great interest. But it seems unclear what the expected lifespan of a CR2032 is. I am to advice a guy who would like to get rid of the AAs in a WPC89 game. But reports here of CR2032 to die within 6 months I will consider af no-go.
    What is the general experience? Is it rare to see them die off that fast.
    Also. This game will be equipped with new CY62256 RAM. Which is praised by the manufacture as having super low standby power consumption. And I am sure it is atleast as good as the original RAM. But, the datasheet does not mention the minimum voltage requirement (oddly enough). Any experience?

I did all my Bally/Williams games about 2-3 years ago. I got some cheap CR2032 on eBay. They lasted 2-3 years. I looked at the expiration date on the ones I installed and they were expired.
    This time I bought some on amazon this time. I ended up replacing all of them with the amazon ones since they were expired.
    I was replacing the AA batteries every year. Now I don’t worry about them.

#75 3 years ago

personally i just use the cheap 2032 batteries. i have not found the name brand versions to last any longer.

#76 3 years ago

Just curious: why do the lithium batteries in Stern SAM games last so long? I bought Spider-Man new in box and have not needed to replace it.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Also. This game will be equipped with new CY62256 RAM. Which is praised by the manufacture as having super low standby power consumption.

If you are going to replace the RAM chip then you will install a socket there, so why not put in NVRAM and avoid the battery for a permanent solution?

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Just curious: why do the lithium batteries in Stern SAM games last so long?

SAM boards don't use CR2032 batteries. I think they use CR2430. I haven't needed to replace one of those yet either. Although I have to admit that I wouldn't care too much if my machine's battery were to drop in voltage enough to cause a reset to factory settings - that's an opportunity to achieve cool things all over again.

#79 3 years ago

Thanks all.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Just curious: why do the lithium batteries in Stern SAM games last so long? I bought Spider-Man new in box and have not needed to replace it

Simple answer. The standby current draw is lower. Which makes sense as SAM is 15 years yonger than WPC. And Stern games do not have a real-time clock. The battery is only feeding the RAM. Whereas on WPC it also runs a corner of the ASIC and the clock generator. And I will believe they are not cheap.

Quoted from RoyF:

If you are going to replace the RAM chip then you will install a socket there, so why not put in NVRAM and avoid the battery for a permanent solution?

Just wanted to present him his options. And he want the NVRAM. Which I am not able to supply yet.

Personally, I will not use the NVRAM. But I like the coin cell solution.

2 months later
    #80 3 years ago

Thread revive. I did this to my Grand Lizard and it won't retain settings. I was previously using lithium AAs. Battery is good. Reads 3.3vdc. Installed just like it is in the pic of post #66. Any suggestions? Was working fine with the previous AAs.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Thread revive. I did this to my Grand Lizard and it won't retain settings. I was previously using lithium AAs. Battery is good. Reads 3.3vdc. Installed just like it is in the pic of post #66. Any suggestions? Was working fine with the previous AAs.

Did you check continuity with a DMM?

#82 3 years ago

you need to check with the DMM that the last pin of the ram is getting battery voltage (game off). if it's not (and trust me, it's not), you have done something wrong...

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

you need to check with the DMM that the last pin of the ram is getting battery voltage (game off). if it's not (and trust me, it's not), you have done something wrong...

You're correct. No voltage there. I have continuity from the negative battery terminal to ground and from the positive terminal to the non banded side of D2. What could I have missed? Here's the board. Thanks.

IMG_20200801_154157876 (resized).jpgIMG_20200801_154157876 (resized).jpg

#84 3 years ago

that diode could be open. that would do it! check it with DMM set to diode function, black lead on banded side of diode, red lead on non-banded side of diode. should be .2 to .6

#85 3 years ago

If you have the battery voltage (against ground) at non-banded side of D2 but none on the banded side, the diode is definitely open. Remove the battery before trying the diode check with DMM.

Also check that the battery has continuity with the holder! Some battery holders I have used tend to melt while soldering and lose contact with the battery.

#86 3 years ago

I assume everything was working before you started this mod? If so, then the diode going out during the battery update process would be very odd/coincidently, but I guess not impossible. Start narrowing the problem down by successfully finding the +3v on the board first with your DMM...

#87 3 years ago

It was the holder itself. Thanks guys. Even though it was locking in, it wasn't making enough contact to conduct voltage. Just tightened the positive terminal click release thing and it's working good.

#88 3 years ago

I thought I read/heard somewhere that the diode on WPC MPU's can sometimes fail and start charging the battery (this is bad, obviously).

Does anyone use an extra blocking diode in place for extra insurance ?

3 months later
    #89 3 years ago

I did the CR2032 holder on my Williams IJ (WPC89) and when I start the pin I get the Factory Reset message, which may mean my battery isn’t connected properly. With a DMM what points should I check? Thanks!

Edit: I drilled a hole for the negative lead

1 year later
    #90 1 year ago

Does anyone have a picture of how to place the blocking diode on the older games?

#91 1 year ago

All Williams games have the blocking diode already on the PCB. Only games with rechargeable battery (old Bally and Gottlieb) need a blocking diode in series with the battery.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

All Williams games have the blocking diode already on the PCB. Only games with rechargeable battery (old Bally and Gottlieb) need a blocking diode in series with the battery.

I just converted a system 80, but didn't use a diode and it sounds like I should have. Is it a standard diode with the band to the plus side?

Edit*
    Looks like band away from the plus on a system 11c.
    IMG_20220525_081614881.jpgIMG_20220525_081614881.jpg

Only a resistor on a system 80.

