(Topic ID: 174414)

WPC-95 AV-board

By Inkochnito

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0739 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0738 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2492 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2493 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2494 (resized).JPG
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'd always prefer an original board over a replacement board.

I think everyone would, but better than having a dead game.

#52 7 years ago

I'd always prefer an original board over a replacement board.

Yep me too. And one reason I have a spare NOS WPC-95 A/V board. But if I had to use an aftermarket board to get a game running I definitely would.

#53 7 years ago

So much talk about people wanting to buy a spare board. I'm not hearing too much about getting original boards repaired.

It will be good if someone can take some time and ask around and make a post of all the people/businesses that will still repair this board. I would hate to hear of any board that gets tossed out instead of being sent out for repair just because of a replacement board was bought. I do hear some people actually toss boards in the trash, not knowing who can repair them.

Some I am aware of who do repair this A/V board.
    Rob Anthony
    Coin-op Cauldran
    K's Arcade

#54 7 years ago

So much talk about people wanting to buy a spare board. I'm not hearing too much about getting original boards repaired.
    It will be good if someone can take some time and ask around and make a post of all the people/businesses that will still repair this board. I would hate to hear of any board that gets tossed out instead of being sent out for repair just because of a replacement board was bought. I do hear some people actually toss boards in the trash, not knowing who can repair them.
    Some I am aware of who do repair this A/V board.
    Rob Anthony
    Coin-op Cauldran
    K's Arcade

I would love to send it in for repair.
    Can you post a link to their respective websites?
    I imagine the shipping cost would be cheaper than a new board at this stage.
    Even from Europe....

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Rob Anthony ( posts here as Borygard )

http://www.lockwhenlit.com/

LTG : )

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

I would love to send it in for repair.
    I imagine the shipping cost would be cheaper than a new board at this stage.
    Even from Europe....

Internet search found the others quickly.

http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/Index.html

https://ksarcade.net/

Though, there bound to be someone who repairs boards on your side of the world. Check with Robin, as he lives in Holland, to see if he knows anyone.

#57 7 years ago

If anyone is having an issue with their A/V board, post some information about the failure. If it is DMD related, include the voltages that are on the power connector to the DMD.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

In have 2000 Asics and blank boards, will look at doing a batch

That would be great if you could bring brand new boards to the market.

#59 7 years ago

If anyone is having an issue with their A/V board, post some information about the failure. If it is DMD related, include the voltages that are on the power connector to the DMD.

One of the failures is the two small black capacitors (C28 and C42) on the board.
    They dry up and do not regular voltage correctly.
    This was an under design from WMS similar to problems that occur with age on WPC PDBs.
    Many times this is simply a failure due to heat from use of the board under commercial conditions.
    I have seen quite of few cap sets replaced on this board since 1998.
    I need to look up the schematics on some of the other basic failure of components that get fried.
    As long as the ASIC chip and few other components are not completely jacked up the board is repairable.
    Tracework on this board is delicate, and heat and age do not help matters.
    I again caution repair of this board is not for novices.

I would gladly buy 2X replacement tested A/V boards for $350-400 each, which would be my limit for costs of production of new board.
    That would be equitable if produced in sufficient volume for the work required to manufacture the PCB.
    I don't see a production run being large enough with available parts to be able to get the cost down below $250 as the ICs are just to damn hard to come by overall. Nobody has used this for over a decade+.
    In about 5 years, we will be exactly in the same position we were with WPC games in 2001.
    If a manufacturer wants to "tool up", I would enjoy seeing a working prototype based on Ed's work.

#60 7 years ago

If anyone is having an issue with their A/V board, post some information about the failure.

About six years ago I had DMD voltage go out. Can't recall which voltage of the three. Bought my desoldering iron specifically for the purpose of fixing this expensive board. Paid for itself right there.

Only repaired the one voltage circuit and left the other two unmolested. Still going strong, so far. I had some board repair experience with an old fashion solder sucker so not a total newbie. Definitely do not recommend working on this board as your first!

