errol-spence-boxing.jpg
14396083407_69c855af24_k.jpg
inconceivable.jpg
th-6.jpeg
tank.jpg
th-3-342.jpeg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg
There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yes Josh, I am dense. And this topic strayed quite far without me pushing it. I hate making posts like this one. Responding to someone who calls me dense. My gut reaction is to call up Derek's topic history and post links to all the NIB Stern games he has been selling. How can I not call him a dealer at that level? Disprove it all you want. But if it walks like a duck... And so because of that I thought the topic was unfair. How many pictures of broken Stern games on location should I post as a JJP supporter? And how would those ones be treated? I think we all as a group could easily fill the first 3 pages of Pinside with "dead machines on location" reports, but that might get a bit boring. If someone not selling NIB Stern games had posted it, I'm not sure there would have been any hubbub. I would have read it (it mentions WOZ) and said to myself "Game on location has issues, shocker" and moved along.

Yawn

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

So Derek is or is not a Stern dealer?
I did a little more digging and some of the guys at Stern know Derek. I also talked to JJP and he and he knew Derek. I'm very confused that Derek got WOZ to Jon and then sold some NIB Stern games and he's not a Stern dealer. Seems strange to me.
So I got to the bottom of this. I talked to Derek and we arranged a tentative future trade for AMH. Damn now this guy is dealing Spooky games as well. Oh and he was trying to sell that Rush machine and some Bally and Capcom games.
So I think Derek is ?
A) A pinhead
B) A Broski
C) A nice guy
D) A hobbyist that helps people out
E) Crazy Pinball Nut
F) Supreme Brosiah

I'd stop digging you're gonna blow this thing wide open!!! You can't handle the truth bro.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

I'd stop digging you're gonna blow this thing wide open!!! You can't handle the truth bro.

It might turn out Derek is both Santa Claus and Carrot Top as well

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Easily Metallica. Nothing else has really been close lately.
From Mechslave on what's your favorite game at the moment thread.

Quoted from PinballKen:

Haha. Good ol pinside detective work.

ROFL. Detective work? I've posted the same thing in numerous opinion threads. MET is incredible and I've been addicted to it for months, and I've said so MANY times. And? This isn't an opinion thread. This is a reliability thread.

The fact is that when my MET magnet board went out for the SECOND time this is what happened. My MET goes down, then I call Pat, then we go over a few things and determine the magnet board got fried (again) and he doesn't know why but knows it's a common problem with MET's and then he sends me a replacement board. This has happened twice now. It also happened TWICE with XM LE: aux pcbs fried and game was down until I received new ones. Those boards also went out multiple times on XM machines I know of on route, the PHOF, the 1UP in Denver, etc.

And you know how many threads I made about it? None. Because Stern stood behind it and sent me a new part, so I wait for the part, put it in and fix it and go back to playing pinball.

The reason I point it out here is just to offer a bit of perspective for the WOZ Haters who seem to be totally offended by the notion of a light board going out on WOZ and needing to be replaced under warranty. And to offer the personal perspective that while nothing at all has gone wrong with my WOZ in 9 months or so of play, the same can't be said for the Sterns I owned the same length of time, setup from NIB.

In other words, the sky isn't falling and pinball machines still break down. Have a good day and play more pinball!

#205 9 years ago

It can also take WEEKS for Stern to get replacement parts out. Sometimes they're quick turnaround and sometimes they're not. Threads like this mean nothing, solve nothing.

WOZ = well known lightboard issues, now solved, all games shipping with new tech.
MET= well known hammer issues. Board related? Maybe, I don't care because I don't own met. Because of this i don't troll "MET Rules" threads and remind happy owners about the native QC design FLAW in their game....a flaw that prevented any new code from being released for mONTHS and that resulted in many unhappy campers selling the game. Fixed now? All new games shipping with fixed stuff? I don't know. But it would be pathetic for me to keep bringing it up every chance I got to the met heads. Right?
ACDC = well known issues with faulty light boards, canon motor, cloudy lower playfield window. Also a weak shooter mech and DMDs tht seem to fail 50% of the time (both of these chronic on all new Sterns. Certain ACDC fanboys pretend this never happen but still crap all over every WOZ thread they can find.
XMEN = faulty boards, hilariously oversized playfield bash toys, cheap magnet cores... more? Maybe, don't know, don't care and don't troll XMEN threads reminding owners how shitty their games are built.
AVLE= lots of freaking issues. Most fixable. New machines probably shipping with none of these issues. People crap on AVLE all the time. Most owners like/love game.

