Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I need a WPC95 AV board for my NGG. I can't find one anywhere.

#2 2 years ago

do you have the original board? Most often they can repaired.

#3 2 years ago

Sent it out. Not looking good.

#4 2 years ago

Where did you send your WPC95 AV board for repair? Please let us know if the repair is successful. I have a AFM WPC95 AV board that needs repair and I need a good referral.

#5 2 years ago

K's arcade. I spoke with him yesterday. He fixed the video part and said he will continue to work on the audio, but it's pretty borked.

#6 2 years ago

I came across this listing recently on ebay: ebay.com link » Williams Wpc 95 Audio Visual Board 5760 14495 10 Pinball Pcb Parts Or Repair

I'm not sure where the model # is from, but it looks correct. Idk why the AV boards are so hard to find, especially when you can get any of the other boards pretty readily.

#7 2 years ago

Be patient, they still do and will come up for sale.
Both originals and the Rottendog remakes.
Just be ready to pay when you do, the replacement has jumped cost from $295 to $500-600.

For people that are not aware the reason they are hard to find is they have obsolete electronic parts that no longer exist commercially, and was part of the reason Rottendog stopped making them several years ago.
This is one PCB hobbyists should NOT attempt to repair for themselves, unless they have the necessary experience and tools.

#8 2 years ago

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

The audio on almost all pinball machines from any era was designed and built using what was state of the art parts at the time. This area of electronics moved very quickly and as a result audio chips and solid state audio recording and play devices changed drastically and rapidly making something that was 'state of the art' just a year ago, wildly obsolete.

These days we take MP3 and other solid state audio (and now video as well) recording as commonplace and mainstream but it certainly wasn't in the earlier days of pinball.

Recreating these audio pinball boards is practically impossible unless newer techniques are used such as MP3.

#9 2 years ago

I had similar issues with my Rottendog wpc95 av board out of mt Congo earlier this year. Like BlackNight said, some of the chips are no longer produced so repros are no longer available. Best chance is to scan ebay regularly and be prepared to pay $300+. I sent my board back to Rottendog for repairs. Good thing is they fixed it for free but it took a very long time. To their credit, the repairs did not sound easy. There are others on pinside that sound extremely skilled at repairing boards so I would definitely try all you can to reapir the board you have. Mine just needed chip resoldering. You may also want to check out pinsound boards that upgrade the sound quality. I believe you still need the wpc95 av board to work with it - probably for video. Good luck.

2 weeks later
#10 2 years ago

Bump. I desperately need one. There has to be one in need of a new home somewhere out there.....

2 months later
#11 2 years ago

How did you go? Did you ever find one?

#12 2 years ago

Could offer a Wpc 95 AV board
(original vor rottendog)

But shipping from germany.

Pm if interested

#13 2 years ago

Mine was sent off for repairs several months ago to K's arcade. I just rec'd it back last week and all is good. They said it was pretty jacked up.

#14 2 years ago

I actually was not aware that these boards were no longer being reproduced, or that reproduction or even repair was so complicated. Does this mean that all WPC95 games are doomed? This seems like a pretty common failure point.

#15 2 years ago

I have all parts and equipment to repair these. Not always easy or fun, but certainly doable.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I have all parts and equipment to repair these. Not always easy or fun, but certainly doable.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

I can vouch for Rob (not that he needs it). I had a re-import that the AV board was DOE. Rob did an awesome job on getting it running and looking good.

#17 2 years ago

The A/V board is pretty complex and thankfully none I've repaired needed SMT work. The parts are still floating around, but my SMT skills are very beginnerish.

Rob is a good resource who is willing to repair these. Even the traces in the HV section of these are finer than they were on the previous generation of WPC display controllers. Proceed with caution, and know your limits!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I actually was not aware that these boards were no longer being reproduced, or that reproduction or even repair was so complicated. Does this mean that all WPC95 games are doomed? This seems like a pretty common failure point.

No, unless an owner decides to hack up their board.
I refuse to work on these boards myself due to traces.
This is an Achilles heel for games that use this combined board for now.
This will certainly change in the future, as I suspect an improved replacement will be created out of necessity, just like other boards of the past.

There was a time for example that GTB System 80 and System 1 were "doomed" as well, and that was less than 15 years ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 3.70
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside