(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg
There are 547 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting, I see two apparent 'batteries' - one molex plug named 'Battery', and one unpopulated 'BAT1'..

The BAT1 is for the real time clock for the Beaglebone Black interface. I built this board by hand and didn't have that part in stock. It will be populated in the released boards, of course.

The "Battery" connector allows a user who wants to use a Beaglebone Black the ability to have a "safe shutdown" of the Linux OS running on the Beaglebone Black. The FAST WPC Controller and FAST Core Controller both include this "safe shutdown" circuitry that when the 5v driving the board is cut, it switches to the power provided by a battery just long enough for the triggered "shutdown" of the Linux OS to complete its shutdown process.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

They should certainly PM me.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

ive past the word along. hope this can get on track !

#503 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

The BAT1 is for the real time clock for the Beaglebone Black interface. I built this board by hand and didn't have that part in stock. It will be populated in the released boards, of course.
The "Battery" connector allows a user who wants to use a Beaglebone Black the ability to have a "safe shutdown" of the Linux OS running on the Beaglebone Black. The FAST WPC Controller and FAST Core Controller both include this "safe shutdown" circuitry that when the 5v driving the board is cut, it switches to the power provided by a battery just long enough for the triggered "shutdown" of the Linux OS to complete its shutdown process.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Ah - very, very smooth..

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Just wait for its effect on System 11 games next!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Are there any new details on this yet.?

6 months later
#505 8 years ago

Any news?

#506 8 years ago

From what I gathered, CV and TotAN were shelved for the time being due to JPop's fall from grace. FH was also paused due to someone else having issues .. but seems like it may be started again when the platform is finished (hopefully soon).

#507 8 years ago

It's unfortunate.....or maybe it was the plan all along to entrust these projects to Kevin and John......the old Williams strategy.....hey.....we tried......

I'm sure it will all come out in due time.....we all might be dead but due time...

1 month later
#508 8 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Are there any new details on this yet.?

Also still waiting on this, any news?

#509 8 years ago

NVM

#510 8 years ago

Since rick from planetary left pinside, I'd say this thread is done. Check the forums on the pps website.

1 week later
#511 8 years ago

When it comes to updating these games I.would say its in our collective hands now. If you like a game and want it updated I would put a call out to like minded people, get a fast or proc board and get working. One person codes, one on dots, one on sounds. Maybe a fourth who does it all. It's so crazy it just might work....

4 years later
#512 3 years ago

OK, I'll ask. Been away from hobby for a while and was intrigued with this post from many years ago.

I presume, the project is dead?

It's a shame because conceptually it seems pretty cool. Imagine a Funhouse with updated code and a DMD. Oh well, one can wish.

#513 3 years ago

6 years after, can someone explain why this have failed?
If there was license, what was the problem? Did they at least, communicate to explain why it was not possible?
Is there any WPC95 project with Fast board, I don’t see any...
Lot of noise for nothing.

#514 3 years ago

I'm surprised no one knows what happened to this project.

#515 3 years ago

This was and still is disappointing. I was really looking forward to FH 2.0. I may have even kept my TOTAN had this come about.
Only thing I can recall was someone called skit b (who ever that is!) was supposed to work on FH. What ever happened I don't know. Too bad someone else wasn't able to pick this up and make it a reality.

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

This was and still is disappointing. I was really looking forward to FH 2.0. I may have even kept my TOTAN had this come about.
Only thing I can recall was someone called skit b (who ever that is!) was supposed to work on FH. What ever happened I don't know. Too bad someone else wasn't able to pick this up and make it a reality.

Funhouse 2.0! I forgot about this idea. I'd buy that kit in a heartbeat,

#517 3 years ago

Imagine what could be done to Funhouse in a 2.0 version. Wow.

Hopefully someone is working on this in a cone of silence somewhere and will release when ready.

#518 3 years ago

I don't think BoP 2.0 sold well. Not sure if that is because of the issues Dutch Pinball was having, or people just didn't want it.

I was playing BoP 2.0 and switched back to the original game for a bit. It would be awesome if someone created DMD animations for the 1.0 version instead of the fake alphanumeric.

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I don't think BoP 2.0 sold well. Not sure if that is because of the issues Dutch Pinball was having, or people just didn't want it.
I was playing BoP 2.0 and switched back to the original game for a bit. It would be awesome if someone created DMD animations for the 1.0 version instead of the fake alphanumeric.

