(Topic ID: 170798)

WOZ Red Smoke and Witch Mod (out of production)/Monkey Mod (List closed)

By gouveia

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,390 posts
  • 388 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Nethawk86
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 256 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
monkey (resized).jpg
6891C764-47BF-497C-9946-A0EEBCBE5D19 (resized).png
IMG_5253 (resized).JPG
IMG_5243 (resized).JPG
IMG_1117 (resized).JPG
881CC226-2295-42D5-BC3A-9ECC55658A8B.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-06-29-08-44-27~2 (resized).png
tumblr_oatn3vOHpq1vbsk0io1_640 (resized).jpg
20190628_121659 (resized).jpg
20190628_121652 (resized).jpg
20190628_121643 (resized).jpg
25C3530A-96D3-4CC3-A9DB-DAEAAB7C49D3 (resized).jpeg
87622639-4BA7-4094-8520-C8DBB6E4592C (resized).jpeg
IMG_E5130 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 2 years ago

Please add me to the list!

2 weeks later
#295 2 years ago

Someone should post installation instructions (or a link) with pics and give some tips if you get into trouble (as I always do) especially adjusting the witch height.

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from gouveia:

If you can work a screwdriver, you can install it.

Should add "without hurting yourself" (me only perhaps...)

2 weeks later
#405 2 years ago

Now all we can do is put a hundred games on it and check for wear and ball hangs?
My witch can seems to have zero scratches or dents from ball strikes...so im confident that there shouldn't be a ball hang there.

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You are missing the rubber on the left as well.

Is it missing or just rolled way up high?

#415 2 years ago

Yep, definitely missing!
You actually need that one too! The ball slams into that post all the time, I have had to replace both of those (on either side of the witch switch) on my game due to splitting off.

1 week later
#438 2 years ago

Add me to the list for a second one please! (I have 2 games now...)

4 weeks later
#532 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Got the mod today. Installed it in under 15 minutes. Fired it up. Here's my two-word review:
Holy shit.
This mod is a transformative one on the level of the ramp lights on Tron. The fit and finish are spectacular...and it smells great, too!
I love that you have no idea the witch is there (unlike before). When you're playing, it's tucked in a dark corner. You don't even realize what it is until it fires up.
This mod is absolute genius. I bow down humbly before you, Steve, and can't wait to see what you come up with next!

I installed mine yesterday......Ummm, what beelzeboob said above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There really are no words to describe how perfect this is for the game, The original designers can learn from you.

Thank you so much Steve!

#546 2 years ago

My witch rubs her hat a tiny bit on the front edge of the red smoke.
It doesnt affect function at all. it just might wear the paint off in time.
Do I bend the shaft or what is the best adjustment for this?

On a side note:

My wife over the last 20 years only played pinball due to boredom when ever I played at home or in a barcade and maybe sipped wine a bit.

She was just thrilled when she helped open the box on the brand new WOZ.
She just loves the game, the colors, the lights, the call-outs etc. and plays it 3-4 nights a week, and has for 4 years now.

A few weeks back I bought Matt's sculptures to freshen up the game a bit for her.
She was thrilled and excited to see the new toys and felt it was a great addition to her game.

Last sunday I installed the Steve's new witch replacement.
She insisted in helping with the job, and to inspect every detail, and to wax the PF/clean the glass when done, to get rid of any of "my" finger prints etc on "HER" game. Tested the witch up and down and was excited to see it in play.

On the first game with the glass on, she cries out "Oh My God, The witch actually does things!!!"

She has played the game for 4 years and it hadn't registered in her mind, that the witch is a big part of the game, due to being big part of the story. She had never made the connection because she had never actually seen the witch, just a plastic can with an obscured thing inside. (and her average score is over a million!)

She said this addition has totally changed the game, in her mind everything has just "clicked", and it all makes sense now, and this game will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! leave my/her collection.

Thanks Steve for making us very happy. Thanks JJP for getting my wife involved in pinball, she now considers herself a "Pinhead" and participates in WOZ strategy discussions at pinball parties and has become a great player!

Steve Gouveia - Changing pinball/Changing lives...

