(Topic ID: 159032)

WPC A-12738 Needs to "Warm Up" for Good Audio?

By scupbucket

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Biglouie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Is it normal for WPC A-12738 audio boards to get louder as the game warms up? I have the volume set at 7 which initially seems very quiet, sfx are faint, and barely any noticeable bass. After about 30-45 min of game play it gets louder and sounds great! For the heck of it I pulled the board and reflowed all connectors, reseated ROMs… no difference. Thoughts? Thx!

#2 7 years ago

i am not that familiar with this board, but sounds like failing electrolytic capacitor.

To start i would check the +12 and -12v cold(assuming it uses those voltages) and then check again once warm.

#3 7 years ago

Yea agreed. Problem is perhaps not even in the audio board. Verify input 12v first.

#4 7 years ago

Input reads a bit higher than 12v cold (normal?).

#5 7 years ago

Ok... I'm getting -12.1 and +11.9 at U3 and U4. Seems voltage checks out fine? From a lot of what I've been reading this in fact may be a capacitor on it's way out but I'm not sure which exact one to start at. I'm considering just replacing all the caps at this point. Soldering is fun.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Getting closer figuring this out I think. Here's what I did just in case anyone has a similar problem down the road.

I replaced the 47uf caps at C15, C18, C34, C36, C38, and replaced the 1uf tantalum caps at C46 and C47. While I was at it, I also corrected R23 and R24 to 150k ohm from the 56k ohm that were originally in place. Finally, I read about adding a 4.7 ohm / 2 watt resistor to the backbox speakers to bring the mids and highs down a bit allowing more bass to the foreground... holy crap what a HUGE difference!!! I can hear Arnold much better, I'm hearing sounds in the game I didn't before, very solid (not cabinet shaking) bass, and I can keep the volume up around 9-10. Sounds are clear even at higher volumes. Before I'd have it at 7 and it was just noise.

It still gets a tad louder after warming up but not a dramatic difference as before and the sound isn't all high end nails on a chalkboard. I still have some poking around to do...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from scupbucket:

Getting closer figuring this out I think. Here's what I did just in case anyone has a similar problem down the road.
I replaced the 47uf caps at C15, C18, C34, C36, C38, and replaced the 1uf tantalum caps at C46 and C47. While I was at it, I also corrected R23 and R24 to 150k ohm from the 56k ohm that were originally in place. Finally, I read about adding a 4.7 ohm / 2 watt resistor to the backbox speakers to bring the mids and highs down a bit allowing more bass to the foreground... holy crap what a HUGE difference!!! I can hear Arnold much better, I'm hearing sounds in the game I didn't before, very solid (not cabinet shaking) bass, and I can keep the volume up around 9-10. Sounds are clear even at higher volumes. Before I'd have it at 7 and it was just noise.
It still gets a tad louder after warming up but not a dramatic difference as before and the sound isn't all high end nails on a chalkboard. I still have some poking around to do...

Nice. Sounds like you got it covered. I wouldnt worry about it to much. Heat can change resistance of components. I know in my car if i crank up the volume i notice it quiets down after a few minute.... probably because the amps are heating up.

I will have to look into adding the resistors to the speakers. My Getaway probably uses the same setup.

Andrew

3 years later
#8 4 years ago

I get some strange repeating sound effects at cold start on my Getaway....they seem to disappear after warm up.. very odd.

I can't imagine what would cause a rogue sound to be played!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.95
$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-a-12738-needs-to-warm-up-for-good-audio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.