• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi guys.

I have an interesting issue which I am having trouble diagnosing. The diverter in my Judge Dredd stopped working. I tested all of the basic stuff (wiring intact, coil voltage, fuses) and realised that the transistor that drives the coil (TIP102 at Q54) was out of spec. So, I replaced it, as well as the predriving 2N5401, and the resistors between them for good measure. I reinstalled the board, but the diverter still didn't work. I rechecked my soldering and verified all traces were OK. I checked the new transistors and resistors, and they are all in spec. What the hell? I double checked the wiring by manually grounding the transistor, and the coil fires as it should.

So, I go into test mode and set the diverter on repeat (coin door closed). I can see the output of U4 (pin 5) pulsing low when the diverter is supposed to close, and the input (pin 4) remains high as it should. So, the correct signals are getting to the transistors, but they're not firing the coil. Then I double checked a similar input and output on an adjacent IC (pins 4 and 5), and the results were the same. I can see the collector of the 2N5401 go high when it should. The last part of the chain is the TIP102 which is supposed to go low but I haven't verified that yet. What is the best way to do it? Do you just put your logic probe on the tab of the TIP102?

I am at a total loss here. Any suggestions?

Side note: R92 is listed as 2.7k ohm in the schematics, however all of the other resistors on the board appear to be about 2.1k ohm. Is this an error in the schematics?

#2 4 years ago

Did you test the diodes on that coil?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Did you test the diodes on that coil?

Yes, diode is good.

BUT! I think I just found the issue. On closer inspection of the board, it looks like the trace from the TIP102 emitter is actually severed. The failure of the previous TIP must have blown it out.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

Q54 nothing there it’s missing a pre drive transistor

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Q54 nothing there it’s missing a pre drive transistor

I know, that's after I removed it to get a better look lol.

#6 4 years ago

Diverter is now working after the trace was repaired. Guess this thread turned out to be a bit pointless but it forced me to work through the issue methodically at least!

#7 4 years ago

Sometimes talking it out, helps you to find the solution. Happy flipping.

#8 4 years ago

Definitely not pointless; you had an unusual problem, and found the solution. May help more people out in the future!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-coil-not-firing-but-board-components-test-ok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.