On route, 100% of the above mentioned games and 100% of the rest of games break. Some guys probably never look within themselves to ask why they are being punished...why else would a location WOZ always be broken for them? Coincidence? Or just BAD luck?

#206 9 years ago

Well said TFA. Things on pins break down, it just a fact. Im not sure why we have a pack of nut huggers ( lol ) who are hell bent on talking WOZ down....

The reality is you need to be able to fix pins if your going to put one in your home or on route. I just had to fix my drop target on WOZ last night. I had the ussual rolling back of the decal. Im not sure why they do this , cheap decal? Ive never had this problem with other target decals.

#207 9 years ago

Had to take the TNT target assembly out of my ACDC. Simple, simple, simple adjustment, but had to be done. Targets just weren't working right before I did it. On a route game, those targets might be "broken" forever.

#208 9 years ago

It is actually quite simple to do smd work in field, all you need are some soldering tweezers.

You can get some cheap ones which plug in to the wall for $50-60 off of ebay;

ebay.com link: SMD Soldering Desoldering Tweezers IC DIP Chip Surface Mount Device Removal

Hakko, metcal, goot etc. also make their own as well although they will cost you more as they are higher quality. (You get what you pay for after all)

#209 9 years ago

Pretty clear right TFA?

You can pick apart anything. I just don't recall seeing people, especially non owners of a pin, troll a pin like Woz. It's unreal, for 3+ years now. If a pin had a problem that I don't own, like the Met hammer, I'm sorry to hear about it but certainly wouldn't waste time crapping all over those threads non stop, because I just don't care.

Some of the Pinside paparazzi and dirty dozen really just hate Jack and happy Woz owners like poor Panzer!

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

especially non owners of a pin, troll a pin like Woz.

You got that right ICE, you guys did not even own the pin before you claimed victory and shouting out at the top of your lungs that you bought the best most exciting pin to every be built on earth ! I got so sick and tired of the continual bashing of the other maker by the WOZ people and you are one of the worst on pinside !

You guys made your own bed!

#211 9 years ago

Thankfully, every pin I have, including Woz, has had just minor adjustments with my Lotr LE probably having the most

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You got that right ICE, you guys did not even own the pin before you claimed victory and shouting out the top of your lungs that you bought the best most exciting pin to every be built on earth ! I got so sick and tired of the continual bashing of the other maker by the WOZ people and you are one of the worst on pinside !
You guys made your own bed!

Good lord, it only took you 30 seconds Jimmy!

Wtf are you talking about! I'm the worst. I own 4 Sterns and love em all. Go blow your BS somewhere else!

I love the bed I'm in. What's your problem

Woz is the greatest pin ever btw!

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What's your problem

No problem here, you are just a blow hard!

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

No problem here, you are just a blow hard!

Pot meet kettle! I'm a happy blow hard, what's your excuse

#215 9 years ago

Woz has faulty boards that are expensive and Jack is slow to replace. I think this is the main issue.

Stern though they can be slow are generally pretty quick to replace parts.

Both companies should do more testing prior to release, but they do not do the proper testing and I think repair/warranty is a substantial drain for both Stern and JJP. The sad part is they could probably do a much better job than they currently do and make a lot more profit.

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pot meet kettle!

I tried to meet the kettle but you were a no show at the TPF !! Big mouth no substance !

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I tried to meet the kettle but you were a no show at the TPF !! Big mouth no substance !

Sorry to disappoint! Beers on me next year

#218 9 years ago

You guys are freakn hilarious lol

#219 9 years ago

We need to have boxing matches at shows to settle disputes. How fun would that be?

errol-spence-boxing.jpgerrol-spence-boxing.jpg

#220 9 years ago

Or maybe some of these?

