5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by neophob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi
    I'm writing a WPC-89 Emulator, which works pretty well until now. One problem is, that I don't know how to simulate a ball drain.

So my question is, which switches must be enabled that the WPC "detects" a ball is lost?
    For example I know that the TROUGH switches need to be enabled to start a game (depends on the game), for example for Hurricane TROUGH 1, TROUGH 2 and TROUGH 3 must be enabled (plus of course the ALWAYS ENABLED switch).

Unfortunately I don't own a WPC pinball yet, so I hope you guys can help me out here.

#2 5 years ago

A few things I've noticed on my WPC games:

If the game has physical ball locks, and a game ends with 1 or more balls in the locks (and not in the trough), and the player quickly starts a new game before the game can kick them out to drain, the game will begin a new game just fine (without a ball search or "PINBALL MISSING" display. When the game is played, it adjusts the game rules to account for the locked balls (i.e. if you lock a ball for the first time, It'll kick it back out from the lock and not the trough, as if you were playing a multiplayer game where someone already locked those balls). Not sure if that was relevant to anything that you're doing, but it's definitely worth mentioning if you haven't ever noticed it before.

To answer your question about a ball drain, and what detects a lost ball, it's a two step situation I've observed. On my White Water, if a ball drains into the outhole, but it is NOT kicked into the trough, the game will begin the end of ball jingle, but quickly realize that it hasn't been kicked into the trough. It'll then snap back to "main game play" but also cycle a ball search. In order for the game to properly end a ball, the ball needs to drain into the outhole, get kicked into the trough, and depending on what balls are locked on the playfield, activate one of the ball trough switches.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks @mbaumle for your reply. I was testing the easy case for now, without any locked balls.

Thanks to your input i'm close to figure it out - the ball lost detection is only detected by using the TROUGH and OUTHOLE switch. I did not found the solution yet but I could trigger the "game over" screen several times now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-simulate-ball-drain?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.