You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

you_are_a_elf.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg
DSC_0078.JPG
MNGDATE.jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Jack left the kitchen sink for the "mod" folks - it's an add-on to the spinning house

#52 10 years ago

What a great game I think!

The mind veers...

Murphy... you are... a... elf. Uncontrollably, I think

you_are_a_elf.jpgyou_are_a_elf.jpg

#53 10 years ago

I've never seen a single shaving of metal anywhere.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I give Jack credit for tossing everything but the kitchen sink in the first game, but he should have listened to the people that have to design and build these things. They all wanted something simpler for the first one.

No issues here with mine and many others don't have any either. The main issue with earlier games is the 5 volt LED boards. Newer games now come with 7 volt boards to prevent the light board issue but JJP is working on a permanent fix for people with games that have the 5 volt boards.

I'm glad that JJP did throw the kitchen sink at WOZ as too many games were getting too simple for higher and higher prices.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Can we keep this thread to what a great game WOZ is? All the haters saw somone liking the game and ran over to this thread to complain and start a flame war.

Read OPs post and title again. He brought up issues now all we are doing is letting everybody know how our game is. Good AND bad. No doubt the game is fun to play but there are a lot of issues too. I'm happy with this thread, at lest it hasn't turned into a Stern versus JJP thread. That's progress

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I give Jack credit for tossing everything but the kitchen sink in the first game, but he should have listened to the people that have to design and build these things. They all wanted something simpler for the first one.

#57 10 years ago

PEN, You won't be sleeping when your game arrives. I'll give you credit for patience though.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No issues here with mine and many others don't have any either. The main issue with earlier games is the 5 volt LED boards. Newer games now come with 7 volt boards to prevent the light board issue but JJP is working on a permanent fix for people with games that have the 5 volt boards.
I'm glad that JJP did throw the kitchen sink at WOZ as too many games were getting too simple for higher and higher prices.

As I understand it the earlier 5 volt boards burn out much easier than the newer 7.5 volt boards but there is still and issue potentially with either set of boards and that is the lights freeze either on or off. Can be a small section like rainbow or most of the playfield. I believe that this is what the "fix" is supposed to take care of. Based on JJP posts I am pretty sure that it is a hardware fix and your old hardware will need to be returned. What exactly this is has not been said.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

As I understand it the earlier 5 volt boards burn out much easier than the newer 7.5 volt boards but there is still and issue potentially with either set of boards and that is the lights freeze either on or off. Can be a small section like rainbow or most of the playfield. I believe that this is what the "fix" is supposed to take care of. Based on JJP posts I am pretty sure that it is a hardware fix and your old hardware will need to be returned. What exactly this is has not been said.

That's the way I understand it as well.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

PEN, You won't be sleeping when your game arrives. I'll give you credit for patience though.

Yep, the end is nigh.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I really wanted to use a yawn emoticon.

Jack could have built a simpler game, but would I have risked my money for over 2 years on such a game? The answer is no. Now where is my eye rolling emoticon?

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between a stable hardware platform and unfinished software. If I were one of the unfortunate customers that had original/old power supplies, light boards, etc., I'd be really unhappy. Having subtle differences in the hardware complicates software development/testing, so while it's great JJP is improving it's hardware, it's really a bummer for the early adopters.

Yes there is. And what do you think will happen when stern releases its new platform - if it ever does. No LCD without it though. How many new platforms of anything come out of the gate completely stable. How many millions do you think someone like Microsoft spends on developing Windows X and yet it is never stable until Windows X SP1. Its just the nature of the beast of developing something new and revolutionary. There will always be challenges. Whats more important is how they deal with the problems when they come up. Thankfully both Stern and JJP have great customer service.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Yes there is. And what do you think will happen when stern releases its new platform - if it ever does. No LCD without it though. How many new platforms of anything come out of the gate completely stable. How many millions do you think someone like Microsoft spends on developing Windows X and yet it is never stable until Windows X SP1. Its just the nature of the beast of developing something new and revolutionary. There will always be challenges. Whats more important is how they deal with the problems when they come up. Thankfully both Stern and JJP have great customer service.

I agree with the sentiment, however neither Stern or JJP are developing revolutionary technologies. In fact, because JJP was pragmatic, they licensed many B/W parts. High resolution LCD's aren't revolutionary…in fact, they're incredibly mainstream. 60" LCD's wholesale for $500. It is possible for companies to stub their toes without being on the bleeding edge…

My point is software and hardware updates should apply to everyone. It's obviously more costly to update hardware, but it's the right thing to do. Just to be clear, JJP might be doing this…I'm not close enough to the issues to know.

