• 49 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by lays526
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC89 CPU compnt nov2021.pdf (PDF preview)
WPC 95  4-1-21 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
wpc89_cpu_u8.jpg
Untitled (resized).png
switches schematic.jpg
audio sngl Ux.jpg
untitled (resized).png
20180306_200509 (resized).jpg
page3 part.jpg
U18 3+12 short.png
Untitled (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
SW MX test with wire.gif
wpc89-switch cqt voltage open-closed.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Have to say the WPC89 original schematic has by far the most errors on it of any pinball pcb i have tried to recreate. I don't think I have ever noticed a problem with old Bally schematics.
I almost wonder if they where worried someone like DE was going to rip off their engineering design again, but I guess that ASIC would be a road block. Probably just a bad schematic drawing and the guy doing the board layout fixed or changed a bunch of stuff that never made it in.
All fixed =D

Woah, woah, woah. What is this. Art-class for beginners?
untitled (resized).pnguntitled (resized).png
90 dregree, then 45, then 90 again?

Sheesh! Amateur!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have been professionally trained, by myself =D.
Why does everyone hate right angles on PCB design? The electrons are not going to fly out of alignment.
You should see what the autorouter does when you let it rip. It's like computer generated abstract art.

I was just teasing.

Personally, i was taught to use 45-degree angles - not for fear of losing electrons, but back in the earlier days of PCB, the copper 90'degree corners lifted a lot easier, leading to broken traces.

Quoted from schudel5:

Is anyone going to consolidate and correct all the mistakes and create a corrected version of the CPU schematics? It would be nice to put it in the WPC schematic booklet and void the original. I guess same goes with the PDB, sound, DMD driver and any other WPC boards if they are wrong.

Hell, the pre-DCS schematics (that I have, anyways) literally have two chips listed as "U?". Apparently, the schematics were never corrected once the final board went to manufacturer.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

you mean U1 and U5

Yup.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Did you notice the 'vcc' at U5-8 and u1-5 ? Better not connect them together because U1-5 is the +25V power for the amplifier.

In WMS defence there, the chip's 8designation* for that pin (i.e. What's marked in the datasheet) is VCC. However, if you follow the trace (which should always be done - never base net connections on what mfg's call/name chip pins) it is connected to the '+12A' signal.

I'm rebuilding a pre-DCS sound board (for my own use.. if it comes out successful, and others want it, I may have some made), and 99% of my time has been verifying what's on the schematic to what's actually on the board - not counting chips with multiple gates (i.e. 2 AND gates - I don't care if the schematics have the wrong fate listed.. Operationally it's still the same.)..

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes, verifying is time consuming with drwaing schematics and pictures.
That makes me think that the errors are not made deliberately in the manuals but caused by time frame limit.

I agree - usually deliberate errors (like what used to be done on paper maps years past) were OBVIOUS once you caught it, but were small enough that unless you were looking for it, it wouldn't get noticed. (A driveway with a road name? A road that makes a sharp turn to the right and dead ends?)..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
$ 85.00
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-cpu-board-info?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.