You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20210124_205524 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey all, would like opinions on what to do here:

On my Getaway that I've had for about 3 years, I was finally looking into why it had a Kahr board on it. Followed most of PinWiki for low 5V: Reflowed J101 header pins, reflowed PDB ground pads, sanded rust off of 2 backplane mounting pads and replaced missing and rusty mounting screws. Now 9.2 V coming into PDB, 4.9 V out (a little low?). Removed the Kahr board and no resets so far.

Anyway, I realized BRs 1-4 were previously replaced, all are nearly tight to the board and no heat sink on BR1/2. I don't think a heat sink will go on as is because they are at different heights. Not sure how it would go getting them off the board because I might not be able to cut legs first.

So the question is leave as is until a BR blows or do a preemptive strike?

20210124_205524 (resized).jpg20210124_205524 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Remove the solder on BR. Slide up or down as needed. Put a heat sink across both. Then reflow solder.

Or cut a heat sink in half and put part of it on both.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Great idea with cutting the heat sink in 2. Thanks Lloyd!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or cut a heat sink in half and put part of it on both.

Please don't do this, this is NOT a best practice and you will actually be reducing the heatsinks ability shed heat from both your 5V and 18V rectifiers

Please look over the PinWiki page on this.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Failed_Bridge_Rectifier
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 3 years ago

Although I don't agree with cutting the heat sink in half - there is sound reasoning as to why to do this.

When you have one device connected to a heat sink - he controls the thermal expansion and his leads expand proportionally. But there is still some differential between the leads. With only one device, this expansion is slight and you normally don't need to worry about thermal expansion.

With two or more devices connected to the heat sink - one of the devices will always heat up more than the others. This puts stress on all of the devices due to variances in thermal expansion. The proper method to mount more than one device to a heat sink is to thermally relieve the legs of the device -- small kinks in the legs.

For this - I use a "Merry" PC1 lead bender.
https://www.nilemerry.com/PC1-PC-Forming-Pliers-for-bending-lead-wires
Great tool, horrible website and difficult to see what it does. It puts small kinks in leads to allow thermal expansion - about 2mm long. Normally used for TO-220 type transistors but can be used for bridge rectifiers as well.

Hakko also sells lead forming tools but their website is even worse for determining what they do.

2 weeks later
#6 3 years ago

It wasn't my preference to cut the heat sink but i figured that had the least risk. The game played with no issues since i had it without heat sinks and the BRs are nearly touching the board so no room to cut legs first to replace them. I have a solder sucker but not a desoldering gun and didn't want to risk making things worse.

I saw that PinWiki about cutting the heat sink and read it as not recommended but still an option.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-br1-br2-no-heat-sink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.