(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 10 years ago

Ver cool. I like how in one move Rick basically cratered the A list market, MM prices plunged, AFM and CC and MB all took hits, people wondered how it would work out. Next move? Raise the prices on CV, TOTAN and FH.

All we need now is a RICK WHERE IS THE NEW CODE? thread!

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

There goes my enthusiasm.

Why? Last time I checked, with the exception of a couple boutique projects America's Most Haunted, none of the pinball we enjoy is open source. It's cool that people like Ben want to release games that way, but it's not really something that's reasonable to expect. Even if Rick wanted to, I'm fairly certain the license terms for these Williams games wouldn't allow it.

I'm excited about the possibilities myself. The real question in my mind, that Rick probably doesn't want to address now, is are we going to see re-releases of these titles, like physical MMr style, to accompany the new code? Because that would be a pretty natural way to leverage the extra software development frankly.

I did see someone who attended Rick's presentation try and make reference to this, but they said something about TOM instead or TOTAN or CV. I didn't see anyone else talking about it, so I kinda discounted it and moved on.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Closed source is not the same as DRM "enabled". I couldn't care less if their emulator is closed source. However DRM says "our priorities are fundamentally different from those of hobbyists" to me. I'm sure there are other programmers who don't care at all.

I understand the objection to DRM in principle, but in this case what's the practical ramification? It's not like it's a transformative media like audio files or video or eBooks, where DRM could unfairly lock you into a platform (say Kindle etc). You're not going to take the software and run it on different hardware, this is a pretty closed system.

Again, just comparing it to TOTAN now, what is it that you can do with the existing game that you couldn't with this new system? If anything it sounds like there's actually a lot more flexibility than before. Just seems unfair to Rick and this project to say that DRM ruins it when that's the status quo that we've accepted for so long.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I get that...but at what point do you say it's gotten out of hand? When there's 4 different code revisions floating around, and all are considered "tourney viable"? I don't want to go to every different venue and the same game at every place has different rules. =|

Seems to me there wouldn't be 4, there would be 2, and one of them isn't tourney viable. Take TOTAN, no one is playing it in tournaments now, the rules aren't friendly for it. If it is in a tournament then it's only because it's using the known set of 2.0 rules that are.

I get your point about fracturing, but practically speaking it seems like it wouldn't be an issue, there would be just one tournament game set. MAYBE two if there was a "new TOTAN game" and a "old TOTAN game with new tournament adjustments", but if the new one had say, the new translite, it wouldn't be confusing.

Quoted from jpop:

....some rule adders and a few of the features and art that never made the final TotaN cut would be nice! Actually all the games I was able to work on at WMS had a lot cut in the final months of costing....go Rick go! Jpop

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

DRM makes things more expensive and less convenient for everyone (including the poor sap who has to implement it.) For what? To protect some 30 year old bitmaps and audio files that have been trivial to extract for at least the last decade? I guarantee that it won't work and will cost the end user time and money. I honestly appreciate what Rick is doing for the community with PPS but DRM does nothing but hurt your customers to fulfill some clause in a contract.

I do get your viewpoint, I think there's probably a clause in my Ars Technica contract that says I have to hate DRM, because you're right, it ultimately burdens the end user and rarely proves all that effective. I'm just struggling to see see the practical downsides in this particular case.

Now all that said, to argue your side, isn't Capcom's DRM part of the reason the whole "build more BBB and Kingpins" was such a difficult endeavor?

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

In other words, why are you implying that projects built on P-ROC hardware cannot be approved, or can they?

Hey Gerry, does P-ROC have support for DRM?

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

JM needs a new translite.

I doubt you'll ever see an official one, it's a licensed property. One cool thing about this 2.0 stuff is it's giving new life to the old original themes.

Too bad the JM movie sucked, the original story is great.

#319 10 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

This has been possible for a while now. The hardware has been available. The only thing that has changed is a company it appears to me is now taking a Monopoly in the act.

Since we're throwing around acronyms like IP and DRM, let's add another one. FUD.

#323 10 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Until PPS approves a project with the other board. My comment stands.

Um, like BoP 2.0? Am I missing something? Last time I checked that was approved and P-ROC, no?

Personally I love CCC, but let's at least stick to facts.

