(Topic ID: 212869)

WPC-95 A/V Board artifacting

By The_Director

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0986 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

We installed a color DMD in this game and noticed some slight artifacting, not on every screen, but on a few. I've included a picture below of the "Williams" logo screen which it is worst on. All ribbon cables have been replaced and the game works fine with no artifacting with a different A/V board from another game installed and the same ribbon cables. I reflowed all the pins for the ribbons and that cleaned it up some but still just a slight amount of artifacting in that right corner of the display. At first I was getting a RAM error in display test, that has cleaned up and RAM tests have passed OK every time since now. I think the issue lies in the J601 connector through to the U26 chip. Not a lot of documentation though on the logic of these boards. Before I start probing, wanted to check if anyone has encountered this before? Is it possible the ribbon pins could need replacement and aren't connecting well in the female housing? Are there failures on the U26 at times? Anything else I should do before going down the path of checking for stuck or floating lines? Should I focus on the RAM even though the error has since gone away since I did get a RAM error before? Thanks all

IMG_0986 (resized).jpgIMG_0986 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I have installed a lot of ColorDMDs never seen this problem. What did ColorDMD say about it?

#3 6 years ago

It's not the color DMD. I swapped the A/V board with another game and it was fine. So, issue is somewhere past the ribbon cables into the board logic or joints

#5 6 years ago

This ended up being a ribbon cable issue. Tried two brand new ribbons with same issue, so the ribbons I ordered must have been shot or a bad batch. Tried a 4 connector ribbon off a WPC game just for the heck of it and works great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-95-av-board-artifacting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.