10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kse001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hello,

I am putting a MB back together and have run into some strangeness. There are a variety of issues, but I suspect that they are related. Note that the game in question is a re-import. I converted it back to 120v according to the information in this post: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-conversion-220v-to-110v-europe-to-north-america

I've got the major assemblies back in the game, and this is what I am noticing:

1) Neither motor associated with the Frankenstein table/up down target runs. I've tested for continuity along all wires back to the P/D board and also found 12v at the power pin on both EMI motor control boards. The motors never run, even when the game boots. The Dracula motor, other solenoids, and flash lamps all run fine.
2) At boot I get "check switch" errors on both sets of switches associated with the above motors (#81, #82, #83, and #84). All of these test fine in the switch tests. Switches #85 and #86 work fine, so it does not seem the whole row is affected.
3) When I got the game, someone had cut the wires on the flipper IDC connectors and wired them to leaf switches. I replaced these with the correct opto flipper switches and returned the wires to the IDC connectors. However neither flipper switch registers in the switch tests. I can see that the emitter is shining light when viewing through a digital camera. I have tested the wires for continuity back to the appropriate pins on the CPU board and P/D board. Needless to say, the flippers never fire. Except for...
4) When I close the coin door (or more accurately the top interlock switch) the left flipper fires and holds (more slowly than normal) and then after the left one is held in the upper position the right flipper slowly raises (slower than the left one) and holds too. This happens only when the top interlock switch is closed, and is independent of all other switch activity.

As mentioned, I've checked the continuity on all the wires, verified the wiring of the interlock switches against other WPC-95 games, run through the standard switch matrix tests with a test lead, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions from others about what might be going on. Thanks,

Kyle

#3 10 years ago

I wound up forcing assemblies powered by the motors through a full cycle by running leads from the 12v and ground directly to them. Once I did that, the motors and switches started working as expected. Will need to look at the flippers and flipper optos next.

Kyle

3 weeks later
#5 10 years ago

I was looking through my old posts and finally noticed your response to this. It turned out to be much simpler. Figured I would post the solution in case anyone else was following this:

On the game I have, someone had hacked it to use leaf switches for the flippers rather than the proper opto boards. I had bought replacement board/spring/interrupters from PPS and installed them. After several hours of messing around checking wiring, swapping parts between games, etc. I finally convinced myself the boards had to be bad. I contacted PPS and they suggested trying to color the white interrupter blades with a black Sharpie. Seemed kind of crazy, but by that point I was just ready for a solution. Viola' - it was fixed. Still not completely sure I understand that - maybe the white color was reflecting the opto beam? Anyway, that did the trick.

Now I just need to figure out how the Frank hit switch needs to be adjusted and I'll have a perfectly working game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 75.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kse001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-95-switch-and-motor-oddities?tu=kse001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.