#329 10 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I should have specified it better. Yes it is a P-roc project. But im sure it was what caught their attention in the matter of starting up these other 2.0 projects. A catalyst one might say

Sure, maybe, or maybe not. You're speculating with no basis, and throwing around ridiculous words like "monopoly".

As long as we're wildly speculating based on no information here's my guess: Any P-ROC project that's connected to a game Rick wants to remake is gonna have issues getting approved. Because Rick can't roll that into his new hardware plan and monetize it. That means the P-ROC version would dilute the market for the remake.

There isn't any demand for a $8k Bride of Pinbot remake, so it wasn't a problem.

Just my guess.

#355 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think it would be great if someone came up with a non game specific interface board that piggy backed the original CPU board and allowed access to the assets on the game rom, just like the current solutions are allowing access to the sound ROMs.

Pinball Game Genie.

game_genie-jpg.jpggame_genie-jpg.jpg

#361 10 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Their sounds are their sounds. If you used them and distributed it, I think that's use of their IP. Now, there's a very strong argument to be made for the fact that someone who uses your mod paid for and owns the machine, including all the dots and sounds contained therein. Your work distributes their sound but only does so to customers who already own (what is essentially a license to hear) those sounds. This is why this has always been confusing to me...

There's no grey area there, if you're distributing you're distributing, you can't make the "well they had it already" argument. But if you're only distributing code, no assets, and the code calls the assets that are already in the game, that's a different matter.

#366 10 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

All the ambiguity and lack of common sense in the law only serves to put money in the pockets of lawyers, generally ensuring the guy with the biggest wallet wins. Fuck free innovation!

The thing is, it's not really all that ambiguous most of the time. The example above, it's infringement, sorry. You cannot redistribute the main game ROM. You can write code that calls things on the ROM, and distribute that code, but the ROM itself contains data you don't have the rights to.

Your code could be on a daughter board that modified calls to the main ROM, which is essentially what a Game Genie does, and that would be fine. That's basically the same model that ColorDMD uses, they aren't distributing any of the dots for their titles, just codes that intercepts them mid stream and modifies them.

#380 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

What if they put out an update that you need to patch to the wms rom files and burn your own rom chips?

That would be fine, PPS or Williams has no say over your code so long as it doesn't contain their IP. Assuming that there's nothing that violates the DMCA about the patch, I don't know if there's DRM involved here. Anyone who tried to set up a burning service for others would be running afoul of distributing IP they don't have the rights to though.

Quoted from Zaxxis:

Even if you are 100% in the right, it doesn't stop WMS or PPS or someone else from suing you.

Sure, always a risk I suppose. Maybe you could get the EFF to take your side of the case. Rick clearly understands the boundaries here, I don't see frivolous lawsuits over non WMS IP being anything someone should be worried about. Frankly the audience for something like "download this code, rip your ROM, patch it, and burn a new one" is pretty limited.

This seems like a healthy discussion to me, but it's also bordering on paranoid. The lines are pretty clear here. You can't distribute WMS IP, but you can write original code that talks to WMS hardware. People can say "it's 20 year old code, it should be free!" but it's not, and anyone with even a little investment in the conversation knows it's not.

I love CCC, but it only survived by flying under the radar. Now there's big money involved, we are talking millions here, and everything that was underground is getting a spotlight.

#390 10 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

The seeing it in action is what has held me back on colour DMD.

Oh man, if you have titles that have been colorized then don't wait, ColorDMD is a "can never go back" upgrade once you've got it in your game in full color.

1 month later
#439 9 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

be interesting to know what you guys solution to the BBB supply constraint is when you can only buy a handful at a time.

You know, maybe not the best time to use that acronym, I had to read that sentence a couple times.

3 weeks later
#453 9 years ago

Wasn't the BoP 2.0 kit that was similar more like $1400?

9 months later
#492 9 years ago

Funhouse 2.0 was Kevin. So that's dead for now until someone who's not a pariah and a liar picks it up.

The Jpop games were gonna be done with Jpop. Excuse me while I at the idea that giving him another project to not finish is a good idea.

So while I think the 2.0 concept is still great, it's obvious the right people to mess with it are still out there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to daydream about a Fathom remake, with optional 2.0 rules, and full RGB LEDs under clear inserts ...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-20tm-extensions-to-wpc-20-games-from-tpf-pps-seminar?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.