#555 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

If the witches hat rubs front or back you can lift the playfield and slightly bend the whole under playfield
Mechanism. This fixed mine -it rubbed from factory

Nice, Ill try that, thanks!

1 month later
#699 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Got back alley walls today to complement my red smoke witch. Fit together a like glove. Not sure if earlier walls had this but with my wall the mounting hole was a bit oblong to allow for some positioning.

I bought the whole back alley package.
The witch mod pulls everything together perfectly, Im so very pleased!

2 months later
#827 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine arrived Monday and I installed it last night. What a fantastic high quality mod. Install was about 20 mins. If I had to do it again, would be 5 mins. Took me a little while to understand how the old witch comes out. Simply pull her up, she is on a threaded rod running through the motor. Turn the game on to get her in the up position, then pull up on her and she will slide right out.
I'm thinking about lighting up the back of her just a bit. If anyone is interested in a light back there let me know, would be tied to the same lights that currently light her in the front when she is active. Could be an orange or red light, maybe even white. I'll post a video when I get it up and running.

A little brighter illumination would be great as long as it doesnt shine in ones eyes.

1 month later
#884 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

what exactly are you doing there?

sanding the smoke part level after casting.

2 weeks later
#955 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - after having this mod now for a week or so, it grows on me more and more where it's gone from a nice to have to def highly recommended. It really does look nice. If this is the last run, jump on this.

No way this is the last run !
Steve needs to live like a monk in a cave and devote his life to making these wonderful creations

4 months later
#1063 1 year ago

Sorry, there is no list. Production has ended on this for now.

2 weeks later
2 months later
#1158 1 year ago

I think it means, just chill a bit...

3 weeks later
#1180 1 year ago

If i sell my game I'll remove it and the mod will stay with me forever

In case I buy another WOZ down the road

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Happy Memorial Day!

Sign me up for 2 please.
One for each of my games.

#1187 1 year ago

Oh I forgot to say
Amazing !
Stunning !
Beautiful !
A work of art, well done

#1240 1 year ago

Cant wait to get this installed on my game!

"Monkey on my back?" Yep, I think so....Im addicted to Steve's art!

#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Hello everyone! First of all, thanks for all the nice compliments. I'm glad you like the monkey, because I put a F***LOAD of time into making it!!! A ridiculous amount of time, actually. But I'm really proud of it, and I can't wait to share it with you guys.
Second, for all of you who are asking, I don't have any more witches right now. I just don't and I'm sorry about that. When I get more time, I'll probably make some more, but they take so much of a commitment that it won't be for a while.
And finally, I'm not on here much right now because of work and other things, but I'll have much more of a presence on the thread soon. The monkey is not quite done, because it consists of a bunch of little parts that I've ordered and need to assemble and all that. But I'll have more time soon, and I plan on going for it and making as many as I can for you guys. So please be patient and I'll try and get to all of you.
In the meantime, here's this...
Steve
» YouTube video

I'm in for 2, Nicely done!

#1329 1 year ago

Must

Have

Monkey

At any price...

2 months later
#1375 11 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

is there link for the monkey mod yet?

Links! "we don' need no stinkin' links..."

1 month later
#1395 9 months ago

First on the non-existant list!
I call dibs

3 weeks later
#1411 9 months ago

Hopefully mine are still on the list!

#1415 9 months ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

This thread is gonna crash pinside Wednesday!

Hmmm AM or PM?

#1420 9 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

PM. Noon.
Sorry. It was late.

Setting all of my alarms now.

#1505 9 months ago

Im in! for 1 or 2 if possible for my games.

1 week later
#1608 8 months ago

I love the Monkey Air Force, wearing Ray-Bans!

Looks sinister...

1 month later
#1754 7 months ago

WOW, incredible work as always! Thanks Steve!

If there is a waiting list for the next mod, be it the color changing horse or the actual holographic OZ head floating above the game or the emerald city that lights up in a glass dome?

Im in!

2 months later
#1883 5 months ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I don't exactly know my spot in line....but I am willing to go to the very end. I have no problem waiting until last.

same here. I dont know where I am on the list either.
Im not in a hurry and am willing to wait for a final, dialed in product.

