You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

So I moved my TZ into my friend’s house on a temporary trade for an Avengers LE. All was good prior to moving, once we got the TZ up my hill, into my car, 30 minutes away, down his steps, and set up, the sound no longer worked. No start up tone, no noise at all coming from the speaker. Everything else seems to be functional (a 3 ball silent game). After 2 hours of troubleshooting. We determined all LEDs on board worked according to manual, all fuses were good (removed and tested with multimeter, all connectors reseated. Finally we discovered no power was coming off of J114 on the P.C.B. to the audio board. We tested on the pins on the PCB. Well crud, moving the TZ is a pain, so how to fix remotely. He is a pin guy. We removed the TZ PCB board which had visual repairs on the back, but had never given me issues. I took the P.C.B. out of the Twilight Zone home and put it in my ST:TNG. It worked flawlessly, to include power coming off of the J114 connector. If I unplug the J114 connector in my ST:TNG the sound stops. So there was power coming off of J114 in the ST:TNG but not in the TZ using the same board. I left my known 100% and working perfectly PCB from my ST:TNG at my friend’s work this morning and hopefully that works tonight.

My questions are, is there anything I am missing? In the event that 2 separate boards (will test tonight) when inserted into a machine do not have power coming off of J114, one of them a known 100% good and tested 24 hours earlier, what is my next troubleshooting step? What step before the PCB that could go wrong would cause J114 to not get power but only J114? Other than throwing in the known good board, what else is there?
Thanks for your troubleshooting help!

#2 3 years ago

There is a lot of missing technical details here.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Finally we discovered no power was coming off of J114 on the P.C.B. to the audio board.

More information is needed on how you tested this as J114 on the PDB powers every WPC board. But if I had to guess this is a wiring or header issue.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I took the P.C.B. out of the Twilight Zone home and put it in my ST:TNG. It worked flawlessly, to include power coming off of the J114 connector. If I unplug the J114 connector in my ST:TNG the sound stops.

Unless you have an alternate +5V power source to your CPU a lot more than the sound should have stopped as removing this connector should hold all boards in a reset (blanking) condition.

My questions are, is there anything I am missing?

Yes, you obviously have power at J114 or nothing would work as J114 powers the following boards:
+5 and +12 to CPU board
+5 and +12 to Fliptronics II Board
+5 to Sound Board
+5 and +12 to Display controller

I would start by removing J3 from the sound board and measuring the power on the connector, if its missing start following it back.

#3 3 years ago

Friend fixed it so never mind. Thanks! I appreciate the write up.

#4 3 years ago

Cool, looked like it should have been fairly easy to find, just to close out the thread what was found?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Cool, looked like it should have been fairly easy to find, just to close out the thread what was found?

Thank you for looking into this, really. I know you put time into this and I appreciate it. Short note above was on a phone to stop people putting more time in. I am on a keyboard now so can answer better. I gave my friend a known good PCB out of my ST:TNG and after installation, the sound still didn't work. The readings coming of the J114, or that it was dead, were erroneous (the readings were taken by a few people as there were three of us staring at this thing originally yesterday). My friend traced the wires as I had done before, and accidently disconnected the connections in the wire off of J114. Upon putting replacing the connector, the sound came on. So, something vibrated loose during the move, improper troubleshooting was done with a bad multimeter reading (probably me), and after switching boards the intermediate connections were checked, fixing the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 22.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
8,700 (Firm)
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Woodridge, IL
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.