(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg
There are 547 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 10 years ago

Quick note: To all those sending PMs... THANK YOU!

Working as fast as we can to get through them. Thank you for sharing in the excitement and your support and enthusiasm means a lot!

Aaron

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good stuff.
Let me get this out of the way: TOTAN needs a code update way more than CV does!

CV rom 2.0 is cool but TOTAN can use some work also need a combo plunger

#203 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Anyone who is knee deep in either a re-write / extension who would benefit by some of the existing sound or dmd or art or other IP is a good candidate to discuss for this wpc 2.0 (or sys11 2.0) topic and best to contact Fast Pinball as a starting point ...

Is Fast Pinball now the licenser for WMS\BLY DMD artwork and sound?

Do we have any IP lawyers in the house? It would seem to me that playing sounds or DMD animations that are on a chip that you own with a different device would not violate any copyrights as you are not distributing the works. When you buy a CD, you don't buy one that only works on Sony devices. It would violate copyright to copy and sell the CD, but not to build a new device to play it in a different way.

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

OK... back on topic. Can somebody please explain to me why a license to develop WPC 2.0 software is restricted to a particular hardware implementation? Rick, can you please describe what the relationship is between 'approved' software products that make use of Wms IP and the FAST hardware? In other words, why are you implying that projects built on P-ROC hardware cannot be approved, or can they?

Did these questions ever get answered?

#205 10 years ago

Of course WMS sounds, DMD frames, as well as artwork as well as game names (for most) are protected IP, not to be sold, given away, replicated, etc. We don't need any IP lawyers for this.

WPC 2.0(tm) games are what will fall under our license including the replication and/or modification of any or all of that for creating an extended game.

We will approve WPC 2.0 games and will sub-license them if appropriate, and will evaluate the entire package of needs. Now that we have a path for re-creation or extension of using WMS games, we will take a strong position on anything that goes a different route and uses wms ip in an unauthorized way especially given that we now have a way forward, sorry. We are licensees of rights holders and are now able to get things moving forward!

Also, someone brought up the topic of DRM, which basically says that the software is somehow linked to the hardware, so this is an important part of insuring that there are some controls in place - customers basically are buying one piece of hardware and one piece of software to remake a game, so this is an important consideration for WPC 2.0 games.

So, already had some discussions about getting some WPC 2.0 games going, so will take a little time to move to having some titles out, so stay tuned!

rick

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also, someone brought up the topic of DRM, which basically says that the software is somehow linked to the hardware, so this is an important part of insuring that there are some controls in place - customers basically are buying one piece of hardware and one piece of software to remake a game, so this is an important consideration for WPC 2.0 games.

DRM doesn't have to be both Hardware and Software. It could very easily be one or the other. So you could still protect WMS IP using Software Only DRM which could be hardware independent.

I think what some are worried about is that currently the impression you are giving is that ONLY FAST Pinball based hardware would be capable of WPC 2.0 support from PPS. Leaving PROC based projects such as BOP 2.0 & CCC, the two very things that basically created the interest in this being done in the first place, with the prospect of porting something to the new system in order to proceed down an approved path.

Is this the case?

#207 10 years ago

The solutions that we approve will be with those who are constructing the solution and will encompase the entire solution to the customer, that is the case. Anyone that wants to put a legitimate solution proposal can always come to me as has already been done - which is with a proposal, how ip is being handled, etc. Fast hardware is not the solution, it's a piece of the solution where they are very receptive to addressing any of our concerns for ip protection when that protection is needed (which is not for custom games, one-offs, etc).

[email protected]

#208 10 years ago

Anyone mention JM/Matrix yet? That would be a joygasm if you guys could work something out to bring those to the "masses"

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The solutions that we approve will be with those who are constructing the solution and will encompase the entire solution to the customer, that is the case. Anyone that wants to put a legitimate solution proposal can always come to me as has already been done - which is with a proposal, how ip is being handled, etc. Fast hardware is not the solution, it's a piece of the solution where they are very receptive to addressing any of our concerns for ip protection when that protection is needed (which is not for custom games, one-offs, etc).
[email protected]

So if I understand you correctly, if someone comes up with a project using Williams IP that is implemented with FAST pinball, P-Roc or whatever (and they want to sell or distribute it), they just need to take care of the licensing approval with you to make the project legit.

