(Topic ID: 86044)

WPC 2.0(tm) - Extensions to WPC 2.0 games (from TPF PPS seminar) ...

By PPS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 511 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by agodfrey
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
WPC2slide2.jpg
thingon.jpg
image.jpg
image31 (Small).jpeg
image-225.jpg
game_genie-jpg.jpg
IMG_7736-865.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_6821-191.jpg
IMG_7018-321.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
fastpinball_wpc_controller.jpg
WPC20-3-166.jpg
WPC20-2-864.jpg
WPC20-1-767.jpg

There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 5 years ago

Does anyone have a guess for the cost of a FH 2.0 kit? And before a get a 10K before xmas reply I am hoping for an "educated" guess

#452 5 years ago

Assuming only rule changes and a DMD, but no other hardware modifications, you're looking at around $300 for the Fast Pinball controller board, $130 for the DMD and mount, plus a licensing fee to PPS and whatever the software itself costs. My "educated" guess is $750.

#453 5 years ago

Wasn't the BoP 2.0 kit that was similar more like $1400?

#454 5 years ago

Yeah, but including a (much) more expensive computer, color display, and new sound system. They list the software as 250€, but that doesn't really seem to match the package cost.

#455 5 years ago

$750 is high price to pay, IMHO. I doubt I'd be tempted at anything like $1,400.

#456 5 years ago

I hope its closer to the 750-1000 range, more than that would be a hard sell.

#457 5 years ago

And you have to remember sense its an upgrade to the game what gets saved money wise on not having to buy mpu might be used on the hardware add-ons. I guess we will have a year or so to wonder about it.

#458 5 years ago

ecurtz,
I'd really like to know where you can get a DMD display for $130. Especially since it can't be a plasma display going into the older machine that doesn't have proper DMD power without also requiring some kind of power board.

#459 5 years ago

A plasma one is under $150 from Terry at quantity 6, and I assumed the LED ones in bulk were in the same range because Stern has switched. Apparently not. Although anything over $175 or so and it's hard to argue against just using an LCD so it doesn't make a huge difference in my ballpark estimate.

I guess that's a sign you believe my number is too low, but I assume you can't give us more direct pricing information?

#460 5 years ago

I have nothing to do with pricing/costs or any of that. I'm just helping with software dev and late night research on details of specific machines. I personally do not wish to be involved in the pricing side of things. I'll leave that to Aaron, Dave, Rick, and whoever else is in charge of that...

I just wanted to know if you had a source for cheap DMDs that I didn't know about. For my own machines and what not. The cheapest I have seen LED DMDs go for is more in the $250 range, but more often closer to $300.

#461 5 years ago

Just curious if there is any news or update on TOTAN 2.0. I am so excited for this. Are we talking days, months, years? Sorry if I missed anything recently as I just got my TOTAN last week and bored of the current code already LOL

#462 5 years ago

I was just at the show and to be honest there really hasn't been anything more than one discussion with Jpop on TOTAN and 2.0. I am not sure where all this TOTAN and 2.0 talk is coming from? Not from Jpop this I know

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I was just at the show and to be honest there really hasn't been anything more than one discussion with Jpop on TOTAN and 2.0. I am not sure where all this TOTAN and 2.0 talk is coming from? Not from Jpop this I know

Hum... The initial posting on this thread and follow up is where I got most of it from. // Error: Image 246920 not found //

image.jpg
2 months later
#464 5 years ago

It's been a couple months... any updates? CV or TOTAN 2.0 sounds pretty awesome; would buy it in a heartbeat... of course it would have to be available for that to happen... so.. yeah.

1 week later
#465 5 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

It's been a couple months... any updates? CV or TOTAN 2.0 sounds pretty awesome; would buy it in a heartbeat... of course it would have to be available for that to happen... so.. yeah.

Anybody?

thingon.jpg

#466 5 years ago

Totan needs an update. any news?

1 month later
#467 4 years ago

Totan would be nice!

#468 4 years ago

Was there no update on this at Expo?

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Was there no update on this at Expo?

We had no public updates on this project at Expo. We are refining the definition of the "2.0" experience based on all the feedback we received since Rick made it public back in March. I am very happy with how the details are getting worked out which should let this be a platform for creating some really great things for pinball.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Post edited by fastpinball: make myself sound like i can haz right words

#470 4 years ago

I'm excited

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We had no public updates on this project at Expo. We are refining the definition of the "2.0" experience based on all the feedback we received since Rick made it public back in March. I am very happy with how the details are getting worked out which should let this be a platform for creating some really great things on for pinball.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Thanks for the response!

1 week later
#472 4 years ago

WTF, I just found out about this... BRILLIANT!!