Eric

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

One of the failures is the two small black capacitors (C28 and C42) on the board.
    They dry up and do not regular voltage correctly.
    This was an under design from WMS similar to problems that occur with age on WPC PDBs.
    Many times this is simply a failure due to heat from use of the board under commercial conditions.
    I have seen quite of few cap sets replaced on this board since 1998.
    I need to look up the schematics on some of the other basic failure of components that get fried.
    As long as the ASIC chip and few other components are not completely jacked up the board is repairable.
    Tracework on this board is delicate, and heat and age do not help matters.
    I again caution repair of this board is not for novices.

This rings a bell....
    My board seems to reboot every second.
    I'll test it once I get my board back.

1 week later
    #62 7 years ago

Here is a video from the game when booting and in play.

What do you think?
    Just notice the led on the AV-board.
    It keeps blinking irregular.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Here is a video from the game when booting and in play.
    » YouTube video
    What do you think?
    Just notice the led on the AV-board.
    It keeps blinking irregular.

Did you replace the MPU board? Try reseating the ribbon cable on both ends at plugs into the left side of the A/V board and to the MPU board (looks to be the top right side).

Push on the ASIC chip of the MPU and any other socketed parts.

Do you have a friend that has a WPC95 game that you can verify the A/V board is faulty if either item above does not help?

#64 7 years ago

Do the ASICs on the AV board fail that often? I haven't come across a failure before. 90% of what I see fail on that board are the C28 and C42 caps.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

90% of what I see fail on that board are the C28 and C42 caps.

For a sound issue?

#66 7 years ago

For a sound issue?

No, those caps are for rolling DMD issue which I've encountered a decent amount of times. Just curious to the rate of failure others have encountered with the ASIC on that board.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

No, those caps are for rolling DMD issue which I've encountered a decent amount of times.

Yeah. I fixed a Congo for that issue 5 years ago. I forgot what part location those capacitors were.

#68 7 years ago

I have a brand new out-of-the-box Rottendog mpu board in the game.
    I exchanged the AV-board with a known working AV-board and all is good.
    Verified the original AV-board is bad in another Junk Yard game, same result.
    It really is the AV-board that's faulty.

#69 7 years ago

Try pressing on different chips/parts of the board and see if that changes anything. The audio in my Congo was cutting out and would work if you pressed on the left side of the board. As soon as you let off, sound would cut off. I think it was the asic chip that needed to be resoldered.

4 weeks later
    #70 7 years ago

Would anyone know why the 501 fuse would immediately blow on power up on this board? Thanks in advance. I'm finding very little if any info on these boards.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderchimp:

Would anyone know why the 501 fuse would immediately blow on power up on this board? Thanks in advance. I'm finding very little if any info on these boards.

Possibly one of the bypass capacitors is shorted? That or the audio amp is cactus?

Sounds like you need to send it of to a board repairer if you have limited electronic repair knowledge. I wouldn't mess with it as you might introduce an un-repairable problem.

#72 7 years ago

Homepin,
    Thanks for the reply. Last night I started poking around a bit with a meter and found that diode D20, which has a trace to that same fuse (501) is reading 000 whereas the others 3 (D19, 21, 22) are all reading around .490. The only symptom in the game is a VUK firing repeatedly, which I'm not sure is related to that yet (one problem at a time). I do have enough repair skills to replace diodes, transistors, etc. but really no skills in diagnosing problems on boards. Thanks again!

1 week later
    #73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

I have a brand new out-of-the-box Rottendog mpu board in the game.
    I exchanged the AV-board with a known working AV-board and all is good.
    Verified the original AV-board is bad in another Junk Yard game, same result.
    It really is the AV-board that's faulty.

Great. Did you find anyone on your side of the world to repair the board? I'm not familiar who repairs boards outside of the U.S.

#74 7 years ago

Great. Did you find anyone on your side of the world to repair the board? I'm not familiar who repairs boards outside of the U.S.

Nope, not jet.
    I'm considering sending the board to Clive or Rob, but have to do some testing first.
    Maybe I'm able to fix it here, but I'm not sure.

3 weeks later
    #75 7 years ago

Send it to Ron Anthony for repair. He stated he has parts to fix these boards

Haven't heard of Ron before, does he do good work?

As for me repairing these boards, not a problem. Should have enough parts to keep up with repairs for quite a while.