1 week later
#1904 4 months ago
Quoted from dnaman:

So congratulations on the second hand smoke?

I saw what you did there....!

2 weeks later
#1941 4 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Wow! I guess I'm flattered?
Honestly, I'm glad people like the mod so much that someone thinks they can get $700 bucks for it. I don't know who Pinbot1960 is. No idea. That being said, I don't mind if people sell them for a profit. Good for you. It means I made something of value.
But "someone" is going to make a small run of witches in the future, as soon as "someone" gets more of these monkeys finished. So don't feel like you have to pay "top dollar" for one. [quoted image]

Can't wait to get my monkeys!
Thanks for the amazing work

1 week later
#1998 3 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

I've been pretty busy at work lately, but I've managed to make another bunch (herd? group? flock?) of monkeys! Also, I really wanted to make a lot at one time, but it took FOREVER. There are just way too many details to focus on at one time. So I'll be making much smaller batches now, because it's easier for me to do it that way.
Up next:
sinnisterjsb
Jvspin
MK6PIN
Metalthrashinmad
ulmpharmd (2)
wvpinball (2)
wyopin
Whitenoise3000
BR80
eharan (2)
redmamanora
KevinG
Ramjet
zutton1 (2)
jar155
arcadenerd925
paynemic (2)
PinBackpacker (2)
danisme
brett
gatordad (2)
msj2222
knobstone
PtownPin
Fizz
I'll be sending you all PM's today.
Thanks!
Steve
[quoted image]

You forgot pinballinreno lol.
Oh well I hope I get in the next batch !

#2003 3 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

I finally saw some of the TWIPY awards on YouTube tonight. I was up against Pinstadium and ColorDMD?!?!?

You deserve all the praise!
Great work.

#2010 3 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Thanks! But I meant every machine. Every single pinball machine ever made would look better with a monkey in it!

Houdini with the bandaged monkey chasing his lost ball!

1 week later
#2085 3 months ago
Quoted from gouveia:

I think you’re missing the point.

People...ya gotta love 'em! (Otherwise you wanna kill 'em) lol

#2098 3 months ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

So...any plans for some new toys for Wonka?

Lets chip in for a machine for him and see what comes of it...

#2104 3 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

LOL. I am unsure what the plastic tube is really supposed to be.

Aquarium, terrarium, who knows what they were thinking...

#2129 87 days ago

Since Steve literally has a barrel of monkeys...?

I imagine the fun is overrated...

2 weeks later
#2159 72 days ago
Quoted from gouveia:

monkey business

Monkey business = newlyweds

I rest my case...

Take your time lol

1 week later
#2178 61 days ago

I don't see how I'd get the glue in there. It's a "ripple" that isn't extending to the end so I don't want to pull it back if I don't have to. I'll investigate and see if it will easily yield.

Remove button and siderail.

Slowly and Carefully peel back the loose area with a thin putty knife.

Mask everything off. Top, bottom, sides, outside. All of it.

3m 77 spray adhesive sprayed lightly.

Wait for it to dry a bit roll the area back down with a brayer.

Clean off excess with naptha

Retape on the siderail

#2180 61 days ago

The issue seemed to be the side rail pushing the radcal down. I tucked it back under and it's flush. If it comes out again I'll do that. Thanks.

Radcals are barely glued on.
They sorta float.
They are designed to be removable and replaced easily.

You did th he right thing, just push it under the siderail and call it good.

If it becomes a problem, a fix it with a lightweight glue like contact cement in a couple places like near the edges.

It's a $400 factory option. They look great.

2 weeks later
#2202 45 days ago

RapidTac what? Looks like that is more of a brand than a product.

Rapid-tac is awesome stuff.

Brand name or not, I heavily recommend it.

I have used dish soap, windex, sparkle etc.

None have produced the results and ease of application that rapid-tac does.