Sumo-Suits.jpgSumo-Suits.jpg
#221 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

A PC based system is always going to be a pain. Well, judging by how many people have problems with them outside pinball!

This is called "confirmation bias." When you turn on your computer, and it works, you don't go, "Yay, the computer worked today! Let me make a post about how my computer is once-again reliable. Let me call all my friends and post on Facebook about how reliable my computer is today." But if the opposite happens, people remember, and act like the exception proves the rule.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Woz has faulty boards that are expensive and Jack is slow to replace. I think this is the main issue.

I can only speak from the experience of owning a WOZ for close to 6 months and using it in multiple tournaments, and not based on what other random people have posted online, who may or may not have ever played a WOZ much less owned one... so take that with the appropriate amount of reverence that seems to be the Pinside standard.

That being said, I've never had even a single problem with any boards in my WOZ. My lights have never gone out. Everything still works as good as it did the day the game was un-boxed. The only problem I've ever had with my WOZ is the crystal ball became unglued to its base. A dab of silicon fixed it in about 10 seconds. Other than that, I have not had a single (hardware) problem with the game, other than one time a ball getting stuck that I had to remove the glass to un-stick. I have had some comments and criticisms about some of the software and ruleset, but the developers have addressed almost every concern I've had and gone beyond what I expected.

I am actually impressed with how reliable my WOZ has proven to be, especially considering how exponentially more complicated it is than a standard Stern game. Logic dictates that the more components and more moving parts there are, the more likely there will be problems - and common sense also dictates that a first-generation system built from the ground up is likely to be much less reliable than a system like Stern has been using for 20+ years. But I have to say, WOZ appears to be beating the odds in my experience. I've been pleasantly surprised that things are not more problematic than is expected.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

This is called "confirmation bias." When you turn on your computer, and it works, you don't go, "Yay, the computer worked today! Let me make a post about how my computer is once-again reliable. Let me call all my friends and post on Facebook about how reliable my computer is today." But if the opposite happens, people remember, and act like the exception proves the rule.

Yes... I had one of these computers.. GO! the blue screen of death!

#224 9 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Yes... I had one of these computers.. GO! the blue screen of death!

It's also worth noting that WOZ does NOT run under Microsoft Windows. WOZ is running under Ubuntu, a Linux variation that is really, really reliable.

I can't blame someone for being skeptical of Windows-reliability, but WOZ doesn't suffer from that problem.

#225 9 years ago

Didn't read through all the bitching here. But I've ran into 3 WOZs on location and 1 was working.

#226 9 years ago

I saw a working WOZ last week, I should have taken a picture for you guys.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

I saw a working WOZ last week, I should have taken a picture for you guys.

LTG : )™

IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0664.JPG
#228 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

IMG_0664.JPG 22 KB

That's not Toto!!!

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

We need to have boxing matches at shows to settle disputes. How fun would that be?

errol-spence-boxing.jpg 176 KB

Haha, nice. Well the WOZ side would win due to the boxers being more built, having more training ("code") and having better equipment. Sorry had to say it, lol. All in good fun.

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. Well the WOZ side would win due to the boxers being more built, having more training ("code") and having better equipment. Sorry had to say it, lol.

LOL

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Haha, nice. Well the WOZ side would win due to the boxers being more built, having more training ("code") and having better equipment. Sorry had to say it, lol. All in good fun.

I dont know Tank, I fought in a couple Toughman contests, Im taking bets.

#232 9 years ago

Lol this is the only fighting I can picture folks here doing. Wait until 40 seconds in. Gets hysterical.

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Lol this is the only fighting I can picture folks here doing.

Besides all the threats on RGP years ago prior to Expo. The only thing close I ever saw was when the guy from Jack Rabbit approached Keith and saw Keith was twice his size, he handed him his business card and fled.

People tend to mellow out and go to shows to enjoy pinball.

