(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago

oh my lord. now this is a bombshell!

How sweet would it be if they could get Ed Boon to record some new rudy callouts...

just the tip of the iceberg, of course.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Gary's presentation was a bit of a waste of time, Rick's on the other hand was solid gold. I think people didn't expect the WPC2.0 announcement, and were so caught by surprise that there were practically no questions on it after the presentations. I guess everyone were so focused on MMR that they missed the importance of WPC2.0 announcement. If Rick and PPS can execute on half of the WPC2.0 promise, including parts, mouldings etc it'll be great for the pinball community.
The MMR part of the seminar was also great, they answered all the questions, showed the hardward and explained many details related to it (like 3 LED's per insert).
I'm glad I attended the PPS seminar, definitely worth it as can be seen in this thread

i can't believe the attendees missed the boat so heavily on this. WPC2.0 seems like much bigger news than MMR, in terms of potential impact on the hobby.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

DRM makes things more expensive and less convenient for everyone (including the poor sap who has to implement it.) For what? To protect some 30 year old bitmaps and audio files that have been trivial to extract for at least the last decade? I guarantee that it won't work and will cost the end user time and money. I honestly appreciate what Rick is doing for the community with PPS but DRM does nothing but hurt your customers to fulfill some clause in a contract.

I'm sympathetic to your point of view (hell I spent the 2000s writing punk songs about IP law) but that ship has sailed. nobody's sadder than me to say the war is over and the good guys lost. the opportunity was there in the late 90s/early 2000s, as most content distribution went digital and its cost shrank to near-zero, to implement a new way of thinking about things like IP, copyright, distribution, ownership, etc, but that's not what happened. I don't even like the term "theft" as applied to copying something where the original is still there (like copying a file), but that's another battle lost. I get that the idea of intellectual property is far, far older than the internet, but the opportunity its emergence provided was probably the last great flashpoint for reforming how we thought of IP.

anyway, the modern marketplace from the top down is designed to function with the assumption that companies are leveraging protected intellectual property, and that they must protect it or risk losing it. I don't like it, but companies have to play by the rules as they're currently written. can't hold that against PPS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 36.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-20tm-extensions-to-wpc-20-games-from-tpf-pps-seminar?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.