Here's an example from Stern's AC/DC. The first run had cloudy windows. Future runs had clear windows. Since most people preferred the clear windows, the first run is not considered as good. This is purely an aesthetic issue, however imagine it was an issue that effected gameplay? Might have gotten more ugly.

Stern customer support is great…no complaints. I don't own a WOZ, but it seems like folks are happy with JJP support as well.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'd like to see a pic of the lower pop ring that is NOT rubbing. Would be interesting to see how it is different.

Sorry, zero, zip, nada…..

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

#65 10 years ago

My thoughts exactly, lol. JJP brought the loaded wide body game back and its pretty sweet. I think if they had come out with a more stripped down game, no LCD, little innovation in other areas that the game would be no where near as popular as it is today.

#66 10 years ago

Well, I will say that WOZ is by far one of my favorites! Even with little minor issues. JJP always fixes the problem when it pops up. It is a machine after all and will break down from time to time. I have a AC/DC that has a mind of it's own. The left flipper that just fires at will. I guess it's trying to help me play better. I was just frustrated when I posted this. Jack has always handled the issues and I like Jack very much, He brought something new to the table none of us did not have. Some new ideas and features. There are some pinball machines that Stern has built that have had major issues...That doesn't mean I want them to stop building them. I hope Hobbit is a great pin as well. Sorry to stir the pot Jack. I should have kept my mouth shut.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree with the sentiment, however neither Stern or JJP are developing revolutionary technologies. In fact, because JJP was pragmatic, they licensed many B/W parts. High resolution LCD's aren't revolutionary…in fact, they're incredibly mainstream. 60" LCD's wholesale for $500. It is possible for companies to stub their toes without being on the bleeding edge…
My point is software and hardware updates should apply to everyone. It's obviously more costly to update hardware, but it's the right thing to do. Just to be clear, JJP might be doing this…I'm not close enough to the issues to know.
Here's an example from Stern's AC/DC. The first run had cloudy windows. Future runs had clear windows. Since most people preferred the clear windows, the first run is not considered as good. This is purely an aesthetic issue, however imagine it was an issue that effected gameplay? Might have gotten more ugly.
Stern customer support is great…no complaints. I don't own a WOZ, but it seems like folks are happy with JJP support as well.

The lcd is not revolutionary itself. But its interface to a pinball is pretty unique. Pinball 2000 was actually probably more revolutionary for its time. Anyway, not sure what other word to use for JJP. Its not the same old same old. Think they realized they needed to up the ante. They used some williams parts but essentially started from the ground up. The game engine is completely new. Not slighting stern though as I know their platform change is on the way.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If the solution is 7 volt boards, why have a work around? The 5 volt boards should be replaced with the 7 volt boards.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If the solution is 7 volt boards, why have a work around? The 5 volt boards should be replaced with the 7 volt boards.

The JJP line is that not all boards need to be replaced and at some point the system will be made
Stable by adding 7v boards where needed. The work around is just to avoid the owner having a brick when a single board goes out.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Well, I will say that WOZ is by far one of my favorites! Even with little minor issues. JJP always fixes the problem when it pops up. It is a machine after all and will break down from time to time. I have a AC/DC that has a mind of it's own. The left flipper that just fires at will. I guess it's trying to help me play better. I was just frustrated when I posted this. Jack has always handled the issues and I like Jack very much, He brought something new to the table none of us did not have. Some new ideas and features. There are some pinball machines that Stern has built that have had major issues...That doesn't mean I want them to stop building them. I hope Hobbit is a great pin as well. Sorry to stir the pot Jack. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Check the gap on the flipper switches on your ACDC.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

What about the chipped or cracked clear coat around the castle VUK or TR hole? The chipped clear coat is a big deal.

Have you asked for a new playfield?

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Have you asked for a new playfield?

I don't own a woz, but i'd like to buy a playfield set and have them clearcoated

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I don't own a woz, but i'd like to buy a playfield set and have them clearcoated

I'm willing to bet you can make that happen.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I'm willing to bet you can make that happen.

I heard Jack was selling seconds and playfields with problems, but i'll be in line when they start selling production playfields.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-what-a-great-game-i-think/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.