You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

882B7C2D-CA70-4AC4-8D59-B00F6F8A6663 (resized).jpeg
woz reset switch (resized).jpg
photo 2 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Went to turn on my Wizard of Oz last night and nothing. Worked fine last time I played it. Completely dead, like it wasn’t plugged in....no noise, nothing. It’s from the first run, (565/1000) and just the regular version. Bought it about 4 months ago and not sure if anything was replaced or not. Where do I start?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Went to turn on my Wizard of Oz last night and nothing. Worked fine last time I played it. Completely dead, like it wasn’t plugged in....no noise, nothing. It’s from the first run, (565/1000) and just the regular version. Bought it about 4 months ago and not sure if anything was replaced or not. Where do I start?

Time to call #LTG the WOZ whisperer. Lol PM him I am sure he will guide you down the yellow brick road quickly. GL

#3 5 years ago

I dont own a jjp game but it sounds like a fuse in the power box. William's games have a fuse in the power box above the switch to turn the game on. If this fuse is blown no power goes through the game at all. Good luck man

#4 5 years ago

Can you power anything else up from that plug? Like a lamp or another game?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Time to call #LTG the WOZ whisperer. Lol PM him I am sure he will guide you down the yellow brick road quickly. GL

I've heard if you hold the phone up to the machine, Lloyd's magic will bring the machine back to life.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

I dont own a jjp game but it sounds like a fuse in the power box. William's games have a fuse in the power box above the switch to turn the game on. If this fuse is blown no power goes through the game at all. Good luck man

Definitely check the main fuse before anything else.

#7 5 years ago

Plug something into the service outlet to see if you have power that far. If not check that the outlet the machine is plugged into works, and the power cord into the back of the game is in tight. Then check main fuse, and remove metal cover ( with the game unplugged ) over the on/off switch and see if everything is okay in there.

If all good. Then check the metal cover of the box covering all the boards and see if it has a label that says reset switch inside. If so turn gamne on, dig around and find the reset switch buried in there, hit it once. No label ? Then likely no switch, then short pins 6 and 8 briefly on JFP1 on the motherboard to simulate pushing the on button of a PC, and see if it turns on then. ( JFP1 is on the left side front of the motherboard, if you were in front of the game, see picture )

If that doesn't do it, then start checking outputs of atx power supply or power supply board if your game has that.

LTG : )

photo 2 (resized).JPGphoto 2 (resized).JPG
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Open the metal box in the cabinet, look for a black momentary switch on a wire loose in there (should be near the bottom, but maybe not) - it might even be marked "reset" with a sticker flag if you're lucky. Make sure the power switch on the cabinet is on, then press and release that little button and see if it starts it all up.
woz reset switch (resized).jpgwoz reset switch (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

Sounds like th

Quoted from LTG:

Plug something into the service outlet to see if you have power that far. If not check that the outlet the machine is plugged into works, and the power cord into the back of the game is in tight. Then check main fuse, and remove metal cover ( with the game unplugged ) over the on/off switch and see if everything is okay in there.
[quoted image]

Sounds like one of these if it is totally dead hopefully you will not need to go further into LTGs excellent instructions.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Sounds like th

Sounds like one of these if it is totally dead hopefully you will not need to go further into LTGs excellent instructions.

When this has happened to me, the reset switch has always worked. It seems completely dead until you hit the reset switch. No idea how it gets in this state, but it's happened on an early run ECLE twice in 3-4 years or so.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When this has happened to me, the reset switch has always worked. It seems completely dead until you hit the reset switch. No idea how it gets in this state, but it's happened on an early run ECLE twice in 3-4 years or so.

I had this happen too but you could see the monitor powered up so I knew power was going in. Could be different versions though, mine is one of the early 7.5v. In any case hopefully he will get it sorted easily.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

LTG said it’s next to the self destruct button. Push it and the monkeys fly out! I knew Lloyd would find the cure.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I had this happen too but you could see the monitor powered up so I knew power was going in. Could be different versions though, mine is one of the early 7.5v. In any case hopefully he will get it sorted easily.

