Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Howdy-

I'm troubleshooting a Wizard of Oz ECLE that was working fine, was moved to a new location, & then developed a problem.

1 - Both mini PF flippers & all 3 slings not firing in gameplay or test.

2 - Found fuse F708 blown (250V 5A, time delay), which corresponds to J108 on I/O PCB, which matches these coils. Why blown, I wonder?

3 - Put in a 250V 4A fuse (all I had on hand).

4 - Entered self-test. All those coils now working, except for right sling.

5 - Checked continuity of wiring, checked for shorts, checked coil resistances. All seem OK.

6 - Powered down, unplugged wiring harness from J108 on I/O PCB, swapped harness connector pins for left & right slings to see if the broken coil "moved" or stayed put, plugged back in.

7 - Powered up, tested. Now the right sling works & the left doesn't. This tells me that the wiring & coil are OK & that the problem is on the PCB.

8 - Diode D403 checks out OK. Therefore, I suspect MOSFET Q403 (P/N 130-0000-0T: MOSFET, IRL540, N-Ch, TO-220AB, 100V, 36A).

Before I track down the MOSFET, order it, pull the PCB, & swap it out, does anybody have any input on my troubleshooting or any similar experience that suggests I should try another path?

Thank you,
-Jason

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Found I had 1 MOSFET from a previous machine. Got ready to pull the board & swap the MOSFET. Wanted to do 1 final test to double-check that I had the right component targeted before I dove in.

Plugged the J108 connector back into the PCB. Powered up, tested coils. ALL WORKED! The only thing that I changed was disconnecting & reconnecting that connector. I looked in at the pins in the harness Molex connector. Pin 7, Munchkinland Flipper Hold, was rather bent & might not have been making good contact w/ the PCB header, so I removed it, bent it, & re-inserted it, but that wasn't the problematic coil anyway... :\

Mixed feelings. Glad it's working, but suspicious of self-fixing. Played a few games (w/ my 4A fuse still in there). Played fine.

2 items of note:
- I found a 250V 6.3A fuse, unblown, next to the I/O PCB. I don't know if it's possible that it was under the I/O PCB & shorting the right sling pin--it was in the same general vicinity..
- Right sling seems to double-activate. Other slings just go "bang!", while the right sling goes "ba-bang!"; it has a slight rattle/rebound/double-activation. It seems to play fine, though. Perhaps a nit-pick, perhaps a clue or culprit?

Thanks,
-Jason

#10 7 years ago

Reflowed the solder on right sling coil lugs, didn't find any flaws in the magnet wire on the coil.

Went into test mode & kept firing the right sling while applying pressure to the coil wires to see if there was a tenuous connection. Behaved fine.

Difficult to tell if I'm getting switch bounce for multiple right sling coil actuations. Opened up the gaps in the right sling's switches a hair more. Subjectively looks/feels/sounds like the left sling now.

All seems well. I'm satisfied. Chalk it up to a little weirdness from moving a game(?)

Thanks for all of your inputs.
-Jason

10 months later
#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I just experienced the exact same problem....did the above resolve your issue long term? sounds like you have quite a bit more experience in troubleshooting these machines than myself

Howdy-

Thanks for the compliment. The game has been pretty much 100% problem-free after having a few post-move gremlins (backbox translite LED strip connector pin pushed out & made intermittent contact, had some weird boot problem that fixed itself on the next boot, lights got "stuck" once or twice, game froze once or twice).

I'm not convinced that I did anything significant to remedy my problem--might have just been a connector that needed reseating to make good contact(?)

Good luck,
-Jason

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozwizard-of-oz-bad-mosfet-for-sling?tu=jasonbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.