It was CRAZY expensive, plus you had to have a BoP. I think it was a great, great idea, and I even considered getting one - but the overall cost of getting in was too high if you already owned the game (BoP is fine as it is, generally), and WAY too high if you didn't own one. It should be considered a proof of concept; they would have had to get the cost down (for me anyway) to $500-$800 or so, which based on the BoM alone was probably not very achievable.

#520 3 years ago

I don't think you will see $500, or even close. A Color DMD and upgraded sound system are pretty typical mods, those 2 alone are $650. I agree 2k is too expensive. I think they would have had a lot more buyers at $1,500. When they were designing BoP 2.0 the base game was around $1,500. I doubt you'll find one that cheap now. This hobby got expensive. Ha!

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I don't think you will see $500, or even close. A Color DMD and upgraded sound system are pretty typical mods, those 2 alone are $650. I agree 2k is too expensive. I think they would have had a lot more buyers at $1,500. When they were designing BoP 2.0 the base game was around $1,500. I doubt you'll find one that cheap now. This hobby got expensive. Ha!

Yep - in order to make sales, the price has to make sense. There's a middle ground to where the cost aligns with what the buyer will accept - I was just saying (for me, not that I'm the average buyer), it was too expensive. If they had greatly increased the price and sold it strictly as a limited edition, they may have been able to make some headway, but I'm not sure. That was an awesome idea, more of an art project than a business model.

#522 3 years ago

The kit is worth every penny and I'm so glad I have one!

#523 3 years ago

Is this project really closed? If yes why? Come on PPS \ fastpinball say something...
This project can be a really great for Sys11 lovers like me.

#524 3 years ago

A Funhouse remake, with or without 2.0, would be a hit

#525 3 years ago

I don't think there is any real money in it. I think the money is in the remake games with no new code just the add ons. (Topper,Big DMD Speaker Upgrade)
Don't get me wrong, the idea is awesome! I would be all over it. New code New toys for 2k? Oh yeah, You bet! But I am in the minority.

#526 3 years ago

So the original project was going to be Kevin from skit-b, and Jpop (Zidware), and shortly after the announcement Skit-B and Zidware both imploded. Add to that FAST had not shown they could even do this and this project went down hill fast. Now that CGC and PPS partnered up to do re-makes, which can be far more lucrative, then 2.0 versions of games, the interest in doing this really died off.

Best hope would be more of the BOP3.0 concept, remakes of older games with updated code and graphics. Question is, how many folks are willing to pay 7K for a Fun House 2.0 and is that enough to cover the cost. Keeep in mind, a 2.0 remake is going to require more development and therefore be less profitable than a WPC remake with minimal code/content changes, so the sales volume has to be there.

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from spoke:

So the original project was going to be Kevin from skit-b, and Jpop (Zidware), and shortly after the announcement Skit-B and Zidware both imploded. Add to that FAST had not shown they could even do this and this project went down hill fast. Now that CGC and PPS partnered up to do re-makes, which can be far more lucrative, then 2.0 versions of games, the interest in doing this really died off.
Best hope would be more of the BOP3.0 concept, remakes of older games with updated code and graphics. Question is, how many folks are willing to pay 7K for a Fun House 2.0 and is that enough to cover the cost. Keeep in mind, a 2.0 remake is going to require more development and therefore be less profitable than a WPC remake with minimal code/content changes, so the sales volume has to be there.

According to CCC P-ROC project (or others), there was thousands and thousands of hours, years of work to rewrite and recode an extension. Assuming the remake needs also some work, does anyone still think it’s possible to have a CC (or else) with a new extended recode edition for a fair price? Not worth it. They didn’t had guts to recognize it and prefer to scare new potential new projects with law stuff and make sure nothing will never happen. I could be wrong but open for a proof for the contrary.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from spoke:

So the original project was going to be Kevin from skit-b, and Jpop (Zidware), and shortly after the announcement Skit-B and Zidware both imploded. Add to that FAST had not shown they could even do this and this project went down hill fast.

We were good to go. The implosion of skit-b and Zidware took the wind out of the sails and we focused the efforts elsewhere.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

F788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpegF788A1C3-367B-4682-B25E-22797FF2B844 (resized).jpeg
#529 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We were good to go. The implosion of skit-b and Zidware took the wind out of the sails and we focused the efforts elsewhere.
Aaron
FAST Pinball
[quoted image]

So your saying you just need programmers and the hardware is available ?

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
FAST Pinball
[quoted image]

I’ve tried to reach you several time on PM and you never answered. I don’t know why. I did my project with P-ROC. Everything is fine. Gerry on the contrary give a great support for all the projects. I have no stocks. Just to make that clear.

