(Topic ID: 56795)

WozEC LE Got to play it for my first time... My thoughts......

By BigB

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lyerelian
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glorious-boobs-gifs-monkey.gif
1311219974607.gif
3de6f_ORIG-bump.gif
thumbs_up_britgif.gif
funny-original-gif-invisible-tricycle-.gif
IMG_3056.jpg
IMG_3041.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg
stirthepot.gif
IMG_20130713_222342_483.jpg
IMG_20130713_220146_218.jpg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Got to see and play the WozEC LE for the first time last night. I must say, even if you are not a fan of the title theme, you will have fun playing this pin. I only got to play 2 games on it scoring 35,000 in game 1 and 95,000 points in game 2! It looks incredible!! Got to view the underside of the pf. IMPRESSIVE!! The machine looks like it was built like a brick shithouse! Can't wait to see what they come up with for The Hobbit. Is the quality going to be equal to, <, or > the Woz? 2 Thumbs up for JJP!! Stern definitely needs to step up to the plate to hang with JJP on quality, build, technology, etc....Great game.... Pictures to follow. Later........Big B

#2 10 years ago

I know, I know, I know! Pictures or it didn't happen.....

IMG_20130713_220146_218.jpgIMG_20130713_220146_218.jpg IMG_20130713_222342_483.jpgIMG_20130713_222342_483.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Nice write up! Its cool seeing how with each update the game continues to get better and better. This game just brings so many new things to pinball.

#4 10 years ago

Morning bump.

#5 10 years ago

Why are you bumping this?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Lol... Was thinking the same (was there a question???? is he selling something here???)

Perhaps looking for more congratulatory comments for a positive WOZ review in the wild?

#7 10 years ago

He's probably bumping for the same reason you guys show up in every positive WOZ thread trying to start drama.

#8 10 years ago

stirthepot.gifstirthepot.gif

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Just trying to share my experience with as many fellow pinsiders as I can. Thanks for the positive and uplifting encouragement!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Why do You care why he is bumping it...You didn't order a WoZ?

#11 10 years ago

I got to play last night for first time also, was less than impressed.

Don't get me wrong it was nice looking, sounded great and great art and plastic etc.. I like the theme and LCD screen.

My problem was that I didn't think it played all that fun, I don't even care about the rules at this point, I don't know what version it was, it was the standard edition at Nickel City in San Diego. 50c a play and some ball saver time.

When I play a new game I have not much idea of the rules, I just try to see if I like it. On Woz I didn't like it, I could hit the ramp ok reminded me of TZ a bit on that shot, but the right upper flipper is totally blind and I didn't like that much, maybe they will hold the ball with a magnet but this machine didn't and I can't hit a damn thing with that flipper.

The upper play fields were ok but more if just meh for me.

I like games that are fun just shooting the ball around. I had as much fun on tspp as Woz but really didn't like that a lot either. I actually had more fun on IJ4 than on Woz or tspp.

I had more fun on AcDc premium and Met pro, I don't like music pins or those bands enough to buy one, but just fun to play.

#12 10 years ago

Its gonna be a love it or leave it pin. I have 20 or so games on it and will be back to play in two weeks for a whole week instead of a short weekend. Place is open 24 hours as well!!!!! I hope its playing well cause it has to be one of its busiest locations...Jersey Shore Boards. I am not too confident that the software will be updated tho...

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I got to play last night for first time also, was less than impressed.
Don't get me wrong it was nice looking, sounded great and great art and plastic etc.. I like the theme and LCD screen.
My problem was that I didn't think it played all that fun, I don't even care about the rules at this point, I don't know what version it was, it was the standard edition at Nickel City in San Diego. 50c a play and some ball saver time.
When I play a new game I have not much idea of the rules, I just try to see if I like it. On Woz I didn't like it, I could hit the ramp ok reminded me of TZ a bit on that shot, but the right upper flipper is totally blind and I didn't like that much, maybe they will hold the ball with a magnet but this machine didn't and I can't hit a damn thing with that flipper.
I like games that are fun just shooting the ball around. I had as much fun on tspp as Woz but really didn't like that a lot either. I actually had more fun on IJ4 than on Woz or tspp.
I had more fun on AcDc premium and Met pro, I don't like music pins or those bands enough to buy one, but just fun to play.

