(Topic ID: 103375)

WOZ Winkie issue (different from other posts)

By zsciaeount

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by toro1966
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG

#1 5 years ago

My WOZECLE is 1 week old and the Winkie drop target is malfunctioning. Was playing fine until a multiball, then I heard a repeat clicking sound, and the target wasn't resetting.

In subsequent games (even after power cycling), I don't hear the drop target make an attempt to reset (no click) UNLESS I'm in Wicked Witch multiball, then it tries for about 20 seconds and stops.

In test mode, the drop will reset without an issue.

Thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

Check the switch at the bottom of the bracket. Likely loose or fallen off. A tab on the back of the drop target pushes the switch arm closed when going down and opens it when going back up.

Easy to check visually, and in Tests - Switches - Matrixed.

Here are two pictures of what it should look like.

LTG : )

IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0437.JPG
#3 5 years ago

I had the same problem on my WoZLE and the switch was so loose it was almost off.

Now, the problem I have is that when I set the set screw so the winkie target is flush with the playfield when down, it quickly loosens and retracts all the way down. The locking nut does not seem to work to stop this. Any ideas Lloyd?

Thanks,
Dave

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

I had the same problem on my WoZLE and the switch was so loose it was almost off.
Now, the problem I have is that when I set the set screw so the winkie target is flush with the playfield when down, it quickly loosens and retracts all the way down. The locking nut does not seem to work to stop this. Any ideas Lloyd?
Thanks,
Dave

I had the same problem with my game when I received it a couple weeks ago. Put some white plumbers tape on the thread of the screw and it will stay where you set it and not cause any mess.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Any ideas Lloyd?

Put a nut between the screw head and bracket. Position the screw where you want it. Then spin the nut up to the bracket and wrench it tight. This will lock things in place.

LTG : )™

#6 5 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. That works great!

1 week later
#7 5 years ago

I just got a free moment to check this. It was the switch. One of the screws is totally MIA. can't find it anywhere in the cab. I assume JJP has replacement screws? What type are these?

#8 5 years ago

I think that most of the games shipped with only 1 screw in the switch for the drop target (mine only had one...).
It seems to be just fine this way and does make for easy adjustment.

I think most of the micro switches use 2/56 screws and some have little metal backplates that are pre drilled and tapped throughout the game. Extra backplates and screws are nice to have if working on games, but you might not need them yet. Lots of the vendors have them.

Mine has 500 plays on it and so far its rock solid.

Just make sure the single screw is snug, but not so tight that is binds or damages the switch housing.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

What type are these?

2/56 by 5/8ths. Two of them secure the switch to the bracket.

They ship with two screws. They don't crank them tight as the switch won't work. Unfortunately some have come loose in shipping.

LTG : )

#10 5 years ago

One option would be to put tiny locknuts on like they did with the trees.

#11 5 years ago

can you use a little blue locktight on a pinball machine?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

can you use a little blue locktight on a pinball machine?

I wouldn't by the plastic switch and plastic guard.

Split ring lock washers would be better.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't by the plastic switch and plastic guard.
Split ring lock washers would be better.

Thank you, was just curious.

#14 5 years ago

I looked all over my cab for the missing 2/56 screw, so far it hasnt appeared!
I guess I will add one to firm it up a bit, but really so far with the single screw its been fine (crossing my fingers) so far.

#15 5 years ago

Check the speaker magnet.

#16 5 years ago

Lloyd, my woz came in a few weeks ago. The two screws that hold the switch were loose so the switch was not working. Fixed that then got that random up down pop up of the target again a few games later. This time it was the two screws that hold the back plate for the coil itself loose. U can almost pull the coil forward and back... So anyone else with winky guard target issues keep those two spots in mind. She's good to go once u tighten them down!!!

Love the game..

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

Mine is missing a screw from the switch as well

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Thanks,
Dave

same issue here, I set it and it backs right down in a couple games. So loose I can easily turn it with my fingers!!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

same issue here, I set it and it backs right down in a couple games. So loose I can easily turn it with my fingers!!

See post 4 and post 5.

2 months later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Check the speaker magnet.

Thanks wolf town for putting that thought in my head. I was missing the height adjustment screw. As soon as I read your post, I said its got to be there, I looked, and there it was.

My switch screws were both very loose too I used some blue lock tite before I read I shouldn't. Although I think it should be fine.

I've had this game out of the box for 1 day, and I've had a laundry list of adjustments to make
Plus these 2 loose screws, missing adjustment screw. Munchkin Land flipper coil stop and both screw fell off. Monkey clearance issue, disconnected DVI cable and more. This is the first NEW machine I've had in my possession. Is this normal with a new machine, or ???
I think jack ran out of lock tite.
Thanks

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

This is the first NEW machine I've had in my possession. Is this normal with a new machine, or ???

Not unusual too have a few issues. Some have none, some have some. Shipping can be tough too.

Still better than when I'd uncrate Williams games. I knew I had a few days ahead of me tweaking and fixing things.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Put a nut between the screw head and bracket. Position the screw where you want it. Then spin the nut up to the bracket and wrench it tight. This will lock things in place.

This seems to be similar with the issue on WPT so JJP is not alone on this issue.

#23 4 years ago

Thanks that's good to know. Luckily I'm familiar with this stuff.

Are scratches here and there on the cabinet common too? Thanks

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

Thanks wolf town for putting that thought in my head. I was missing the height adjustment screw. As soon as I read your post, I said its got to be there, I looked, and there it was.
My switch screws were both very loose too I used some blue lock tite before I read I shouldn't. Although I think it should be fine.
I've had this game out of the box for 1 day, and I've had a laundry list of adjustments to make
Plus these 2 loose screws, missing adjustment screw. Munchkin Land flipper coil stop and both screw fell off. Monkey clearance issue, disconnected DVI cable and more. This is the first NEW machine I've had in my possession. Is this normal with a new machine, or ???
I think jack ran out of lock tite.
Thanks

I really don't want to start a crap storm and I LOVE my WOZ...but...this SHOULD NOT be normal. Things do happen in shipping, but the things like you describe are KNOWN issues and at this stage in the production should have been addressed. Whether it is loc-tite or another solution, they should have been.

I am NOT a JJP basher. I like the company, love the machine, and will likely be in for a Hobbit when it is released, but these kinds of issues where switches fall off etc and screws come out during a two day transit of a new machine to it's owner...should NOT be normal. More QC needs to be implemented in my opinion.

It IS, normal, however, to have to make some minor adjustments - switches, etc when you get a new game. Just my .02

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Saint James, NY
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Blandon, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside