Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DH_Matrix (resized).jpg
WPC-089MPULayout (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

- Hello, I replaced BR1 and BR 2. All TPs test out good and now Led 1 and Led 6 are lit but I still get the check F114 and F115 message but at least now I'm able to get into the menu.
-I also now get a broken gun message and all the balls load up in the shooter lane, all four. I did a switch test and I'm getting T3-11 thru 17 "GRND Short."
- D1 and D2 Diodes test out good and all fuses test out good. I also tested D2 to C1 and it tested for continuity.
- What should I try next?
Thank you for all you've done top help me with this problem. Hey, I learned how to replace bridge rectifiers, first time.
Robert

#2 1 year ago

Is this T2?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertbucs:

- Hello, I replaced BR1 and BR 2. All TPs test out good and now Led 1 and Led 6 are lit but I still get the check F114 and F115 message but at least now I'm able to get into the menu.
-I also now get a broken gun message and all the balls load up in the shooter lane, all four. I did a switch test and I'm getting T3-11 thru 17 "GRND Short."
- D1 and D2 Diodes test out good and all fuses test out good. I also tested D2 to C1 and it tested for continuity.
- What should I try next?
Thank you for all you've done top help me with this problem. Hey, I learned how to replace bridge rectifiers, first time.
Robert

Almost sounds like a blown chip(s) on the MPU U20 and/or U14 as well. Check for corrosion on the board and on connectors. Check for broken wires on J207. Review the attached pic for reference.
WPC-089MPULayout (resized).jpgWPC-089MPULayout (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Almost sounds like a blown chip(s) on the MPU U20 and/or U14 as well. Check for corrosion on the board and on connectors. Check for broken wires on J207. Review the attached pic for reference.
[quoted image]

Is a Dirty Harry pin. I replaced U20 earlier today and I don’t see any corrosion. I’m getting row 1 and row 3 Grnd Short message when I run switch tests.

By the way, thank you for responding. I’ll check U14 J207 and report back.
Robert

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

[quoted image]

Hey there, U14 is good, no cut wires J207.

Thank you,

#6 1 year ago

Try disconnecting J5 from the 16-opto board and see if the short goes away.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Good call Victor.I always forget that board has LM339's as well.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Good call Victor.I always forget that board has LM339's as well.

I’m such a newb, where’s J5 and 16 opto.

Thank you so much.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertbucs:

I’m such a newb, where’s J5 and 16 opto.
Thank you so much.

Just found J5 on 16 opto.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Hello, I unplugged it and I still get shorts on like Row 1 and Row 3 and the F114 -F115 fuse message. Thank you helping me troubleshoot.

Robert

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Robertbucs:

Hello, I unplugged it and I still get shorts on like Row 1 and Row 3 and the F114 -F115 fuse message. Thank you helping me troubleshoot.
Robert

Next, plug that board back in and unplug the trough boards, I believe there are 2 boards in that game. Unplug 1 at a time if they are wired so you can and see if the error goes away. Now you have ruled out Column 3 by unplugging the opto board, so lets look at Column 1 switches/components

DH_Matrix (resized).jpgDH_Matrix (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Next, plug that board back in and unplug the trough boards, I believe there are 2 boards in that game. Unplug 1 at a time if they are wired so you can and see if the error goes away.

This shouldn't make a difference. The ball trough boards in this machine are driven (controlled) by the 16-opto board. These trough opto boards are just plain LED transmitters and phototransistors. The sensing logic is on the 16-opto board. This is in contrast to the wide body machines (e.g. IJ or STTNG) where the ball trough receiver board has the sensing logic.

Quoted from Robertbucs:

Start by checking the +12VU and +12VR test points. Also check the corresponding LEDs for them. Consult the Pinwiki (https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards) for more information.

After reporting those values, please remove all the balls from the machine and post an image of the DMD after entering switch edge test (T.1). It should be an image of the active switches in the 8x8 switch matrix. If you post an image with J5 connected and disconnected for contrast that may help.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Next, plug that board back in and unplug the trough boards, I believe there are 2 boards in that game. Unplug 1 at a time if they are wired so you can and see if the error goes away. Now you have ruled out Column 3 by unplugging the opto board, so lets look at Column 1 switches/components[quoted image]

You guys are awesome. Pin working now with no grnd shorts. It was a brand new bad ULN2803 chip at U20. Wow, I’ve learned so much such a short amount of time. Great hobby and community.
Thanks,
Robert
USMC

#14 1 year ago

This shouldn't make a difference. The ball trough boards in this machine are driven (controlled) by the 16-opto board. These trough opto boards are just plain LED transmitters and phototransistors. The sensing logic is on the 16-opto board. This is in contrast to the wide body machines (e.g. IJ or STTNG) where the ball trough receiver board has the sensing logic.

Thanks Victor, Never too old to learn.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Start by checking the +12VU and +12VR test points. Also check the corresponding LEDs for them. Consult the Pinwiki (https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards) for more information.
After reporting those values, please remove all the balls from the machine and post an image of the DMD after entering switch edge test (T.1). It should be an image of the active switches in the 8x8 switch matrix. If you post an image with J5 connected and disconnected for contrast that may help.

Thanks Victor. I kinda always count on you to jump in, as I was unaware of that difference between the logic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-89-broken-gun-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.