The pin at Nickle City has cost me two orders now but please keep in mind that it is a prototype to get exposure and for people to see that the pin is real and does exists. No matter what Jack does sometimes it seems he can not win. He sent out several of these pins so people could see it is not vaporware, its real and does look good with many more updates in code to follow. Its more for the eye candy to show how beautiful the cabinet and HD monitor work look instead of the older dmd display. It does not have the correct hardware, I/O Board, etc…..

#14 10 years ago

^^^^

I understand that and that works for the general public to a degree but not with pinheads. I am lucky enough to have played at Allentown and on location. If the general public figures out it has quirks thats not good. I saw a lot of non-pinheads playing woz on location and they all seemed to love it.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Don't need to have a steak in this grill to want to know what the BBQ smells like.

Question to OP, what does it play similar to if anything? More/less flow then tz? More/less stop/start then tspp?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

The pin at Nickle City has cost me two orders now but please keep in mind that it is a prototype to get exposure and for people to see that the pin is real and does exists. No matter what Jack does sometimes it seems he can not win. He sent out several of these pins so people could see it is not vaporware, its real and does look good with many more updates in code to follow. Its more for the eye candy to show how beautiful the cabinet and HD monitor work look instead of the older dmd display. It does not have the correct hardware, I/O Board, etc…..

I can only imagine on the lost sales. They should upgrade or pull these games. 99% of people would never know the difference between the proto and production game so these are a bad representation. The code on the protos was pretty lame.

#17 10 years ago

As someone who owns a TZ, ordered a WOZ and has played one I would say only the main ramp shot is similar. I love how complex and deep TZ is and that's just one of the reasons why I ordered a WOZ.

#18 10 years ago

I just think, some people like some games a lot and some people don't. I would play Woz some but from my play of it, I'd rather buy back my CFTBL or STTNG or a different pin. I am sure it's a fine pin but for me, not good enough to buy one.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've found that you can make the spinning house playfield a lot more fun by slightly upping the strength of the flipper. It makes the ball comes around really fast, and it's much more difficult. With the newest software, you need to shoot it around the house a certain number of times (operator adjustable) in order to start one of the Munchkin modes.

#20 10 years ago

I gave WOZ a go several times on 3 different occasions. I agree, so far it just not that fun. I know I'm not into the theme (Musical? Really?) but the upper playfields are nice, but just not that interesting. Lower playfield is fine, but the software and lighting don't yet match up. Shoot what? Why isn't it lit? Where is it anyway? GI lighting is lacking too.

Having said that, the build quality looks light years better that Avengers (I haven't seen a MET yet), which IMO is a pin that should NEVER be put on location unless you have Fix It Felix parked right next to it.

#21 10 years ago

I agree the game looks great in person and is a definite step up from current Stern quality. I just didn't care for the slower type stop and go feel. It just isn't my type of game nor is the theme. However it is great to see another player in the hobby.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Don't need to have a steak in this grill to want to know what the BBQ smells like.

I don't think we have this expression in America...

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

We do now!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've found that you can make the spinning house playfield a lot more fun by slightly upping the strength of the flipper. It makes the ball comes around really fast, and it's much more difficult. With the newest software, you need to shoot it around the house a certain number of times (operator adjustable) in order to start one of the Munchkin modes.

I totally agree. If you are not on your "A" game then you will drain the ball of the spinning house playfield before activating munchkin mode. It's super fast! You have to be spot on!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just think, some people like some games a lot and some people don't. I would play Woz some but from my play of it, I'd rather buy back my CFTBL or STTNG or a different pin. I am sure it's a fine pin but for me, not good enough to buy one.

u could buy back both!!!

#26 10 years ago

Question to OP, what does it play similar to if anything? More/less flow then tz? More/less stop/start then tspp?

To me it's a lot of stop and start but that's because I had never played before. When you don't know where your shots are or what to do next or where to look (pf or video screen) it's nice to be able to stop the ball and get your bearings straight.