#473 4 years ago

Has there been any decisions made yet as to whether TOTAN or CV would be the one getting the update? (initially, anyways)

#474 4 years ago

Rumor is that JPOP is not doing any work on his (edit: old williams) games

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Rumor is that JPOP is not doing any work on his games

JPOP announced that he will do a big reveal of Magic Girl in december to stop these rumors.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

JPOP announced that he will do a big reveal of Magic Girl in december to stop these rumors.

He meant that JPOP is possibly not contributing to TOTAN or CV 2.0.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Rumor is that JPOP is not doing any work on his games

There has been a lot of work on getting the whole 2.0 platform dialed in to meet the needs of IP holders, software developers and more. So active game development is fairly limited right now. John has expressed interest in working to produce 2.0 games. For timing, John has goals with his game releases that are going to require his full attention. This coincides well with the work we are doing with both the hardware and the delivery mechanisms, as well as coordinating the efforts with Rick and Matt w/ PPS.

I am really happy with how the concept has evolved and look forward to sharing more details on it soon.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

He meant that JPOP is possibly not contributing to TOTAN or CV 2.0.

does this mean that there wont be a 2.0 version of either of these games or just that he wont be a part of it ???

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

does this mean that there wont be a 2.0 version of either of these games or just that he wont be a part of it ???

One of the big revisions we have made to the 2.0 game concept is that it opens things up to allowing there to be multiple new titles targeted at the same hardware.

While Kevin Kulek may produce a "Return to the Funhouse," Ben Heck could also produce a "America's Most Haunted Funhouse!"

This has been the #1 request of those looking to breath new life into classics, the ability to have more than one game be a part of the "2.0" experience.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#480 4 years ago

JPop's priorities should definitely be his new games for the immediate future, but TOTAN 2.0 sometime in the years to come would be beautiful. Better late than never.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

This has been the #1 request of those looking to breath new life into classics, the ability to have more than one game be a part of the "2.0" experience.

That's just like with P-ROC, only on a different platform. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (though I'm a P-ROC fan from the beginning), but it seems a little wierd that it's been 'the number 1 request', for that possibility has already been existing for years.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

That's just like with P-ROC, only on a different platform. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (though I'm a P-ROC fan from the beginning), but it seems a little wierd that it's been 'the number 1 request', for that possibility has already been existing for years.

Hi Sven,

I think you are unaware of the goals of the WPC 2.0 game plan. The P-ROC is a piece of hardware. The goals of WPC 2.0 extend beyond a hardware solution. There has been some discussion on pinside already as well as videos of talks we have done on it. As we put the wraps on the 2.0 platform we are working on with PPS, we will provide more details.

In regards to the "the number 1 request" I was referring to the assumption that only one party could commercially release a 2.0 game for a specific title and how people didnt like the idea of one party deciding what the 2.0 game would be. This was resolved in being allowed to publish more than one title as I described in my post above.

So no, its not "just like a P-ROC."

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#483 4 years ago

OK, thanks for the extra info. If I'd say: "it's just like a P-ROC, but with some nice plans and agreements with licensors for using names and assets of the original games instead of having to use completely original software/dmd/sounds", that'd be correct(?!)

Hope there'll be some nice 2.0 games released.

3 weeks later
#484 4 years ago

Do we know anything more of the timeline for WPC 2.0? Are we talking weeks, months or years before it's released?

Perhaps some clarity on which games will be touched by it's greatness: CV or TOTAN (or other)?

I'd hate for WPC 2.0 to be for remakes only, not the existing WPC-95 games already out there.

1 week later
#485 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Do we know anything more of the timeline for WPC 2.0? Are we talking weeks, months or years before it's released?

Hi. I'm somewhat involved in the WPC 2.0 thing as we're making sure the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF) will support these games (and my guess is that 2.0 games referenced here will be running MPF).

I would say months-to-years for a timeframe. Really what we're trying to do is to get everything in place—logistics, hardware, licensing, software—so that these 2.0 games are easy to do. (Well, "easy" being a relative term.) From the software side of things, I'm hoping MPF is ready to go to support this in the first part of next year. March / April is the goal, and based on the progress so far I feel like that's accurate.

The FAST hardware is coming along nicely. I have their boards at my house to develop MPF against (along with the P-ROC), and I know they're in the hands of a few other builders too.

I also know that some folks have started mapping out some plans for some 2.0 games in terms of ideas, rules, upgrades, etc.

