(Topic ID: 232810)

WPC-89 Funhouse died mid-game: Solution included.

By Zennmaster

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just a point of info if anyone encounters something similar.

Last night, as my daughter was schooling Rudy, the game just up and died, as if someone had unplugged it. Not a reset, just dead.

With a sudden loss of all functions, I initially assumed a fuse, but all fuses checked out after being removed for testing.

The power driver board had 3 LEDs illuminated. They were labeled "18v", "20V" and "LED 7" (12vdc). Nothing was illuminated on the MPU or any other board in the backbox. There was no indication of 5vdc anywhere on the board.

The signs seemed to indicate that this was a power-related failure, so I started investigating under that assumption. After following the 5V pathway as described on PinWiki, I eventually got to connector J101. I disconnected it and then reseated it with the intention of checking for voltages at the various test points on the power driver board. At that point, the game booted normally. Two of the pins on the J101 header were looking a little toasty, so I hit them with some DeOxit for the time being. I will be replacing header shortly. The connector had been replaced sometime in the past, and I may well replace it again, since it's not the type of connector I would have used, and I can't say for sure that it has Trifurcon pins.

I consider myself an intermediate pinball tech, and this was a pretty scary failure to experience. I write this in the hopes that someone with the same experience in the future will find this after a brief search and have something to try.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-funhouse-died-mid-game-solution-included and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.