#27 10 years ago

On the way to Niagara Falls, the wife and I diverted an hour+ in each direction up to the Playdium all he way up in Toronto just to play WOZ. I was going to start a thread about it, but I haven't done so because it seems that most WOZ lead to fighting. For the life of me I can't understand why, but I guess that's why I'm not one of the ones arguing. I have no dog in the fight. I can't afford a WOZ.

We were intending to just stop in and play for a little while, but we ended up staying for something like 4 hours just taking turns on WOZ!!! We absolutely loved it, even though it seemed to be really early code. Going in, I thought it was going to be awkward, cluttered, annoying, and a whole host of other negatives, but I ended up feeling exactly the opposite way about it. I also thought I would hate the upper playfields because I almost always hate upper playfields, but these I thought were really well integrated. I had zero desire to play any other pins while we were there and neither of us could get enough of WOZ.

From the LCD screen, to the LED light show, to the layout, to the toys, to the overall fun factor, this is a pin that drew us into it's reality like no other. I can't wait to play one with updated code. Again, I'm not a Stern person, a DE/Sega person, a Gottlieb person, a JJP person, or an anything else person. That all being said, I feel that JJP has just raised the bar in a major way. The evidence of that will be when Stern copies features and elements of WOZ. Who could blame them? It's awesome!

The actual game play of any pin is going to be ENTIRELY a matter of opinion, just as theme will be, and both will be different from one pin to the next with JJP just as it is with Stern, but the elements that add to the experience without affecting game play are what make this one so far ahead of the curve. IMG_3039.jpgIMG_3039.jpg IMG_3041.jpgIMG_3041.jpg IMG_3056.jpgIMG_3056.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Nicely stated pt

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from ctozzi:

I just didn't care for the slower type stop and go feel.

It definitely has a TZ feel to it for me. I really liked it when I played one in March. But for me it was between WOZ and MET and frankly I enjoy flow much more though I would consider picking up a WOZ if the wife really likes it (she's already said no based on theme alone but I think she'll really enjoy it in person).

Given how long it may take to get an NIB standard WOZ though I'll probably just hold off until Hobbit -- which from what I heard from my distributor who saw the pf layout -- is to have a lot more flow and ramp shots.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

He's probably bumping for the same reason you guys show up in every positive WOZ thread trying to start drama.

I'm sure you mean someone else jam burglar.

Quoted from sepins:

When did you become my accountant? How do you know what I have?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't think we have this expression any where. Then again they didn't have the pyramids until they were built.

#32 10 years ago

Great story PT.....

Afternoon bump......

#33 10 years ago

Then again they didn't have the pyramids until they were built.

Another one?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

too funny.

Are some folks under the impression that only people that pre-order a game are the ones interested in it? Or will ever own one? Or play one?

Believe it or not, there a few old-fashioned types that would like to PLAY a game before buying it.... I know that seems INSANE, but trust me, there's 2 or 3 of us out there

I've been out trying to find a WoZ to play in the wild for a couple weeks.... have had mixed luck... Glad this OP found one to play...

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

too funny.
Are some folks under the impression that only people that pre-order a game are the ones interested in it? Or will ever own one? Or play one?
Believe it or not, there a few old-fashioned types that would like to PLAY a game before buying it.... I know that seems INSANE, but trust me, there's 2 or 3 of us out there
I've been out trying to find a WoZ to play in the wild for a couple weeks.... have had mixed luck... Glad this OP found one to play...

Play before you buy? That's crazy talk!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I think the main hole in this thinking is when the prototypes started showing up at shows and in videos people would say "It looks like the flippers are weak. It doesn't look like there is anything there rules wise". The JJ hype response was always "The flippers are defiantly strong enough the player just wasn't hitting the shot right and the rules will be finished before the game ships. This is the greatest game eva!"

Now that production games have been made the excuse for everything is "That's a prototype game...they are crap. It's not like the super cool real games. Oh...and by the way, the code isn't finished yet.....but it will be".

Where will the line be drawn? After WOZ is finished and Hobbit is about to be released I can easily see the JJ hype train saying..."Well WoZ was crap. It was the first game and they didn't know what they were doing. The Hobbit is different. It's the greatest game eva!".