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

So your saying you just need programmers and the hardware is available ?

If someone were interested in doing a 2.0 game and worked out the licensing with PPS, we would be more than happy to make arrangements for hardware to do so.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I’ve tried to reach you several time on PM and you never answered. I don’t know why. I did my project with P-ROC. Everything is fine. Gerry on the contrary give a great support for all the projects. I have no stocks. Just to make that clear.

I'll go back and look at correspondence, I am sorry if I missed you. I have mixed up people between screennames, avatars and real world names in the past. I am very sorry for leaving you feeling ignored.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

If someone were interested in doing a 2.0 game and worked out the licensing with PPS ...

Quoted from Warzard:

...They didn’t had guts to recognize it and prefer to scare new potential new projects with law stuff and make sure nothing will never happen. I could be wrong but open for a proof for the contrary.

I guess we know why nothing happened and are back to post 1 from 6 years ago with the licensing stuff. When we know how long it takes to code an extension, and the business model, I look forward to see it.

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

I guess we know why nothing happened and are back to post 1 from 6 years ago with the licensing stuff. When we know how long it takes to code an extension, and the business model, I look forward to see it.

Nothing happened because Rick was blowing smoke, he was all over the place trying to stop hobbyists coding games or adding to the programs at time....this was just a ruse. It worked lol.

#535 3 years ago

535 posts on this topic only for says: Nothing to see here?
No new projects? No interest? 6y for develop a useless board?

fastpinball let us know please, I was really interested in

#536 3 years ago

This has been done before.

Call up PPS, tell them what you want to do, see about negotiating a royalty deal on a per-unit basis as well as access to original game assets and get busy.

This is also a hardware-independent solution. Toss a P-ROC in there and go if you can't get your hands on another WPC-based control system.

Rick may be brash, but he's a business man, and deals like this have been made before (IE: BoP 2.0)

(This applies solely to unlicensed/original themes in the WMS/BLY lineup)

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Call up PPS, tell them what you want to do, see about negotiating a royalty deal on a per-unit basis as well as access to original game assets and get busy.
This is also a hardware-independent solution. Toss a P-ROC in there and go if you can't get your hands on another WPC-based control system.
Rick may be brash, but he's a business man, and deals like this have been made before (IE: BoP 2.0)

Correct. Rick is reasonable man. I've had many talks with him on my project.
I was so close, so close, then this covid shit killed it for now. If Chicago opens in next couple months, maybe I will get my turn at the shop. Also with pinball assembly lines being a little slow once things open up I may be able to slide into an element of pinball that isnt busy with ramp up. Fingers crossed for july or August.
No Pm's on this post please. My project is pinball related and has nothing to do with Aaron's awesome CPU or code.
What Fast needs is reliable programmers that want a % of sales per board. No one works for Free. Also, it needs to be attacked and worked on every day. This project needs more than a hobbiest that only can put in a few hours a week.

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

If someone were interested in doing a 2.0 game and worked out the licensing with PPS, we would be more than happy to make arrangements for hardware to do so.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Ok great reply, but is your board ready after 6y? I'm really interested. P-Roc is a great board but is without competitor at the time..

1 week later
#539 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Rick may be brash, but he's a businessman, and deals like this have been made before (IE: BoP 2.0)

This is exactly true. PPS is working with me for NGG2.0. For other licenses, I am guessing he would be open to a business proposal as well.

But as others have said, it is difficult to get the economics to work. Just the hardware alone, depending on component choices, could drive the costs north of $800 to $1000. P-Roc, LCD monitor, and computer. Add it up. Then you have to add in all the costs of development and man-hours. And one person can't do everything. I purchased assets I couldn't make myself such as music, sound effects, etc. I wrote the code but I'm not a full-fledged development team.

I am really excited about the new hardware solutions such as APC that cold drive those hardware costs down and potentially allow for more projects to come to market, however, it is my opinion that there are not many developers out there that are stupid enough as I am to put a couple of thousand hours into a project and sell it for a few sheckels over cost.

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

This is exactly true. PPS is working with me for NGG2.0. For other licenses, I am guessing he would be open to a business proposal as well.
But as others have said, it is difficult to get the economics to work. Just the hardware alone, depending on component choices, could drive the costs north of $800 to $1000. P-Roc, LCD monitor, and computer. Add it up. Then you have to add in all the costs of development and man-hours. And one person can't do everything. I purchased assets I couldn't make myself such as music, sound effects, etc. I wrote the code but I'm not a full-fledged development team.
I am really excited about the new hardware solutions such as APC that cold drive those hardware costs down and potentially allow for more projects to come to market, however, it is my opinion that there are not many developers out there that are stupid enough as I am to put a couple of thousand hours into a project and sell it for a few sheckels over cost.

