WOZ won't boot

By edcianci

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

1st time in a good year or 2 - maybe longer i went to play it and it won't boot - before i put a ticket in - if i even remember how - i figured i would ask - i get the following error.

current running mode 1.1.2
cannot find required map name
press escape in 1 sec to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue
shell>

i tried booting it with coin door closed and with coin door open - hasn't been played in maybe 2 years - has about 200 plays on it - if even that - any suggestions that are easy as i have no skills

thanks ed

#2 5 years ago

I would try doing a fresh installation from the latest software. The download and full instructions are on the JJP website.

If that doesn’t work it could be the hard drive or memory inside the computer has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

#3 5 years ago

Hook a keyboard with a usb cable to the update cable by the coin box, and hit escape and see if it gets going. Or hit F2 next.

LTG : )

3 weeks later
#4 5 years ago

Hi. This is Ray, a friend of Ed. I do have 30 plus years in arcade games but no JJP's. WOZ boots as Ed described earlier. ESC nor F2 had any effect. I have only 2.96V on battery. I suspect I will need to reprogram BIOS. Holding F2 brought me to "Enter Password". That is where I stopped. I could use more advice on how to proceed.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rcotoia:

I could use more advice on how to proceed.

Password is qmodem

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

Or the solid state hard drive is dead.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

1st time in a good year or 2 - maybe longer i went to play it and it won't boot

Solid state drives normally retain data for only a couple years with no power. I'd check the drive for errors and try reloading the software.

#8 5 years ago

Thank you guys for the help. It may be a week or more before I can get back to Ed's. I will bring a Full Reinstall stick that I made from jjp.com. When I do go back there I will replace the battery and use that password. Can I expect that will show me a familiar mobo BIOS? And are there any special settings or are defaults ok? I would imagine ON after Power Fail is essential. So WOZ has an ssd? I don't have any of those but would it be feasible to bring a 2.5" sata just to use for troubleshooting?

#9 5 years ago

Yes all JJ pins have a SSD hard drive in them. After all, It is a computer running Linux.....

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Well I am back at Ed’s WOZ. I have changed the battery and reset the date and time within the BIOS. I also made sure it was set to “Power On” after power loss.

The BIOS reports No SATA devices found, and of course the full restore from thumb drive failed with error:
[ Unable to find target hard drive: “sda”!!! ]

I teporarily put in a used 2.5” spinning HDD and the restore seemed to work just fine. After completetion the game booted normally.

So aside from having a bad SSD, are there any other settings that need to be changed in the BIOS?

#11 5 years ago

If the drive was off for two years and 'forgot' its data repartitioning and reloading may be all that's needed. Many standard hard drive tools can test it.

Edit: If you go into the BIOS in the hdd section and the motherboard shows the drive but the OS won't see it that's a sign it may still be good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-won-t-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.