All that said, there's no way any 2.0 game (at least "2.0" in the context of what this thread is about, I'm not talking about DP's BOP 2.0 or MMR as those are separate projects) before the second half of 2015. Honestly my estimate would be that everything is up and rolling by mid year, and then people can start creating new games. (And the people who create new games don't have to be original designers. Sure, it could be if they're interested, or really it could be anyone form the community.)

The entire ecosystem we're building will certainly support new machines too. Some people might choose to release all of their game assets (code, dots, audio, etc.) as open source, while other licensing requirements might mean that original dots and audio would have to be "locked" to a particular hardware controller while new dots and audio could be added, and rules and code could be changed. (As you can imagine some of the licensors want to ensure that their licensed elements are not open source, but the code that runs the game logic could be, for example.)

I'll get a blog post together explaining this more, but I want to let you know that (1) we're working like mad on this.. multiple people doing 40 hours a week on top of their actual day jobs, and (2), it's still going to be awhile.

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from BrianMadden:

All that said, there's no way any 2.0 game (at least "2.0" in the context of what this thread is about, I'm not talking about DP's BOP 2.0 or MMR as those are separate projects) before the second half of 2015. Honestly my estimate would be that everything is up and rolling by mid year, and then people can start creating new games. (And the people who create new games don't have to be original designers. Sure, it could be if they're interested, or really it could be anyone form the community.)

Maybe you'd have to wait until the second half of 2015 if you want to use FAST/Mission Pinball - but that's not required. BOP 2.0 uses P-ROC & Pyprocgame, and other projects could as well. Just have to work with Rick before you jump in to make sure all your ducks are in a row and you could start right away.

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Maybe you'd have to wait until the second half of 2015 if you want to use FAST/Mission Pinball - but that's not required

Oh yeah great point Eric! I'll second that.. there's not only one way of doing the "2.0" games.. WPC 2.0 is more like a concept versus a specific product or hardware/software combination. The key is that anyone doing a 2.0-like game has to make sure they have the licensing stuff taken care of and that they can protect the Williams IP as needed, but there's certainly nothing that says it has to be on Mission Pinball Framework.

#488 4 years ago

Great, another reason for the WPC price bubble to keep expanding and expanding. I do admire the work everyone is doing on this though! Just bummed that most WPC games are out of my price range, and with this coming who knows what will happen. I remember when BSD, FT, JD,DM were all sub $1400 games.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from JPscranton:

Great, another reason for the WPC price bubble to keep expanding and expanding. I do admire the work everyone is doing on this though! Just bummed that most WPC games are out of my price range, and with this coming who knows what will happen. I remember when BSD, FT, JD,DM were all sub $1400 games.

Just wait for its effect on System 11 games next!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

3 months later
#490 4 years ago

Curious to know the status of Funhouse 2.0, CV 2.0, TOTAN 2.0, and any other specific titles under development. Thanks.

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Curious to know the status of Funhouse 2.0, CV 2.0, TOTAN 2.0, and any other specific titles under development. Thanks.

Was there talk of CV 2.0? The ruleset is already pretty fleshed out IMHO.

#492 4 years ago

Funhouse 2.0 was Kevin. So that's dead for now until someone who's not a pariah and a liar picks it up.

The Jpop games were gonna be done with Jpop. Excuse me while I at the idea that giving him another project to not finish is a good idea.

So while I think the 2.0 concept is still great, it's obvious the right people to mess with it are still out there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to daydream about a Fathom remake, with optional 2.0 rules, and full RGB LEDs under clear inserts ...

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Was there talk of CV 2.0? The ruleset is already pretty fleshed out IMHO.

Yes. Here's one of the slides from the original presentation: WPC2slide2.jpg I'm not recalling anything too specific as far as what changes or additions were planned, but I know that, at least originally, Jpop was going to be involved with one or the other (CV or TOTAN).

1 month later
#494 4 years ago

Seeing and playing Pinbot 2.0 at PAGG, I sure hope that this project keeps going forward I would love to see Tales of the Arabian Nights 2.0.

#495 4 years ago

I am really loving FH. I think moving it to the next step would be amazing!!! MAKE IT!!

1 month later
#496 4 years ago

Any recent news on this topic?

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Any recent news on this topic?

Our FAST WPC Controllers are done and in final testing to go to manufacturing. We will have them on demo at CAX.

image.jpg

From here we hope to rekindle the development with some new programmers.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

would the people who did data easts STARWARS V1.04 a option ?

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Our FAST WPC Controllers are done and in final testing to go to manufacturing. We will have them on demo at CAX.
image.jpg
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Interesting, I see two apparent 'batteries' - one molex plug named 'Battery', and one unpopulated 'BAT1'..

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

would the people who did data easts STARWARS V1.04 a option ?

They should certainly PM me.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.70
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside