(Topic ID: 180852)

WPC CPU issues

By boustrophedonic

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a STTNG that died the other night. The initial symptom was D20 wouldn't flash. I played around with the connectors and discovered that if I disconnected J601 from the display board, then D20 would flash. So I ordered a Rottendog replacement display board. But when I installed it, the symptom was the same. And when I disconnected J601, I discovered that the D20 flashes (and the game starts), but it eventually stops flashing, usually within a minute after powering on.

Any ideas what might be going on or where to look? I assume it must be a CPU board issue. Just for fun I tried a Kahr board to make sure I had a clean 5V & it didn't change the symptoms at all.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

I have a STTNG that died the other night.

This in itself makes me feel sad.

It looks like you have done a good amount of work to isolate the problem. It's really starting to look like you have a bad ribbon cable

#3 7 years ago

I wish it were the ribbon cable, but even when all the connectors except the power connector are disconnected from the CPU, the LED blinks for a while and then goes dead. I'm just hoping that the answer isn't "your ASIC is bad."

#4 7 years ago

One thing you may want to try is you can disconnect this ribbon cable from the fliptronics and sound board and see if the game boots up. If you have a good cable, the machine should boot up and you should be able to start a game, although you wont have working flippers or sound. If it doesn't, you can try reversing the cable on both sides so the red stripe (pin 1) is on the opposite side and see if things change...if they do, then you will know for sure you need a new cable.

#5 7 years ago

The problem stays the same. If the ribbon cable is connected from the CPU board to J601 on the display board, the game is completely dead and won't boot. If it's not connected to J601, then it will boot (cannons homing, lights turning on, etc.) but dies after about a minute. Disconnecting the other boards doesn't change this unfortunately.

#6 7 years ago

You may want to try pulling out the MPU board, placing it on a hard, flat surface and pressing in on the socketed chips. CPU, ROM, ASIC to make sure they are all well seated in the sockets.

1 week later
#7 7 years ago

Just to follow up on this, I got the CPU board out of the game on a bench supply & still saw the board die around a minute after power-up. So before going down the path of getting out my soldering iron, I tried replacing the socketed chips using ones from another game. First swapping the WPC ASIC was no help, but lo and behold, replacing the 6809 seemed to work without the board dying. Now I just have to wait for a new one to get here & then I'll try to verify that it works in the game.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-cpu-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.