It harkens back to when every new Stern game come with a "Jack played it...he likes it" then when Jack stopped selling these same games they, all of a sudden, felt like they were made out of cardboard and you have to struggle to get the ball up the ramp.

WoZ Prototype games were the best thing eva, but now they are constantly the excuse for every criticism or at least the first thing that is asked when someone does have a criticism of WoZ.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Attrition will get the 2 or 3 out of the loop.

LTG : )

#38 10 years ago

On a side note, I was at the PHOF the other day and was surprised that their WOZ was down for the count.

#39 10 years ago

Evening bump......

#40 10 years ago

Evening bump......

bwhahaha! well played...

here's a prototype-inspired bump as well...

funny-original-gif-invisible-tricycle-.giffunny-original-gif-invisible-tricycle-.gif

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

On a side note, I was at the PHOF the other day and was surprised that their WOZ was down for the count.

Well if you cant play it at least get a picture with it.
Maybe they can add a "photo mode" where the lights still work.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Well if you cant play it at least get a picture with it.
Maybe they can add a "photo mode" where the lights still work.

Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Does that scroll on the screen?

(Kidding)

#44 10 years ago

Yeah, I don't like how WOZ plays at all, boring in my opinion, which I hate because I really really wanted to love this pin. JJP definitely has caused Stern to step up their game, and finally brought some new technology to pinball, and I think all supporters of pinball will benefit from JJP efforts for years, I just hope their Hobbit is a little more entertaining then WOZ. I know there are many differing opinions on WOZ, but the annoying audio, sub-par general illumination, lack of flow, and no real gratifying shots just kill the whole WOZ experience for me. I appreciate the build quality and new tech efforts though. Keep after it JJP! Can't wait to see what Hobbit plays like.

#45 10 years ago

Brawny...where did you get to play woz? i may have missed it

#46 10 years ago

Late evening bump......

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

bwhahaha! well played...

here's a prototype-inspired bump as well...

that's hilarious.....

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

Yeah, I don't like how WOZ plays at all, boring in my opinion, which I hate because I really really wanted to love this pin. JJP definitely has caused Stern to step up their game, and finally brought some new technology to pinball, and I think all supporters of pinball will benefit from JJP efforts for years, I just hope their Hobbit is a little more entertaining then WOZ. I know there are many differing opinions on WOZ, but the annoying audio, sub-par general illumination, lack of flow, and no real gratifying shots just kill the whole WOZ experience for me. I appreciate the build quality and new tech efforts though. Keep after it JJP! Can't wait to see what Hobbit plays like.

But Popeye is awesome, right?

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

But Popeye is awesome, right?

No, MY Popeye is awesome. Never played another Popeye that I liked at all. Takes a lot of tweaking and attention, but my Popeye plays VERY VERY nicely. And my WCS94 plays great so far and I am not done tweaking that one. Took about 4 tries to get the angle of the in-lanes to match up correctly with the flippers and then another 4 or 5 different tries to get the angle of the flippers just perfect, but at least that is dialed in now. All in the details. But you can't so easily change annoying audio, unsatisfying shots, and lack of flow. I am sure as the still unfinished code gets closer to some sort of completion in the next few years that the play experience will get better, but in my opinion I do not anticipate ever really enjoying WOZ, hopefully Hobbit will play more to my liking. To each their own.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

No, MY Popeye is awesome. Never played another Popeye that I liked at all. Takes a lot of tweaking and attention, but my Popeye plays VERY VERY nicely. And my WCS94 plays great so far and I am not done tweaking that one. Took about 4 tries to get the angle of the in-lanes to match up correctly with the flippers and then another 4 or 5 different tries to get the angle of the flippers just perfect, but at least that is dialed in now. All in the details. But you can't so easily change annoying audio, unsatisfying shots, and lack of flow. I am sure as the still unfinished code gets closer to some sort of completion in the next few years that the play experience will get better, but in my opinion I do not anticipate ever really enjoying WOZ, hopefully Hobbit will play more to my liking. To each their own.

If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozec-le-got-to-play-it-for-my-first-time-my-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.