1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello, need help, WPC 89 Getaway,
    switch trouble, on switch # 78 (shooter) in the closed position it activates coil # 2 (up ramp),
    if the game is in play and you want to throw the ball with the gear lever, coil # 2 is activated instead of # 12 (plunge kicker). In Switch and Coil test mode, everything is ok the trouble does not come from the boards I have tried with another board and always the same result

#2 1 year ago

This is one of those completely weird problems that you'll need to do some pretty exact troubleshooting and observation to fix.

Switch test and coil test are your friends!

In switch edges test, activate the shooter switch with the ball.

Then activate the Gear lever switch.

Look very carefully and see if the switches are working perfectly, AND that they do not activate anything but the switch they are assigned to. We are looking for two switches activating, or a whole row/column.

Then do the same kind of thing in the coil test. Check to see that the correct coil (up ramp, plunge kicker) is activating, and only the correct coil.

Do a careful inspection with the playfield raised and check for a terminal or wiring on the coils that might be pinched together, or touching something inappropriately.

Also check the wiring to the switches.

I'd particularly check the plunger coil, and look carefully to make sure the terminals aren't touching anything they shouldn't be when the playfield is in the closed position.

The gear lever can have pinched wires that only connect inappropriately when they are flexed in a particular way, so in switch test try your hardest to get the switch to fail by moving the gear lever to every position, tug on the wires (a little), try to force a failure.

This problem sounds like something touching that shouldn't, or a couple of things touching that shouldn't!

Let us know what you find!

#3 1 year ago

thank PinRetail , i have the same problem if i unplug the Gear Level , not possible comme from there
    thank you help

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from pit3239:

i have the same problem if i unplug the Gear Level

Well, that's... interesting.

(You never want your service guy to say that...) Hehe.

Seriously, that's good news, you've eliminated that as a problem.

Let us know about the switch and coil test results. I suspect that you will find the switches and coils work perfectly instead of something obvious, but when you've got a really unusual problem the best troubleshooting advice is to check all the simple stuff and make sure that you've got an exact understanding of what is and isn't working.

Let us know!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-getaway-hgh-speed-switch-issu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.