Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WOZ_vs_TZ2.jpg
images-2.jpeg
wozfoamcore.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Epicness.jpg
33wr6hh.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

So what's everyone think?

#2 12 years ago

Well it's getting played. Hard to say, seems like the shots wind up in the bell field a lot.

#3 12 years ago

Looks like it is coming along great with a little tweaking Woz is going to be a great pin!!

#4 12 years ago

Hope they change the cabinet decals....

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Hope they change the cabinet decals....

Yeah- THE WOZ ZONE

#6 12 years ago

the mini playfield on the right hand side looks difficult, while the other one looks a little easier but very fun! game is coming along nicely, these will never be on route, i had better find someone near me who's getting one

#7 12 years ago

I'm diggin' it!

#8 12 years ago

Looking great. Not sure what target to go for with the middle right flipper, but I'm sure they will figure that out.

#9 12 years ago

I think that green flipper is for the witch toy where the bubble wrap is.

#10 12 years ago

It's nice to see they aren't just relying on computer simulations etc to get a feel for the game as it comes together. Nothing replaces actually playing a game to tweak it to perfection.

#11 12 years ago

I have mixed feeling after watching the video. I realize all the toys are not there but the ball seems to go into lala land under the mini-playfields for awhile and to me-that just seems like dead space. Much like when the ball doesnt get to the camera hole in TZ and just rolls way up the under its playfield. Still-good to see the whitewood in action. Edit: I watched several more times and my initial reaction to the "dead space" was unjustified. Didnt see the ball kick up from under the upper left playfield to the rollover area on the first viewing. The balls actually moves out of these areas fairly quickly.

#12 12 years ago

That is playfield is REALLY open. Very interested to see how this game turns out.

#13 12 years ago

Interesting pop bumper placement in the left outlane.

Have never seen that. Has something like that been done before?

#14 12 years ago

Finally found a good spot for WIFI, and only 20 meters from my tent (I'm now in Saint-Martin-Cantalès, France if anyone cares).

Just watched the video and boy does it look good. I'm so happy to tell you all that WOZ #733 will be headed for Alkmaar, the Netherlands! Yes, I am now also on board with all you other Pinsiders who have ordered one!! Ordered it a couple of weeks ago but could no longer keep it a secret

#15 12 years ago

Our fearless leader must have a WOZ!! Congrats for #733 Robin. Have a wonderful holiday.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

only 20 meters from my tent

Talk about going cheap on accommodations Nice to know you joined the WOZ crowd.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Yes, I am now also on board with all you other Pinsiders who have ordered one!! Ordered it a couple of weeks ago but could no longer keep it a secret []

Congratulations !!

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

(I'm now in Saint-Martin-Cantalès, France if anyone cares). []

Do they have any Pins over there? Pictures?

#19 12 years ago

7 Grand... yowch. More production, lower cost!

#20 12 years ago

Is it just me? That music would drive me over the edge!

Probably going to be a great game but if this is the music, it is not for me.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is. And it does. But doesn't it always.

My home machine has speakers disconnected. And when I'm playing elsewhere, I often listen to music using earplugs.

How much I love pinball machines for the music, sound and speech, it gets to me after some time.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

That is playfield is REALLY open

Hope something goes in the middle, or it would be boring to me. I understand the toys aren't there yet. Glad to se it is coming around.

#23 12 years ago

From the preliminary source code I have gotten it's going to be open source so you can change things easily like music etc if you know how to edit and recompile.

I plan on tinkering a ton once I get mine but always keeping a copy of the original code. It's something I hope Stern adopts. Even if you don't have the knowledge people will make custom firmware for purchase to choose from. Another way to "mod" your machine besides LED's and toys.

#24 12 years ago

Hopefully the programmers will give players the option to choose between two or even three music tracks before launching the ball by either pressing the left flipper, right flipper, or both at the same time. This was used in Frankenstein to choose between the original movie soundtrack music or Edgar Winter's rock version.

As for the actual whitewood, the placement of the third flipper looks pretty much perfect, easy shots to the forest and the Witch are possible. I really would've liked to see more drop targets in place of standups, but those would probably cost too much to produce. The return lane flow is great. The upper left playfield seems a bit difficult to actually shoot for the castle, but everything can be tweaked. The upper right one moves much faster than I thought it would, and holding the flipper for the second pass is a nice technique. Imagine getting multiple balls up there! The air balloon jet bumper doesn't seem too usable right now, the ball only seems to bounce once or twice then roll to the drain. I also don't see the white rubber being "springy" enough to bounce the ball all the way over to the targets as well as register a hit. Also, did I see the Crystal Ball actually rotate with the ball when it was kicked out? If so, that's a very cool mechanic. At one point I did see the ball gain a lot of speed near the top rollovers (2:05). The guy flips left, but that's unlikely to have anything to do with it. It's almost as if it was kicked to the side by something, possibly another jet bumper? And as for the upper playfields, it does seem like wasted space underneath, but you have to keep in mind there's something there. Imagine it being a single level, as if that space is already occupied. And finally (ending this huge wall of text), the playfield is indeed very open. This kind of "concerns" me, especially with the complete lack of inserts. There will be inserts, right? It simply wouldn't be a real machine without them. I'm also wondering if there aren't many inserts, will the team shift that focus to the backbox LCD, since it can display many times more information than a conventional DMD (although none of us want it looking cluttered either)? I don't know about you, but I'd rather my center playfield actually have some substance instead of looking like someone just stuck a Vanderstelt painting in the middle and filled the wood in around the edges.

And those are my reactions. Whew!

#25 12 years ago

Direct quote from Jack:

"music is just for background for this video..."

The first track on the video is the "shooter grove" music that was released several months ago. The second track was released a couple of weeks ago.

#26 12 years ago

Where did you get this quote stangbat?

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Where did you get this quote stangbat?

It was in the email release that linked to the video.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Direct quote from Jack:

"music is just for background for this video..."

Beat me to it.I believe they will mix the music and sounds right as they have a great team.

#29 12 years ago

Ah, there it is. I noticed the video was posted by a different person so I assumed it wasn't an e-mail.

#30 12 years ago

The more I see released about it, the more I like. Looks to be a good one.

#31 12 years ago

Obviously I'll need to play the finished product to form an opinion. But I dont think Stern is shaking in their boots just yet.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Obviously I'll need to play the finished product to form an opinion. But I dont think Stern is shaking in their boots just yet.

They may not be shaking in their boots but I bet they have had design team meetings where the guys have been told to start thinking outside the box. Maybe see if they can get new ideas so they stay on top.

#33 12 years ago

I'm not really seeing any new ideas on that whitewood. The LCD screen yes. If I'm missing something please enlighten me.

Now don't get me wrong here. I wish Jack all the luck in the world. I met him and he seems like a good guy to me. I hope both companies can succeed. I applaud Jack for posting things like this, it's refreshing to see a company handling things the way they are.

I can't wait to play the finished product.

#34 12 years ago

Nooo!

All I could think of was "that poor TZ"!

#35 12 years ago

Does the left to right rail ever get any action from the upper playfield? Looks like it always drains through the hole.

#36 12 years ago

This an extremely early stage of a whitewood,I would not ask any real questions about game play yet,it is only meant to show progress and that they are working stuff out,it has been mentioned that the public is seeing less than 5% of what is actual to this game.

#37 12 years ago

I like everything so far, my only concern is the top right flipper, seems like there should be a better shot for that like a scoop in between the witch and that pop bumper similar to STTNG or maybe a curve partial loop so you can loop that shot back to the same flipper.

shooting for pop bumpers is always a dangerous idea - just like the pops in TZ.

no scoops or subways that I can see yet - interesting look forward to playing one

#38 12 years ago

I don't like the prominence of those jets. They look like drain monsters, particularly that exposed right one...

Am I missing something? What's between the witch and the VUK, under the rescue playfield?

Quoted from fusion301:

seems like there should be a better shot for that like a scoop in between the witch and that pop bumper

Where's the left enterance to the orbit? Is it a shot between the jets?

Or above the witch - there's a gap between the witch and the VUK. Could be a scoop, an ultra narrow TZ-lock lane like lane, or an alternate entrance to the orbit. I'd prefer the lane, since with how high up the rescue PF is, they could make things more interesting by putting a bit of an incline on it (it looks like they could get at least 1 ball-height of a ramp in there, more than TZ's lock lane).

#39 12 years ago

that was exactly what I wondered. I hope it's just pre-production background music there. It would almost be like having a Debbie Gibson pinball machine. All bubblegum, all the time.

#40 12 years ago

This is what Jack said in his email...

"music is just for background for this video......"

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

This is what Jack said in his email...

"music is just for background for this video......"

It is very early stages all in all. Jack also says 'Remember, this is just some ball action, not true game play.'

Also I am sure the LED light show will be spectacular.

I think the overall game and package are going to be really superb.

That said, music remains my concern as I just don't like WOZ music....

#42 12 years ago

Re: Music, maybe JJP should consider doing what Sega did on MSF - two main music sound tracks, one that fit the theme better (some dark, slow, creepy song, in the case of MSF) and one that was better pinball music (in the case of MSF, a rendition of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein). I liked that approach - I played a few games with the theme music, and it was great for that, but I generally preferred the pinbally music score.

#43 12 years ago

Oh snap! There actually are jet bumpers under the tornado playfield! Check 1:06. I wonder if they will be capless since you can't really see them.

#44 12 years ago

In the drawing it shows a slingshot device under the tornado playfield (actually munchkinland)

33wr6hh.jpg33wr6hh.jpg

#45 12 years ago

really looking good

#46 12 years ago

Totally didn't see that before. That would be another first then: a third slingshot mechanism, and at the top of the playfield no less! This is going to be freaking...

Epicness.jpgEpicness.jpg

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That would be another first then: a third slingshot mechanism

Spirit has 4 slings. Quite a few games have had 3. Panthera for one. : )

#48 12 years ago

it has been mentioned that the public is seeing less than 5% of what is actual to this game.

Thanks v8 for squashing the pre-judgement-judgement!!!

It's a whitewood...
It's August.

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

We've- "still got a ways to go!"

#49 12 years ago

I bet they enjoy the comments/criticisms... even if they're rolling their eyes and thinking 'yeah, we got that one covered'. Aside from creating excitement I would assume part of the reason for releasing this stuff is to get fan feedback. I think it's really cool of them to give us these sneak peeks.

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Quite a few games have had 3. Panthera for one.

Bride of Pinbot is another, at the bottom of the pop bumpers. I like how it works, pretty neat addition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-whitewood-video/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.