Is that right?

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Anyone mention JM/Matrix yet? That would be a joygasm if you guys could work something out to bring those to the "masses"

When we are talking about yet another set of ip ( in this case Matrix), then it gets way more complicated as how you need to get permission (usually a license) from the owner of that IP - and usually these licenses are pretty expensive.

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

So if I understand you correctly, if someone comes up with a project using Williams IP that is implemented with FAST pinball, P-Roc or whatever (and they want to sell or distribute it), they just need to take care of the licensing approval with you to make the project legit.
Is that right?

They need to make a proposal, insure that our considerations over IP protection are met, discuss the business arrangement, how it would be sold, distributed, and maintained, etc - i.e. be serious about it, and then we can discuss. It is not a 'given' that every proposal comes to an agreement.

#212 10 years ago

So you're saying you can't do some 3rd party things, but you borrowed a Dracula for the show. Does this mean that you can modify the code on 3rd party games, but not do the art changes and add-ons that you've talked about for some games? Hopefully it doesn't mean you can't touch licensed themes at all.

#213 10 years ago

It seems to me that there is a lot of gray area as to when a P-ROC\FAST game would cross the derivative work line.

Since no one in the pinball community would likely have the desire (and funds) to see a legal battle through to the end, we'll probably never know. Hopefully everything will shake out for the betterment of the community.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

They need to make a proposal, insure that our considerations over IP protection are met, discuss the business arrangement, how it would be sold, distributed, and maintained, etc - i.e. be serious about it, and then we can discuss. It is not a 'given' that every proposal comes to an agreement.

Rick,

Since it's now clear that P-ROC users can work with you on licensing P-ROC - based projects that utilize Wms assets, and given that at least one P-ROC - based project has already received approval, I'd appreciate it if you would stop emailing P-ROC customers and suggesting they work with FAST. I'm sure many would be happy to work with you on licensing deals if the process was friendly.

As Aaron requested, let's let our respective products speak for themselves.

Thanks.
- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So you're saying you can't do some 3rd party things, but you borrowed a Dracula for the show. Does this mean that you can modify the code on 3rd party games, but not do the art changes and add-ons that you've talked about for some games? Hopefully it doesn't mean you can't touch licensed themes at all.

Tinkering with a game is a none issue. That is what has been done in the past and still continues. The big thing that comes into play is if you want to sell what was created. Making something for you and your friends and family use in your home or show off at a show isn't what is in contention. In fact, its a great way to learn how to program for pinball.

But when you look at all the work it takes to make a game, the idea that there is a legitimate path towards selling your efforts by paying a fair licensing fee, then the effort could be really fruitful.

Aaron

#216 10 years ago

Gerry ... what I said is i will entertain any proposals. I will also email anyone I wish to. I also said I will entertain solutions not individual pieces, and those solutions will need to adequately address IP and business issues.

rick

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Tinkering with a game is a none issue. That is what has been done in the past and still continues. The big thing that comes into play is if you want to sell what was created. Making something for you and your friends and family use in your home or show off at a show isn't what is in contention. In fact, its a great way to learn how to program for pinball.
But when you look at all the work it takes to make a game, the idea that there is a legitimate path towards selling your efforts by paying a fair licensing fee, then the effort could be really fruitful.
Aaron

If I understand you right. I could purchase one of your systems for my Dracula, but it wouldn't have any 2.0 style code/extensions, but I could then make my own changes for my own use?

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron

or give away or make available to others for free ...

#219 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

When we are talking about yet another set of ip ( in this case Matrix), then it gets way more complicated as how you need to get permission (usually a license) from the owner of that IP - and usually these licenses are pretty expensive.