You know what, now that you mention it, I think the monitor WAS powered up both times this happened, but that was all. Maybe the power cord came loose behind the metal plate on the outside back of the cabinet? It would be GREAT if JJP (and Stern, but that will never happen) adopted server-style click-in power cords that can't just fall out or be pulled out.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You know what, now that you mention it, I think the monitor WAS powered up both times this happened, but that was all. Maybe the power cord came loose behind the metal plate on the outside back of the cabinet? It would be GREAT if JJP (and Stern, but that will never happen) adopted server-style click-in power cords that can't just fall out or be pulled out.

I personally prefer they stay with the same universal plug like all other machines. Keeps life simple and really how often does the plug fall out? Keep it simple as they say.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I personally prefer they stay with the same universal plug like all other machines. Keeps life simple and really how often does the plug fall out? Keep it simple as they say.

Having the click-in plug receptacle would not prevent you from using "normal" PC-style plugs from other machines or your junk drawer on it (if you lost the original, for example), but if you DO have a click-in cord, it would make it extra-secure from coming loose or falling out.

#16 5 years ago

Wow, OP posted 5 hours ago and then abandoned thread. Nice.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Wow, OP posted 5 hours ago and then abandoned thread. Nice.

Sometimes life gets in the way.

#18 5 years ago

Work my friends...work gets in the way I travel for a living, and honestly thought it’d take longer to get replies!

First off, thank you for all the suggestions! Glad to finally have a path to follow I did check the outlet, it’s not that. Other games work. Cord seemed secure as well. When I get back home in a few days, I’ll start with all what LTG said and go from there! Will post what I find.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Work my friends...work gets in the way

How dare you go to work when you have an F'ing pin down. Where are your priorities?

#20 5 years ago

Right!?! Almost called in sick

#21 5 years ago

Got home late last night, ran errands early so could spend most of the day on this. Understand this is my first JJP, and is my newest in my collection. First tugged and wiggles the power cord again and it seemed tight and non moving. The plugged in the machine and checked the service outlet, and nothing. So was rather excited because that narrowed it down considerably. Checked the fuse, that tested good, so I pulled the game further away from the wall. Went to unplug it and bumped the cable by accident and power came back for a second then died again. So I wiggled the cord and same thing. Ah HA! I looked closer and saw a plate there for the first time :doh unscrewd that, felt plugged in so I unplugged and replugged it back into the back. Well, power went to the service outlet now (YAY!), but game still not doing anything (BOO!). So thought for a sec and remembered about the reset vireland mentioned, so found that, pushed....and the beautiful bootup began to happen.

So thank you so much to LTG and vireland! That side of the arcade looks whole again.

882B7C2D-CA70-4AC4-8D59-B00F6F8A6663 (resized).jpeg882B7C2D-CA70-4AC4-8D59-B00F6F8A6663 (resized).jpeg
5 years later
#22 3 months ago

Earlier my game turned on tonight but now won't

Unpluggedcpower chord And repeated it to back of game and wall outlet. Checked same outlet and does power on other things.

Checked fuses including main fuse.

Tried shorting pins on the board.

Reseated connectors and ATX power supply power chord I/ O board and CPU.

What else can try. No lights, fans, or anything at all is turning on. Did turn on just a few minutes earlier before this problem happened.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Earlier my game turned on tonight but now won't
Unpluggedcpower chord And repeated it to back of game and wall outlet. Checked same outlet and does power on other things.
Checked fuses including main fuse.
Tried shorting pins on the board.
Reseated connectors and ATX power supply power chord I/ O board and CPU.
What else can try. No lights, fans, or anything at all is turning on. Did turn on just a few minutes earlier before this problem happened.

Are there any red lights (or any at all) inside the metal box (remove lid) in the bottom of the cabinet when you hit the power?

#24 3 months ago

Thermistor in main fuse blew. So going to replace it this weekend?

What could cause it to blow? Does it mean machine might have problems I need to address?

#25 3 months ago

My friend's Hobbit died, turned out he had to replace the motherboard to get it to work again.

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Thermistor in main fuse blew. So going to replace it this weekend?
What could cause it to blow? Does it mean machine might have problems I need to address?

A small voltage surge can make a Thermistor blow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 91.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-wont-turn-oncompletely-dead-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.