(Topic ID: 283086)

WPC 89 Coin Door Functions all dead

By JethroP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

MPU had some battery corrosion. I repaired and MPU is now booting into attract mode, but the test button on the door doesn't do anything. Also, cannot start a game because coins don't add credits. The service credit button doesn't do anything either. Seems like everything on the coin door is dead (except the slam switch on the door works). Any suggestions or tests/measurements to help me fix this problem?

#4 3 years ago

The battery did not appear to damage J205. I have checked the ground wire at pin 10 (pin 11 is an error on the schematic). Have verified the black wire and pin each measure ground. Also checked back to the coin door switch assembly. The black wire is intact and measures continuity to ground.

I traced each pin at J205 back to the diodes and there are no broken traces. I also checked diodes D11-D18 and found D15 shorted, which I replaced.

Is there a way to check U16 and U17? I have a DMM and Logic Probe, but not sure how to verify if these LM339's are working. Or is this the logical next place to check? Thank you for your guidance.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

When in doubt and not afraid to do board work, just replace them.
They are only 50 cent parts.
Put them in a socket too.

I'm always a little afraid to do board work, and I see the traces on this board are VERY tiny. The parts after shipping are about $4-$5 each. Don't want to replace good parts with good parts if I can help it.

Before I begin wholesale replacing parts, isn't it possible to check some voltages, resistances, enable signals, etc. to pinpoint the problem?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yes. It is possible and good practice. You need a logic probe and the schematics or the diagram I link, and someone to help press the buttons.

Thank you for the test procedure. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll work on it tomorrow when I am fresh and can concentrate. I'll report back the results.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yes. It is possible and good practice. You need a logic probe and the schematics or the diagram I link, and someone to help press the buttons.

FIXED! Thanks again Chris for guiding me to a solution.

The procedure led me to find a missing 12V supply to U16. Repaired that and all is working 100%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 72.50
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-coin-door-functions-all-dead?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.