It might be worth the effort, I am sure alot of people would be interested in dropping cash on that, myself included, judging by the Matrix thread. Just thought I would put the bug in your ear. I understand its just a pipe dream (for me). I can't afford the entry fee for the current solution. 8k though, that I could make happen.

#220 10 years ago

if someone secures the Warner license for Matrix ... we are more than happy to help with whatever we could contribute to make the game ...

rick

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Rick,
Since it's now clear that P-ROC users can work with you on licensing P-ROC - based projects that utilize Wms assets, and given that at least one P-ROC - based project has already received approval, I'd appreciate it if you would stop emailing P-ROC customers and suggesting they work with FAST. I'm sure many would be happy to work with you on licensing deals if the process was friendly.
As Aaron requested, let's let our respective products speak for themselves.
Thanks.
- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

Gerry,

I think that Rick only means to answer the question about what is the currently approved way to get a game released using existing PPS licensed IP.

But I gotta say, you can see how your comments about us cloning your stuff and that you are the reason for the interest in rethemes and extensions rubbed us the wrong way. Our goals were different than yours. We built a hardware platform that will enable us to build upon for our bigger goals. Lots of phones existed before the iPhone, but they were the first to bring it all together right. For the customer to use and have access to new things and for developers to innovate upon. We listened to the needs of the builder community, the IP holders and those that would love to build their first game and focused on meeting those needs. We want that engagement. It helps to shape our hardware. Our efforts created a legitimate path to working with existing IP that you feel you should benefit from as well. We provided a solution that was able to break down that wall. Our goals are to enable not only game designers and software programmers, but also hardware engineers. Those details will be unveiled soon and we hope they will really kick new pinball development into high gear.

So who is hoping to benefit from who's effort now?

Aaron

Post edited by fastpinball: "Those details will be unveiled soon we hope they will really kick new pinball development into high gear." was missing an "and"

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

If I understand you right. I could purchase one of your systems for my Dracula, but it wouldn't have any 2.0 style code/extensions, but I could then make my own changes for my own use?

Right. You could drop it in and start to build away at what, someday, could be a new Dracula "2.0"

And also like Rick said above, "or give away or make available to others for free ..." to others who you want to share in your efforts.

Aaron

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

It seems to me that there is a lot of gray area as to when a P-ROC\FAST game would cross the derivative work line.
Since no one in the pinball community would likely have the desire (and funds) to see a legal battle through to the end, we'll probably never know. Hopefully everything will shake out for the betterment of the community.

Don't use the name of a commercial game (these are usually trademarked) or audio files or dmd data from the ROMs of any commercial games (these are protected by copyright) and you'll be fine. Or if you want to add a DMD to Harley-Davidson (since BOP and Funhouse seem to be covered) submit a proposal for that. I personally don't see a lot of justification for rewriting code from scratch to support new modes or mods but maybe there are a few cases where that makes sense.

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Thanks for the response Rick.

It sounds like the ability to enhance existing games will be nice but that it really isn't intended for the casual hobbyist who wants to just add cool things to a game and share it with the community without the added complication of sales, required maintenance, IP protection, etc...

Is this correct?

Or, do you think it will be possible to do some things, such as rule enhancements or adding triggers for mods, for example, without the need for licensing approval?

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron

Quoted from PPS:

or give away or make available to others for free ...

Quoted from fastpinball:

Right. You could drop it in and start to build away at what, someday, could be a new Dracula "2.0"
And also like Rick said above, "or give away or make available to others for free ..." to others who you want to share in your efforts.
Aaron

I don't think you guys are on the same page here.

Signed,
The guy who was giving it away for free.

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Don't use the name of a commercial game (these are usually trademarked) or audio files or dmd data from the ROMs of any commercial games (these are protected by copyright) and you'll be fine. Or if you want to add a DMD to Harley-Davidson (since BOP and Funhouse seem to be covered) submit a proposal for that. I personally don't see a lot of justification for rewriting code from scratch to support new modes or mods but maybe there are a few cases where that makes sense.

