(Topic ID: 288950)

WPC 12738 Soundboard with blown tantalum caps.

By wrd1972_PinDoc

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Roamin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15.png
    Wpc_pre-dcs_tantalum-cap-polarity (resized).jpg
    DSCF1981 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tophervette.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago

Interesting topic, seeing I just replaced that board with a Pinsound board and mine was original to my Dr Who. I am going to look at that board to see what my Caps look like. My original board was working fine, I just wanted to add custom tunes to my machine. Are we talking about the big black Caps at C13 and C25?
    DSCF1981 (resized).JPGDSCF1981 (resized).JPG Doesn't it look like C28 on my board looks a little toasty?

#11 3 years ago

ForceFlow - Thanks for this information and link. This explains why my original sound board worked but was not quite right. The Wiki even had a picture that was exactly like mine with a blown C28. WOW. No wonder the new sound board worked so much better. I can now remember when I would power up the original sound board, how I would hear a crackle sound coming from the speaker. But I could still hear the music and callouts. I have ordered 8 new caps 1UF at 50 volts, as prescribed by the wiki. It will be my experiment in board repair. LOL.

1 week later
    #12 3 years ago

My electronics order for 8 1uF axial tantalum capacitors using a 50v instead (original rating was 35V) for Caps at C26,C27,C28,C29,C37,C46,C47,C48 have arrived.

Wpc_pre-dcs_tantalum-cap-polarity (resized).jpgWpc_pre-dcs_tantalum-cap-polarity (resized).jpg
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You picked a terrible board set to experiment on.
    I wish you good luck and am hoping for the best.

Thanks. I don't need the board currently, as the Pinsound board is new and working way better than this 1992 mono technology. I could try and sell it for $250 as is or fixed for $300 as others have on this marketplace. So no loss really, if I royally screw it up. I did take several electronics courses in College and did electronics repair in the offshore oil industry in a previous life. I will attempt it and post a picture either way. Now, back to my restoration of the rest of the pinball machine. Ramps and posts on playfield are needing some love and installation.

4 weeks later
    #23 3 years ago

That Bong sound is the Boot.wav start up sound for a Doctor Who. Yes it comes from the ROM. Which to me (a novice), means that you are getting power to the board. Sounds from the ROM through the amp circuit all the way to a speaker. The music and callouts on the ROM are looking for specific triggers from boards, leaf switches and and chips that you are not using. Now an Addams Family and a Dr. Who share alot of similar boards and coding. So Pinball Postals post makes alot of sense.

I have been trying my hand at replacing those caps. I got my blown one, C28, in and replaced with no trouble. I next went after, C26, C27 and C29, as they were all close together. I got C27 and C29 out no problem. Then I burned my finger on the soldering iron and gave up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tophervette.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-12738-soundboard-with-blown-tantalum-caps?tu=Tophervette and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.