(Topic ID: 177932)

WOZ Oz Head LEDs Failing?

By darkryder

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0367 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0361 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I just picked up a WOZ RR with very low plays and latest code and noticed one issue. The translucent green Wizard target plastic on the right side of the playfield is not lit during game play. The LEDs on the board underneath the plastic are dimly lit, but the LEDs aren't putting out enough light to make the plastic shine green. Anyone else run into this issue on WOZ? Is the LED strip under the plastic failing or something else? Any guidance would be appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

From my experience there are two things if your LED is totally fine from the factory they did not pin these directly under the cylinders that run up to the Playfield on a lot of the ones that I got you have to swivel them to put the led directly under the cylinder which will give you way more light also you can increase the lighting settings in the menu it doesn't give you much but it gives you a little something other than those two suggestions maybe the LED is just taking a crap try reseating it just in case

#3 7 years ago

Hi darkryder, yes my RR had the same issue when it was about a year old.You will need jjp to send out a new l e d strip,I think the shock of the v u k under it does not help,until the new one arrives I would unplug l e d strip.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I tried reseating the L-5 connector for the Wizard acrylic LED strip, but it made no difference. I also backed up my game settings and tried resetting the game to factory settings also with no luck. What's odd is the green LEDs are dimly lit, so it's not like they're totally dead. I hope it's just the LED strip, I'll contact JJP support tomorrow. Below are a few pictures of what I'm describing.

IMG_0361 (resized).JPGIMG_0361 (resized).JPG

IMG_0363 (resized).JPGIMG_0363 (resized).JPG

IMG_0364 (resized).JPGIMG_0364 (resized).JPG

IMG_0367 (resized).JPGIMG_0367 (resized).JPG

IMG_0368 (resized).JPGIMG_0368 (resized).JPG

IMG_0365 (resized).JPGIMG_0365 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

I just submitted a ticket with detailed description and photos on JJP's support site. Will follow up with the solution once this is resolved.

#6 7 years ago

So I did some troubleshooting of the light strip and determined that it had a bad solder connection. The LEDs would shine brightly if I squeezed one of the LEDs tightly against the strip. I tried carefully soldering the LED connection to the strip, but now it doesn't light at all. Steve from JJP is sending me a new replacement LED strip for the Oz head.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

So I did some troubleshooting of the light strip and determined that it had a bad solder connection. The LEDs would shine brightly if I squeezed one of the LEDs tightly against the strip. I tried carefully soldering the LED connection to the strip, but now it doesn't light at all. Steve from JJP is sending me a new replacement LED strip for the Oz head.

For those light strips, the way to get the wire soldered to it is to get a small amount of solder to adhere to the terminal pad of the strip. Then attaching the wire is easy.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

For those light strips, the way to get the wire soldered to it is to get a small amount of solder to adhere to the terminal pad of the strip. Then attaching the wire is easy.

I like to put some solder on the copper terminals on the LED strip, as well as solder on the wire ends. With both parts pre-soldered, you get a super strong connection when they're melted together. I also install a piece of heat shrink over the connection for protection & durability.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-wizard-light-failing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.