Disclaimer : Rick Swanson picked a fight with a person on RGP and threats went back and forth and Rick told the guy he'd kick his a** and posted his picture so he'd know who to look for. Was hilarious until I saw Rick posted a picture of me. Thanks Rick.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Besides all the threats on RGP years ago prior to Expo. The only thing close I ever saw was when the guy from Jack Rabbit approached Keith and saw Keith was twice his size, he handed him his business card and fled.
People tend to mellow out and go to shows to enjoy pinball.
Disclaimer : Rick Swanson picked a fight with a person on RGP and threats went back and forth and Rick told the guy he'd kick his a** and posted his picture so he'd know who to look for. Was hilarious until I saw Rick posted a picture of me. Thanks Rick.

Priceless. That made me laugh

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It can also take WEEKS for Stern to get replacement parts out. Sometimes they're quick turnaround and sometimes they're not. Threads like this mean nothing, solve nothing.
WOZ = well known lightboard issues, now solved, all games shipping with new tech.
MET= well known hammer issues. Board related? Maybe, I don't care because I don't own met. Because of this i don't troll "MET Rules" threads and remind happy owners about the native QC design FLAW in their game....a flaw that prevented any new code from being released for mONTHS and that resulted in many unhappy campers selling the game. Fixed now? All new games shipping with fixed stuff? I don't know. But it would be pathetic for me to keep bringing it up every chance I got to the met heads. Right?
ACDC = well known issues with faulty light boards, canon motor, cloudy lower playfield window. Also a weak shooter mech and DMDs tht seem to fail 50% of the time (both of these chronic on all new Sterns. Certain ACDC fanboys pretend this never happen but still crap all over every WOZ thread they can find.
XMEN = faulty boards, hilariously oversized playfield bash toys, cheap magnet cores... more? Maybe, don't know, don't care and don't troll XMEN threads reminding owners how shitty their games are built.
AVLE= lots of freaking issues. Most fixable. New machines probably shipping with none of these issues. People crap on AVLE all the time. Most owners like/love game.
On route, 100% of the above mentioned games and 100% of the rest of games break. Some guys probably never look within themselves to ask why they are being punished...why else would a location WOZ always be broken for them? Coincidence? Or just BAD luck?

Well said. Every pinball machine in existence has had some sort of issue at some point.

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Well said. Every pinball machine in existence has had some sort of issue at some point.

Even this one? It's always up and running whenever I run into it in the wild.

Early_Pinball.jpgEarly_Pinball.jpg
#237 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

If you guys want a real treat, go try to play WOZ at the PHOF. I have never seen that one work ever, it is on and will steal your money. No one is ever playing it ,no line, no crowd, no one cares.

I rest my case!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-vegas-at-the-phof

#238 9 years ago

I lived in the arcades during the 90's and the pinball machines were almost always broken in one way or another, maybe even turned off. Nothing new.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I rest my case!

I doubt that statement.

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I doubt that statement.

Truth hurts !

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Even this one? It's always up and running whenever I run into it in the wild.

Early_Pinball.jpg 97 KB

Show me where you put the coins.

#242 9 years ago

The only machine I could ever think about starting a thread about it being down is Dr. Who. Every pinball show and every arcade I've ever ran into it, always down.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Show me were you put the coins.

I believe you play to the death. Wizard mode means you actually meet Merlin.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Truth hurts !

Love hurts too.

#245 9 years ago

#246 9 years ago

Nazareth kicks ass ! Love hurts is my least favorite song .

#247 9 years ago

The games old. Medieval jokes. Bad ones.

LOL

#248 9 years ago

No! To the pain!

#249 9 years ago

Here in Omaha, Bene has been running a WOZ for quite some time - either they maintain them even better than I think, or WOZ isn't that much of a basket case. I know their WOZ did have some of the early lightboard issues and one audio problem, but I think it's been stable since...

Their Stern machines might have had comparatively fewer issues OOB; but WOZ was a newly engineered machine on a new line and with a new OS/design. Same thing happens with brand new car models, too. If they can stay in business long enough, I'm sure they'll have all the issues hammered out.

#250 9 years ago

Was at Knoebals yesterday. The right flipper coil failed on LOTR during 2 of my games. Oh well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozs-always-out-of-order-on-location/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.