IMG_20220525_082622027.jpgIMG_20220525_082622027.jpg
    #93 1 year ago

Yes, if you put a diode in the plus side wire, the band should be away from battery. Almost any diode can be used. 1N4148 or 1N4007 are OK.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Yes, if you put a diode in the plus side wire, the band should be away from battery. Almost any diode can be used. 1N4148 or 1N4007 are OK.

Thanks for confirming.

1 year later
    #95 32 days ago

I've read this thread with interest and I'm ready to take the plunge to convert my three WPC games to run off a lithium battery.

Question: Has anyone considered using a CR2477? Seems those batteries and holders are easily found on Amazon and not much more expensive than a 2032 or 2354.

Comparison of mAh:

CR2032: Approximately 220 mAh
    CR2354: Approximately 560 mAh
    CR2477: Approximately 1000 mAh

The only disadvantage I can think of is that you can't easily run to your local drugstore to get a CR2477 the way you can a CR2032. But given how long it'll be before it'll have to be replaced, that doesn't seem like a big concern. Curious what others think though.

#96 32 days ago

I prefer to stay with the cr2032, because it’s so readily available. But on WPC games, it only lasts between one and two years. So I’ve started trying this modification… the two batteries are running parallel (not series) so you still have 3.2v. But it doubles the mA power. The cr2032 has nice spacing compared to other batteries. That is, the holder fits right into the stock battery holes on the cpu board. other larger batteries won't afford that. When doing this mod make sure you check pin32 of the RAM to verify it's still 3.2v, and not 3.2+3.2v (6.4v)...

IMG_7707 (resized).jpegIMG_7707 (resized).jpeg

IMG_7708 (resized).jpegIMG_7708 (resized).jpeg

#97 32 days ago
    Quoted from Dalex:

I've read this thread with interest and I'm ready to take the plunge to convert my three WPC games to run off a lithium battery.
    Question: Has anyone considered using a CR2477? Seems those batteries and holders are easily found on Amazon and not much more expensive than a 2032 or 2354.
    Comparison of mAh:
    CR2032: Approximately 220 mAh
    CR2354: Approximately 560 mAh
    CR2477: Approximately 1000 mAh
    The only disadvantage I can think of is that you can't easily run to your local drugstore to get a CR2477 the way you can a CR2032. But given how long it'll be before it'll have to be replaced, that doesn't seem like a big concern. Curious what others think though.

All those coin cells provide 3v, and can be found easily. The 2032 everywhere in retail, but one-day on Amazon has the 2477 for 5 for $6. The key is the life of the battery. SimpleThings (the guys that make smarthome stuff) alternated between the 2450 and 2477 cell due to the lifespan of the bigger cell. Choose whatever you like. I would likely go with the 2477 for the more than twice longer lifespan, but that is just me.

#98 29 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I prefer to stay with the cr2032, because it’s so readily available. But on WPC games, it only lasts between one and two years. So I’ve started trying this modification… the two batteries are running parallel (not series) so you still have 3.2v. But it doubles the mA power. The cr2032 has nice spacing compared to other batteries. That is, the holder fits right into the stock battery holes on the cpu board. other larger batteries won't afford that. When doing this mod make sure you check pin32 of the RAM to verify it's still 3.2v, and not 3.2+3.2v (6.4v)...

Yeah I remember reading ALY's post about doing that. My one concern was if the batteries were unbalanced, you could run into a situation with current leaking from one battery to the other. Probably not a big deal if you change the batteries on a regular basis though.

Quoted from Markharris2000:

All those coin cells provide 3v, and can be found easily. The 2032 everywhere in retail, but one-day on Amazon has the 2477 for 5 for $6. The key is the life of the battery. SimpleThings (the guys that make smarthome stuff) alternated between the 2450 and 2477 cell due to the lifespan of the bigger cell. Choose whatever you like. I would likely go with the 2477 for the more than twice longer lifespan, but that is just me.

I've decided to go ahead with the 2477 batteries. We'll see how long they last! (If I remember, I'll update this post in a few years time!)

#99 29 days ago

Hi,

I tested this with two CR2032 in series a couple of years ago on TAF (WPC89) CPU board because in series you get 6 volts with two CR2032 and after reading the documenation about the RAM on WPC89 CPU board it can accept up to around 7 Volts.
    (This holder)
    s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

I tried it, worked fine.. BUT.. I used some low cost CR2032 batteries and they depleted after about 6 months whereas in some machines AA batteries can "survive" for 5+ years.
    It didn't pay off as I hoped they would last more.. so I just sticked with AA in external battery holders.
    If you just compare the size and volumne of two CR2032 vs three AA batteries it make sense.

The next idea I have (but I will see if I ever do it) is to try with one 18650 li-ion battery which would also be charged when the game is plugged in.
    Those are the cells you see in laptops for example.
    Screenshot from 2024-02-28 15-23-45 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2024-02-28 15-23-45 (resized).png

#100 29 days ago
    Quoted from ALY:

The next idea I have (but I will see if I ever do it) is to try with one 18650 li-ion battery which would also be charged when the game is plugged in.
    Those are the cells you see in laptops for example.

I would try a smaller cell, like a 14500 (it's the size of a AA). Not sure I'd bother with an in-game charging circuit. Just put it in a holder that's easy to swap cells. Swap in a freshly charged cell every year or two.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-cr2032-mpu-install/page/2?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.