Correct ... now if we could get this internalized that would be great ... as there are a bunch of wms game names that are being thrown about being recoded - fine if you are working with us, not fine if you are not (then do above).

rick

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Signed,

Eric ... giving away the dmd and sound eproms was and is an issue, and a legal process would want you to go and try to claw back .... we've not had that conversation yet ...

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Eric ... giving away the dmd and sound eproms was and is an issue, and a legal process would want you to go and try to claw back .... we've not had that conversation yet ...

I didn't give away any eproms, those are available for free on IPDB, VPforums, etc. I gave away reproductions that looked/sounded like the original - but that's a quibble.

What I was pointing out is that you tried to add "giving it away free" as something you SHOULDN'T do, but Aaron seemed to be tacking it on as something you COULD.

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Signed,

My thoughts exactly!

Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron

Quoted from PPS:

How is what Eric did any different than say me using a Fast board on a Dracula to improve the code, DMD, Sounds, whatever, and then giving that away for free (Other then you making a profit off of the Fast board)?

#230 10 years ago

Because the dmd frames and the sound and other stuff is not anyone's to repackage and give away, free or not. Totally different. If you package the dracula IP and share it, then that's a problem. If you create all NEW sounds and all new art and all new stuff (or derivative stuff) and distribute it (for free or for charge) it's infringing.

rick

#231 10 years ago

Well that contradicts what Aaron just said in his last post.

#232 10 years ago

If you're not redistributing the audio and DMD data, I don't see how using a different tool to play them would be infringement. This is where things seem awfully gray to me. If someone rewrites the rules to a game in a different language, it would seem like a new work to me. (This happens all the time with mobile apps.) I could see an argument being made as a derivative work, but that would definitely require a legal battle.

The upcoming Supreme Court ruling on software patent trolling, while not directly applicable, will certainly give some insight as to which way the courts will be leaning with regards to software IP.

Post edited by pinlynx: Clarity

#233 10 years ago

Rules aren't an issue. Only the display and audio have ever been a problem in this situation.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Rules aren't an issue. Only the display and audio have ever been a problem in this situation.

Right, and the display and audio are stored on the game. It sounds like PPS is saying you can only view or listen to those files with his hardware.

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

ok, so I'll bite ... sounds like CCC is only viable with the sounds and the dmd frames (as well as color frames) ... where did these come from and how does someone who downloads CCC today run a game?

rick

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

ok, so I'll bite ... sounds like CCC is only viable with the sounds and the dmd frames (as well as color frames) ... where did these come from and how does someone who downloads CCC today run a game?
rick

Nobody has been able to get CCC since December when you asked me to take down the Audio and DMD files from the wiki. You asked, I complied, it's still that way.

#237 10 years ago

seems like the pm's on the various boards of people who download the CCC code and need to get the special incremental dmd and sound packages seem to get their needs addressed just fine ... just hope that doesn't get explored too deep.

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Well that contradicts what Aaron just said in his last post.

I dont think it does. If you put the FAST WPC Controller hardware into your WPC game, you get access to all the sound, etc. that are already in the game. So if you wrote original code to interact with your Dracula and shared that original code with a friend who ran it on a FAST WPC Controller in his/her Dracula, then you didn't distribute any of the DMD frames or audio, just what you created to work with it.

Aaron

#239 10 years ago

So the FAST system plays audio directly from the WPC ROM? If so, that's slick.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

If you put the FAST WPC Controller hardware into your WPC game, you get access to all the sound, etc.

There's no "etc" there. Just the sound. The DMD info is on the CPU you take out to put the FAST board in. Same deal as FreeWPC games.

#241 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

So the FAST system plays audio directly from the WPC ROM? If so, that's slick.

Totally does! That first night we fired up the hardware and got the switches playing different sounds or lighting different lamps was on par with the birth of my first child! Ok, maybe not that great, but it was pretty damn exciting to say the least. Is there anyone on this thread that got to see that in person in Texas?