You really believe they are working on something? I think this project is dead (after 6y)...

#541 3 years ago

I have been hoping for Bad Cats 2.0.

#542 3 years ago

My List:
FH
F14
Diner
Bad Cats

#543 3 years ago

Well said.

#544 3 years ago

Yup, this pretty much sums it up. From the small amounts of work ive done with the Proc, the setting up of the hardware takes very little time compared to the time sink that coding rules and putting together video and audio assets takes. The reason this hasn't been done is because there is no money in it.

1 year later
#545 1 year ago

Had a good time reading this thread after putting hours of gameplay in on my FH 2.0 last night... Hot damn, didn't know the 6+ years history in the making! So amped this project eventually came to fruition. Hope all parties involved are pleased with the outcome and more 2.0 kits are on the horizon.

#546 1 year ago

Bring on Pinbot 2.0!

9 months later
#547 1 year ago

No Good Gofers: Battle For The Green (NGG:B4G)
A Licensed “2.0” Upgrade Kit by Cardona Pinball Designs
Available NOW
MSRP $1999US

Includes everything you need to install No Good Gofers: Battle For The Green into a No Good Gofers Pinball machine.
• Speaker panel with (2) 4" Flipper Fidelity speakers, an industrial 15.6 inch monitor, and associated cabling.
• FAST Interface controller board (to be installed in the removed CPU location).
• CPU panel that includes CPU, FAST audio and accessory controller, and associated cabling (to be installed in the removed audio/video board location).
• Power Supply with fuse block and associated cabling.

Note: Interface controller offers the ability to add future expansion components such as shaker motors, RGB lighting kits, and the "Gofer Motion" Topper .

About No Good Gofers: Battle For The Green:
A wandering bear is head-struck by a golf ball and loses all his memory--even that he is a bear! Buzz, a mischievous munchkin of a gopher hates all golfers. When Buzz discovers the bear, he names him Bud and convinces him that he's really a gopher too. With Bud's raw strength, Buzz hatches a plan to take the golfers out and reclaim the course!

The music, animations, voice work, and sound effects follow this comical and cartoon-ish vein and were made to be accessible to all. Buzz tends to be critical and confrontational of the player's shots. Bud, on the other hand, is the comic relief of the team. He's a bear that thinks he's really an over-sized gopher. Let’s just say he’s a little slow on the uptake.

Resellers:
https://cardonapinball.com/products

https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPM-KIT-NGG-BATTLE

cardonapinball.com contains the below links to videos of game play, installation of a kit, pre-installation steps, troubleshooting, and a demo video as well as manuals, flyers, promo material, and other documents.

Questions:
Does your kit include side art or a new backglass?
Not in the kit, however, we have contacted an industry leading artist to create new backglass artwork and we plan on offering this as an upgrade option for those who want it once the artist is done.

Can your kit play the original game?
Yes. The NGG:B4G upgrade kit will not only play the new game but players can also select the original game from a menu. Additionally, in future updates we plan to add functionality to the original game where appropriate.

About Cardona Pinball Designs:
Cardona Pinball Designs is licensed by Planetary Pinball Supply to create 2.0 game kits for Bally-Williams titles and has been working toward this end for approximately four years. Our main expertise is software and we subcontract or partner with professionals for other specialized work. For example, FAST is creating our hardware and we also use several artists and voice actors for content creation. We expect to release another licensed title in 2023 and two more licensed titles in 2024.

Our titles receive heavy public beta testing. NGG:B4G has been at The Pinball Gallery in Malvern, Pennsylvania ( https://pinballgallery.net) and at the Delaware Pinball Collective in Wilmington, Delaware since September 2020 ( https://www.delawarepinballcollective.com).

NGG:B4G has also been to several pinball shows such as:
• White Rose Gameroom Show ( http://www.theyorkshow.com)
• PinFest (http://www.pinfestival.com)
• Golden State Pinball Festival (https://www.goldenstatepinball.org)
• Northwest Pinball and Gameroom Show (http://www.nwpinballshow.com)
• Pin-a-go-go (http://www.pin-a-go-go.org)
• Texas Pinball Festival (https://www.texaspinball.com )

game rules

game play

installation video

troubleshooting videos

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 547 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-20tm-extensions-to-wpc-20-games-from-tpf-pps-seminar/page/11?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.