• Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarkA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

HI Guys.
I recommend leaving the isolator in to keep the LED noise currents out of the Amp input. The transformer stops LED any current from flowing on the ground of the audio cable. If ground current exists, the current will couple into the L+R audio +inputs.

I agree with rerouting the audio cable. Move the cable out of the bundle it's ty-wrapped to. This will prevent other LED noise from coupling into the cable. (Thanks to Dave for finding this).

There are two methods being used to get the audio from the CPU board to the isolation transformer.
#1. Female connector that is pressed onto the audio out header connector on the CPU. (Shown in the pictures above)
Keep an eye on this connector. If you find that wiggling it makes the audio cut in and out then you have a poor connection. I recommend swapping the cable to method #2.

#2. Later games tap the audio out on the 3.5mm Green connector on the back of the CPU. It's a better connection (IMO) BUT it's not perfect. Wiggle that connection and if your cabinet speaker cuts out then your connection is not great. Some of the 3.5mm audio cables used have a slightly smaller diameter ground barrel and this causes the ground to open up causing static noise in the audio and the cabinet speaker output to drop. Position the cable so you get a good connection for now.
Thanks,
Mark

#7 9 years ago

The cable should be shielded but I have not dissected one to make sure.
A shielded cable will not help with magnetic coupling. It will help with capacitive coupling.
Here is how I understand it. A magnetic field in proximity with the shield of the cable will induce a current on the shield of the cable. In this case, the voltage difference across the ground of the CPU board and the Amp causes a current to flow in the ground shield of the cable…which may couple onto the L+R audio lines.
Even with the isolation transformer in place, there is still a small ground loop present through the L+R input impedance. I suspect this is what might be picking up the other noise.
I did some testing on my machine and I did get a good reduction in LED noise when I used the isolation transformer.
I suppose there may be cases where it behaves differently. I'm open to understanding how and why.

One more question. Does your game sound reasonably loud when you set the volume to 30?

Thanks,
Mark

#9 9 years ago

Signal Volume.
I'm running my System volume at 30. That's about my comfort limit in my basement.
I don't hear any noise at that level.
I'll play around with my cable the next time I have the glass off.

Well sound like you are in good shape.

Thanks,
Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarkA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozecle-speakers-sound-tinny-buzzing?tu=MarkA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.