I'll definitely echo what's been said here, this is not a board you want to test your skills on. It's very delicate, ultra fine traces, and getting more difficult to find replacements all the time.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Haven't heard of Ron before, does he do good work?
    As for me repairing these boards, not a problem. Should have enough parts to keep up with repairs for quite a while.
    I'll definitely echo what's been said here, this is not a board you want to test your skills on. It's very delicate, ultra fine traces, and getting more difficult to find replacements all the time.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Sorry Rob. There isn't a spell check on people's names.

#77 7 years ago

The board will be on its way to Rob for repair.
    Thanks for all your help here.
    Maybe Rob can let us know here what was wroung with the board.

#78 7 years ago

Sorry Rob. There isn't a spell check on people's names.

Well at least the N and B are right aside each other on the keyboard

2 months later
    #79 7 years ago

I've just got word from Rob.
    He has found some bad solder joints, 2 bad resistors and a failing ASIC.
    All is working now.
    I must say I'm glad I had send the board to Rob for repair.
    I would never have found these problems.

#80 6 years ago

Apparently using an older WPC board for DMD functionality works--according to @mocean.

Using a PinSound board to bypass the audio circuit on the AV board on WPC 95 machine absolutely works--have done this with Monster Bash, and am still using the AV board for DMD functionality.

So apparently using a combination of an older AV board for DMD plus a PinSound for audio, you can completely remove the AV/95 board. The only thing I haven't seen/heard confirmed/done for this is using the older boards for DMD on WPC 95.

9 months later
    #81 6 years ago

So, where can we find now WPC-95 replacement AV boards?

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

No guarantees you will find any more new ones. Have an original that is not working? Send it to Rob Anthony for repair.

#83 6 years ago

No guarantees you will find any more new ones. Have an original that is not working? Send it to Rob Anthony for repair.

That's a long way from Rio....

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

There was the workaround to use a WPC-89 DMD board with a pinsound board to replace a WPC-95 AV board.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There was the workaround to use a WPC-89 DMD board with a pinsound board to replace a WPC-95 AV board.

Now that's better news!

Where can I find detailed instructions please?

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Now that's better news!
    Where can I find detailed instructions please?

Buy a PinSound and an old WPC89/WPCDCS Dmd Board. Completely remove the WPC95 A/V board.

Hook up the PinSound per their instructions. It’s not hard but it is a lot of steps. You may have to get creative with where you mount it.

Hook up th DMD board and connect the remaining DMD ribbon connector to that board, plus power. Done!

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Buy a PinSound and an old WPC89/WPCDCS Dmd Board. Completely remove the WPC95 A/V board.
    Hook up the PinSound per their instructions. It’s not hard but it is a lot of steps. You may have to get creative with where you mount it.
    Hook up th DMD board and connect the remaining DMD ribbon connector to that board, plus power. Done!

Well.... THANKS!!!!

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

That's a long way from Rio....

There has bound to be someone who repairs boards on your side of the world. What issue do you have with it? If it is high voltage, you can repair that yourself if you can solder. There is a kit of parts available for it.

#90 6 years ago

I have a very limited supply of both new RD WAV095 and original repaired WPC95 A/V boards. Fair warning, neither are cheap, email me directly if interested.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I have a very limited supply of both new RD WAV095 and original repaired WPC95 A/V boards. Fair warning, neither are cheap, email me directly if interested...

These are gone. No more emails please.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

11 months later
    #92 5 years ago

I have 10 Brand new wpc95 AV boards

new components on NOS boards

#93 5 years ago

Nice... you can make alot more also correct? Do u have a website to order from or check prices?

#94 5 years ago

Rottendog is now making their version again. They are in stock.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Rottendog is now making their version again. They are in stock.

Where?

And Thanks Wayne, Ill check it out.

#96 5 years ago

I have a Rottendog A/V board, $380 shipped.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Where?

And Thanks Wayne, Ill check it out.

Big daddy has them on ebay

#98 5 years ago

http://LockWhenLit.com/RD.htm

Under CPUs and Controllers.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#99 5 years ago

I bought last two new Rottendog ones a guy had for $660 shipped and could use one more if anyone can do say $340 shipped on one!

#100 5 years ago

ours are $550US shipped but are Williams boards

new and tested

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-95-av-board-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.