#2206 42 days ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Okay! I'm officially back on my thread. No more talk of dead dogs, Rapid-tac and cyanowhatever.
I apologize for the long hiatus, but I needed to take a break to work on other things. But now I've got lots of parts ready to go, so it's going to be a crazy fun summer painting party here in the garage.
I'm gonna be pretty focused on getting these little guys out to everyone, so don't be bummed if you're at the bottom of the list. I'll also be more active and available here on Pinside if you message me or have a question. So here we go!
Next up:
Boatshoe
JimRad
DesTheopta
GGBGROUP
MammoDoc
iceman44
Digimatt
twenty84
adborto
pinballinreno (2)
I'll PM you when these are ready.[quoted image]

Yay! I made the list lol.

2 weeks later
#2292 27 days ago

Just got my monkey installed!

It's amazing! Really adds to the game.

What was a colored blot on a piece of plastic is now a functioning meaningful part of the game.

It took me 25 mins to install, could have done it in 10. Its super easy. I have an ECLEWOZ with back ally walls.

Tons of room for the monkey and the door spacer.

Did have to put a bend in the wire guide as shown, about 1/16" for the screwhead to clear.

I wedged a big flat blade screwdriver between the door post and the guide to put a little bend in a couple areas.

Or use pliers and a rag as shown in the instructional video. You only have to bend it a little until the door swings freely.

I recommend a brand new high quality #2 screwdriver to remove the door screws, you need it to fit tightly into the screwheads and apply some pressure.

pinballgoddess laughed and smiled, she loves it.

Worth every penny.

#2293 27 days ago

Cant wait for the color changing horse mod that changes as you hit the colored switches. Lol

#2296 27 days ago
Quoted from gouveia:

One more thing regarding installation that I failed to mention in the video. The monkey will be slightly crooked when you get it. It's meant to "clamp" the magnet when you finally screw it down so it fits as tightly as possible. But if you're nervous about screwing it down because you think you might break it, or it happens to be really cold in your basement or wherever, simply hit it with a hair dryer for a few seconds to warm up the plastic and it'll bend a lot easier.[quoted image]

I saw this, and just smashed it onto the magnet bracket firmly until the screw holes lined up.

It was not an issue but worth noting in case it throws off the installer, thanks!

#2302 27 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

As always great tech advice!!
I actually just got Matt's Back Alley castle walls and was curious what to expect. Perfect timing with the info!
Going to attack the castle tomorrow and also fix my winky spring to, and your advice on cold solder on coil.
( above unrelated to Monkey install)

You're welcome!

#2312 25 days ago
Quoted from Gomer1969:

The door was a struggle for me as well. I started to strip the bolt and so stopped. Instead I use some black electrical tape cut into thin strips. Used those strips to build up a thin bump out on the back of the door where it hits the post. It only took about 5 layers. In my opinion you can't even tell the door is slightly open
I hesitate telling you all this because if installed correctly there is no need to jerry rig it but for me the bolt was a real issue.

Brand new high quality #2 screwdriver.

It has to fit snugly into the screwhead.

The screws were only used once. The heads will be good.

If you are stripping the head, you have a garbage screwdriver or you need to press harder, or both.

Junk chinese 99 cent screwdrivers wont do it. Must be a #2

Multi bit screwdrivers are sloppy and crap for this.

I used a craftsman from 20 years ago that looked pretty new.

Press in firmly into the screw heads, very firmly.

Do not slip, take some care.

The bottom screw will be at an angle. Remove the posts there to get a straighter angle on the screwdriver if necessary.

I just pushed the screwdriver in more firmly. Really firmly.

They will crack out easily with the proper tool.

#2359 19 days ago
Quoted from rviguet:

I love the real monkey so much better

Steve, please refrain from installing a real live monkey, cool as the idea sounds...

I have too many pets as it is...

#2362 19 days ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Does anyone else find the picture of a monkey eating fried chicken disturbing?

Gotta be from Thailand, the whole country can be disturbing lol.

#2367 18 days ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Hey Steve - I remember there was a difference from the video of the monkey 27 posts up - his wings were flappier than what is normal?? I can’t wait for mine to arrive and wondering if tweaking is possible for more flappiness - if even noticeable?

The wings flap a lot or a little depending on the motion of the game.

Its always different.

pinballgoddess says it depends on the wind. Flying conditions vary lol.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 279.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside