Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by uncivil_engineer
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

switches schematic.jpg
audio sngl Ux.jpg
untitled (resized).png
20180306_200509 (resized).jpg
page3 part.jpg
U18 3+12 short.png
Untitled (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
SW MX test with wire.gif
wpc89-switch cqt voltage open-closed.gif
diag flash.gif
WPC89 CPU small.PNG
ASIC WPC pinwiki --final--.jpg
WPC89 CPU solder-side ZAZA-1a.pdf (PDF preview)
WPC89 CPU compnt-side ZAZA-1a.pdf (PDF preview)
U9 flipped.jpg

#1 2 years ago

Work in progress picture of A-12742 WPC89 board with data+address lines.
Keep an eye on this thread for a more complete version soon. (jan.2017)

sneak pv.jpg

edit 2017jan13: --deleted-- Bigger Picture. Need to check all data but quite happy with it already.

edit 2017jan20: --deleted-- pdf test:

edit 2017jan21: (previous versions deleted) FINAL version:
WPC89 CPU compnt-side ZAZA-1a.pdf

only with PDF it will stay as an uncompressed bitmap so PDF it is.

#2 2 years ago

Oh wow, this will be nice. Thanks!

#3 2 years ago

Picture with colored resistors.
Handy for rebuild after leaking batteries damaged the lower part of the CPU-board.

scalable pdf:
cpu89 resistor.pdf

#4 2 years ago

Zaza, you're a tease! haha.
I hope you have plans to do WPC-S and WPC95 drawings as well.

#5 2 years ago

Yeas, I did also WPC-s and WPC95 layout but not as detailed as WPC'89. Not sure when/if I'm gonna finish them.

The mirrored version of WPC'89 (view from solder side) is also almost ready and will be placed here as well. (and likely on pinwiki).
There will be empty spaces in that picture to keep it more clear and only relevant to measure connections to ASIC and other data/address lines.

U9 flipped.jpg

Flipped version of the CPU-board. ASIC is easier to measure from this side.
pict:
WPC89 CPU solder-side ZAZA-1a.pdf

#6 2 years ago

Nice work, as usual, zaza.

#7 2 years ago

Final version ASIC : 2017/01/30
ASIC WPC pinwiki --final--.jpg

2 weeks later
#8 2 years ago

Amazing work. Thank you for the contributions.

1 week later
#9 2 years ago

tiny pic cpu-board:
WPC89 CPU small.PNG

L.E.D. function (from manual):
diag flash.gif

Voltage on switch inputs:
wpc89-switch cqt voltage open-closed.gif

2 months later
#10 2 years ago

I just found a broken trace on a board I was working on using your diagrams. Thank you!

3 months later
#11 1 year ago

switch matrix test with jumper wire:

(1) GND to ROW1-8 ___ (2) COLUMN1 to ROW1-8 ___ (3) ROW1 to COLUMN1-8
SW MX test with wire.gif

4 months later
#12 1 year ago

Great topic.
Can I get the pdf version of the layout?

ps. I got it

1 month later
#13 1 year ago

I just noticed a discrepancy between the WPC89 and WPC95 schematic with the ASIC chip. Pin 48 and pin 50 are reversed. I'd assume the WPC 95 schematic is correct because it is newer, but I havent checked a real PCB yet.

89 schem left. 95 schem right.
Untitled (resized).png

#14 1 year ago

Correct,

in the '89 manual, sw-dir and sw-row are wrong assigned.
The ASIC in post#7 has the correct pinout for all switch related pins in 'yellow'

The manual has also an inconsistentcy in sol#1-sol#4. On the page with WPC-CPU, the sol-enables are mixed up with the next pages of the PowerDriverBoard.
Therefor the ASIC picture in post #7, sol#1-#4 are accompanied with the actual solenoid group.
e.g. sol#1 = 25-28

#15 1 year ago

I believe this is another WPC89 schematic error. On the schematic drawing U17A and U17B need swapped compared to the PCB. U18A and U18B also need swapped on the schematic compared to the drawing.

Proposed corrections in red. This one needs double checked too. Looks like the schematic drawing got penciled in changed but the board didnt update. The WPC95 schem has the gates drawn the same way, so perhaps the change actually happened on later boards?? Might have been last minute change to make the track routing easier.

Untitled (resized).png

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

another WPC89 schematic error

And don't forget about the supply on pin 3 + 12 joined together. That will get messy

U18 3+12 short.png

Better use the full picture in post #1 when troubleshooting the switches, it is verified over and over again.
When I'm doing repairs on this CPU-board, all I need is that picture.

#17 1 year ago

Oh wow Zaza i didn't see that picture with the complete pin out because some bonehead marked it as "unsafe picture". I clicked show anyways and then bang.... Nice work. I recreated the entire schematic and that would have helped me out. Some moderator should "un hide" that picture.

#18 1 year ago

that would be me as I made it only visible for Pinsiders this way.
With settings 'auto hide' one level higher, you can see all hidden pictures without having to click them open.

1 month later
#19 1 year ago

Built a WPC 89 prototype today and found that J205 is all mixed on the schematic compared to a real PCB. Pin5 is key, not pin10. Pin10 is ground not pin11.

Looks like Zaza has the direct switches, ground, and the keying corrected on his pin out map. The enable pin is indeed still pin12 (goes to q1).

#20 1 year ago

You post more informative stuff with awesome diagrams and explanations in this one thread then some "arm chair wise-cracking" pinsiders do for 5-6 years.

Please don't ever leave, zaza.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

corrected on his pin out map

ah, remember the time when we had a paper manual in our toolkit. Nowadays it's all digital
page3 part.jpg

Quoted from NPO:

Please don't ever leave

thanks NPO,
don't worry, I won't leave this site.

#22 1 year ago

Have to say the WPC89 original schematic has by far the most errors on it of any pinball pcb i have tried to recreate. I don't think I have ever noticed a problem with old Bally schematics.

I almost wonder if they where worried someone like DE was going to rip off their engineering design again, but I guess that ASIC would be a road block. Probably just a bad schematic drawing and the guy doing the board layout fixed or changed a bunch of stuff that never made it in.

All fixed =D

20180306_200509 (resized).jpg

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Have to say the WPC89 original schematic has by far the most errors on it of any pinball pcb i have tried to recreate. I don't think I have ever noticed a problem with old Bally schematics.
I almost wonder if they where worried someone like DE was going to rip off their engineering design again, but I guess that ASIC would be a road block. Probably just a bad schematic drawing and the guy doing the board layout fixed or changed a bunch of stuff that never made it in.
All fixed =D

Woah, woah, woah. What is this. Art-class for beginners?
untitled (resized).png
90 dregree, then 45, then 90 again?

Sheesh! Amateur!

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Woah, woah, woah. What is this. Art-class for beginners?

90 dregree, then 45, then 90 again?
Sheesh! Amateur!

I have been professionally trained, by myself =D.

Why does everyone hate right angles on PCB design? The electrons are not going to fly out of alignment.

You should see what the autorouter does when you let it rip. It's like computer generated abstract art.

#25 1 year ago

Is anyone going to consolidate and correct all the mistakes and create a corrected version of the CPU schematics? It would be nice to put it in the WPC schematic booklet and void the original. I guess same goes with the PDB, sound, DMD driver and any other WPC boards if they are wrong.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have been professionally trained, by myself =D.
Why does everyone hate right angles on PCB design? The electrons are not going to fly out of alignment.
You should see what the autorouter does when you let it rip. It's like computer generated abstract art.

I was just teasing.

Personally, i was taught to use 45-degree angles - not for fear of losing electrons, but back in the earlier days of PCB, the copper 90'degree corners lifted a lot easier, leading to broken traces.

Quoted from schudel5:

Is anyone going to consolidate and correct all the mistakes and create a corrected version of the CPU schematics? It would be nice to put it in the WPC schematic booklet and void the original. I guess same goes with the PDB, sound, DMD driver and any other WPC boards if they are wrong.

Hell, the pre-DCS schematics (that I have, anyways) literally have two chips listed as "U?". Apparently, the schematics were never corrected once the final board went to manufacturer.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Is anyone going to consolidate and correct all the mistakes and create a corrected version of the CPU schematics?

Not me. Sometimes I make notes / corrections in the schematics with a marker or pencil like picture in post#21 or here below.

Quoted from Coyote:

two chips listed as "U?

you mean U1 and U5
audio sngl Ux.jpg

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from zaza:

you mean U1 and U5

Yup.

#29 1 year ago

Did you notice the 'vcc' at U5-8 and u1-5 ? Better not connect them together because U1-5 is the +25V power for the amplifier.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from zaza:

Did you notice the 'vcc' at U5-8 and u1-5 ? Better not connect them together because U1-5 is the +25V power for the amplifier.

In WMS defence there, the chip's 8designation* for that pin (i.e. What's marked in the datasheet) is VCC. However, if you follow the trace (which should always be done - never base net connections on what mfg's call/name chip pins) it is connected to the '+12A' signal.

I'm rebuilding a pre-DCS sound board (for my own use.. if it comes out successful, and others want it, I may have some made), and 99% of my time has been verifying what's on the schematic to what's actually on the board - not counting chips with multiple gates (i.e. 2 AND gates - I don't care if the schematics have the wrong fate listed.. Operationally it's still the same.)..

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

and 99% of my time has been verifying what's on the schematic to what's actually on the board

Yes, verifying is time consuming with drwaing schematics and pictures.
That makes me think that the errors are not made deliberately in the manuals but caused by time frame limit.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes, verifying is time consuming with drwaing schematics and pictures.
That makes me think that the errors are not made deliberately in the manuals but caused by time frame limit.

I agree - usually deliberate errors (like what used to be done on paper maps years past) were OBVIOUS once you caught it, but were small enough that unless you were looking for it, it wouldn't get noticed. (A driveway with a road name? A road that makes a sharp turn to the right and dead ends?)..

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from zaza:

ah, remember the time when we had a paper manual in our toolkit. Nowadays it's all digital

I still have my paper manual...I just need a magnifier to read it anymore

I need to pull the staples and make a high resolution PDF out of it

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I need to pull the staples and make a high resolution PDF out of it

Made a beginning, the switch circuits on the CPU'89-board. Number of corrections made... a lot:
switches schematic.jpg

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

need a magnifier to read it

Same here, reading glasses all over the place.

#35 1 year ago

I am typing in RED, like shown the post I made a few months back, on top of the WPC89 schematic PDF the errors I found which I can probably release.

With Zaza's help, I ~~~ THINK ~~~ , have found them all as i got my WPC89 prototype booting up and playing HSII just fine.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

as i got my WPC89 prototype booting up and playing HSII just fine.

well done ! congrats and respect

#37 1 year ago

Having poured through (and cursed at) my WPC schematic manual, I thank you for cleaning this stuff up. This will make working on these boards so much easier.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plainfield, IL
Boards
PinSound
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 28.00
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bloomington, IN
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Mascouche, QC
$ 269.99
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside