(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reltham.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#351 10 years ago

There seems to be a lot of fuss going on here over mostly nothing. This issue is very simple. There is no gray area.

If you are making something that will not redistribute someone else's IP, then you do not need to worry about anything. You are legally safe, and this applies across the board in everything, not just pinball games.

If you are making something that will be redistributing someone else's IP, then you need to get permission from the IP owner. It's a simple thing to understand, and again it applies to everything, not just pinball games.

PPS & FAST have worked out an agreement that offers people a path to use Williams/Bally IP in their pinball game designs. So if you want to redistribute Williams/Bally IP in your pinball game design, they have a path that is easy for you to take. It's not the only path, as evident by MMR and BOP2.

Again if what you are distributing is your own work and doesn't include anyone else's IP, then you are free to do whatever you want with it. Also, if you are not distributing anything, and just making alterations to a game you own, then you are safe and need not worry.

Several of the PROC folks are making some really great designs. Some are "re-themes" where they are making something new, not using existing Williams/Bally IP. Some could be classified as "2.0" games where they are using Williams/Bally IP. Most of them appear to be one-off designs they are doing for themselves. So they likely won't run into any problems since they aren't going to be distributing anything. If I'm wrong and they do wish to redistribute Williams/Bally IP, then they'll need to work out a deal with PPS and/or WMS. A few of them have much bigger IP issues to deal with than the Williams/Bally one (doing TV show or movie themes). I don't think any of them need to stop what they are doing. I really hope they don't, because it's very inspiring and awesome work.

I personally own 2 PROC boards, a bunch of driver boards, and 2 of Mark's System 11 "adapter" boards. I am using one setup in a High Speed machine in order to experiment while I develop my C/C++ framework for making pinball games (something akin to the python stuff they have already, but I not a python fan so...). I have several System 11 machines, so I'll use the other in one of those once I have my framework done to a level that I can make something worthwhile on it. I also made a small contribution to the PROC software to help it work with the PDLED boards.

I've also Helped Ben Heck with propeller code for the sound driver in AMH, and I am working with Parker (board (co)designer for PinHeck and designer of his own "Tommy" board) to make software for his board. I'll be helping Aaron with software for FAST as well.

I'm helping all of these folks because I think they are all doing great work to advance the pinball market. I see no reason to "pick sides". I'll continue to use and work with all of them as much as I am able.

FYI, I intend to have my C/C++ framework operate with PROC, FAST, Tommy, PinHeck, and any other hardware that comes along and allows it. It's intended to be at a higher level, and will interface with the various drivers for each piece of hardware. I also intend for it to be open source.

Anyway, this post help in some way...

#354 10 years ago

Sonny_Jim,
PPS doesn't get to decide what is your original IP and what is not. He can only identify your usage of Williams/Bally IP and attempt to protect that usage. If you are not using any Williams/Bally IP, then he can't pursue you legally on that front.

See this article on the derivative work topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work That holds more weight that anything PPS can say or do on the subject. Nothing against PPS here, just stating the legal facts that he must abide by just as you must.

Your concerns are addressed by the existing copyright and IP laws that apply to everything, not just pinball games with Williams/Bally IP.

2 months later
#458 9 years ago

ecurtz,
I'd really like to know where you can get a DMD display for $130. Especially since it can't be a plasma display going into the older machine that doesn't have proper DMD power without also requiring some kind of power board.

#460 9 years ago

I have nothing to do with pricing/costs or any of that. I'm just helping with software dev and late night research on details of specific machines. I personally do not wish to be involved in the pricing side of things. I'll leave that to Aaron, Dave, Rick, and whoever else is in charge of that...

I just wanted to know if you had a source for cheap DMDs that I didn't know about. For my own machines and what not. The cheapest I have seen LED DMDs go for is more in the $250 range, but more often closer to $300.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reltham.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-20tm-extensions-to-wpc-20-games-from-tpf-pps-seminar?tu=reltham and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.