Aaron

#242 10 years ago

Will these be able to be changed around? IE. I buy one for my Dracula. Can I try it in my other WPC games to see which other machines I want a Fast board installed into? Or will it be married to the game I buy it for. That would be really cool if it was like color DMD and I could just move it around (re-flashing the board) to see which machines I would like to put it and which ones are good enough.

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

There's no "etc" there. Just the sound. The DMD info is on the CPU you take out to put the FAST board in. Same deal as FreeWPC games.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had intended that to mean like audio resources in general. The event triggered sounds, music, the sound that can be blended, the sound that interrupts other sound.

Aaron

#244 10 years ago

Will you be at Pinfest Allentown? I have a mint Drac I might be willing to bring for you to demo this technology. It would be really great for the show itself in may. PM me if you want to chat!

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I dont think it does. If you put the FAST WPC Controller hardware into your WPC game, you get access to all the sound, etc. that are already in the game. So if you wrote original code to interact with your Dracula and shared that original code with a friend who ran it on a FAST WPC Controller in his/her Dracula, then you didn't distribute any of the DMD frames or audio, just what you created to work with it.
Aaron

I'm confused. I thought Rick was saying that if you make any changes (including additions) to existing Williams code it would infringe on their IP. In your example, you might not be messing with the sound roms but you would be making changes to the game code in regards to rules and sound calls.

Rick, any clarification here?

#246 10 years ago

if you re-write a game, no issues (usually), if you modify the wms code, then issues.

And this applies to distributing (i.e. having the potential of another copy being made by anyone anyhow i.e. posting, putting on a wiki, etc) free or not doesn't make a difference.

rick

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

Will these be able to be changed around? IE. I buy one for my Dracula. Can I try it in my other WPC games to see which other machines I want a Fast board installed into? Or will it be married to the game I buy it for. That would be really cool if it was like color DMD and I could just move it around (re-flashing the board) to see which machines I would like to put it and which ones are good enough.

If you bought the stand alone hardware that didnt have a "2.0" game running on it, you totally could. Try it in each machine and code away.

If you bought "Dracula 2.0" as a released game, it and any released game can be switched into "tinker" mode. So when talking about the Popadiuk games mentioned at the show, if you bought one of those you could:

a) run the new code (enhanced mode)
b) play the original roms (classic mode)
c) write some code of your own for the game (tinker mode)

So if you took the hardware you bought for you Circus Voltaire 2.0 and put it into a Dracula cabinet, the only option that would be useful in that case would be the "tinker mode."

This was an important part of our negotiations with PPS. We feel like its a cool way to let users begin to experiment with programming because they can with hardware they bought for their enhanced game. It is such a great learning opportunity.

Aaron

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

if you re-write a game, no issues (usually), if you modify the wms code, then issues.
rick

Only person that can modify the WMS code would be them, or you (since you have the source). What you mean here is modify/use the assets.

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm confused. I thought Rick was saying that if you make any changes (including additions) to existing Williams code it would infringe on their IP. In your example, you might not be messing with the sound roms but you would be making changes to the game code in regards to rules and sound calls.
Rick, any clarification here?

Think of it as a blank slate to start programming on when you are using the FAST WPC Controller. We have worked into our FAST Pin Protocol / Pinball API easy commands to call out to the existing sound board and its audio. So it is not as if you are manipulating the code currently running on the game, just interfacing with the assets.

Aaron

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

seems like the pm's on the various boards of people who download the CCC code and need to get the special incremental dmd and sound packages seem to get their needs addressed just fine ... just hope that doesn't get explored too deep.

I'm sure they were carefully extracted by each end-user from their own personal ROMs. Just as I'm sure the emulator used in your Medieval Madness remakes was implemented entirely by "clean room" engineers who had never been exposed to any PinMAME code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 36.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 547 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-20tm-extensions-to-wpc-20-games-from-tpf-pps-seminar/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.