Topic poll

“Should An Amateur Buy WOZ Or The Hobbit?”

• WOZ 85 votes
    72%
  • The Hobbit 33 votes
    28%

(118 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1565 (resized).JPG

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

WOZ is better than Hobbit. Hobbit is just a grind. It always feels like your score is purely based on how long you keep the ball in play. Grind grind grind. Whereas WOZ seems to have more ability to pop a score with more strategic play. I think the rules of WOZ are much better. The 31 mode thing of Hobbit sounds like it would be better, but WOZ is better to play.

#52 2 years ago

I own both woz for over 2 years and the hobbit for around 6 months. I think they are both great pins in all aspects. I have had a few light board issues with my woz but frank with jjp support has been great and I have never had a problem getting replacement boards. They are also easy to bypass until a new one comes and easy to change, unless it's under the upper playfield then it's a bit of work. I will say the honeymoon is over with the hobbit for me, and I find the long game times on TH are sometimes a deterrent for me. WOZ never seems to get old I honestly can't ever see it leaving my collection. Good luck with your decision.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

WOZ is better than Hobbit. Hobbit is just a grind. It always feels like your score is purely based on how long you keep the ball in play. Grind grind grind. Whereas WOZ seems to have more ability to pop a score with more strategic play. I think the rules of WOZ are much better. The 31 mode thing of Hobbit sounds like it would be better, but WOZ is better to play.

When I play a game like Hobbit, I play it like LOTR or most story/mode based games - I don't even pay attention to score. I try to advance through the modes and goals and the score is what it is when the game ends.

I probably need to get a WOZ one day to let it soak in and "get it" as I did with all of Keith's other games. I've almost bit a few times but bailed due to thinking about the things I don't like about the game....but I dunno, maybe if one pops up for sale locally I'll give it a whirl.

#54 2 years ago

I vote Hobbit. I've never had a rush from a pin like I get with this game. Initially, I was a much bigger fan of WOZ theme (one of my favorite childhood films), but after playing both, I found that I was trying to like WOZ, but fell in love with Hobbit. Play them both and see how they make you feel. They are both great, but totally different experiences. With Hobbit at 7 degrees I get both long and short games...but the long ones are epic.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

guess someone didn't buy WOZ when it came out.

and you seem like a nice person other than your need to do whatever your doing here......
I guess

IMG_1565 (resized).JPG

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

guess someone didn't buy WOZ when it came out.

I did and havent had any more trouble that any other pin I own.
I have over 5000 plays now and just put in a door motor, but it gets beat to crap and was expected.

JJP support as always is amazing.

In reality i have had more trouble with TZ, IJ, MM and ToM by comparison to tell the truth.

#57 2 years ago

I've owned both... I had 2 WOZLE's that have both left my home, and I currently have TH (SE). WOZ was a great looking pin, I can't comment on the code because it wasn't anywhere near finished when I sold them, but it wasn't a keeper for me. The code at the time wasn't that fun and the music started to drag on me. I love the theme of the hobbit, the music doesn't get annoying, and if the code on WOZ improved that much, I'm sure it will on TH. But there is already so much to shoot for on TH, it's enjoyable as it is. I own several great games and TH probably gets played by neighbors and friends more than the others.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

and you seem like a nice person other than your need to do whatever your doing here......
I guess

we have people in our league still dealing with fixes for the early runs of WOZ. Node problems still not resolved after numerous exchanges, and many other lighting issues happening. Been going on for a long time, and very frustrating for the owners.

#59 2 years ago

Not sure if it's been mentioned how easy TH is, with very long ball times. So far all Jersey Jack games seem to play forever give or take (including WOZ, DI) Females and guests will gravitate for the eye candy but these are not made for tournament play per say. Still fun for a few months though. If you want more competitive, faster ball times look to Stern. Sorry but somebody had to warn OP

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Not sure if it's been mentioned how easy TH is, with very long ball times. So far all Jersey Jack games seem to play forever give or take (including WOZ, DI) Females and guests will gravitate for the eye candy but these are not made for tournament play per say. Still fun for a few months though. If you want more competitive, faster ball times look to Stern. Sorry but somebody had to warn OP

I actually like the longer times on jjp games. Jjp games have sooooo much deeper code, that it's an actual journey throughout the game. I'm sure they're designed to be slightly easier in order to actually have a chance to progress further. It's so nice for a change from the typical Stern's. Ideally a collection will contain a few fast playing Stern's and a few journey style jjp games.

#61 2 years ago

more competitive, faster ball times look to Stern

see, I just call them drain monsters but I always suspected the problem may be my lack of skill.

#62 2 years ago

So far all Jersey Jack games seem to play forever give or take (including WOZ, DI) Females and guests will gravitate for the eye candy but these are not made for tournament play per say

. ...If you want more competitive, faster ball times look to Stern. Sorry but somebody had to warn OP

Yes well "the females" may like JJP more, I can tell you Stern makes some looong playing games.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes well "the females" may like JJP more, I can tell you Stern makes some looong playing games.

ain't that the truth. LOTR, TSPP, Sopranos, Playboy, 24, CSI ect...games are very long running and last forever. TSPP and LOTR are usually excluded from league due to long running times.

#64 2 years ago

I don't see WOZ as having long ball times. Every once in a while a game will be maybe 10-15 mins, but on average, games are 4-6 mins. I have a 7 degree pitch and factory outlanes. Tough game.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ain't that the truth. LOTR, TSPP, Sopranos, Playboy, 24, CSI ect...games are very long running and last forever. TSPP and LOTR are usually excluded from league due to long running times.

Most of those games have the CONTENT to back up their lengthy play. LOTR and TSPP never get boring during a long game, because there's always something new and exciting happening. Most people who buy games for their home aren't playing in leagues. They want the experience of the theme & story under the glass with depth to keep them coming back to discover more stuff. There's a reason I still love LOTR and TSPP to this day...and now, Hobbit! It's always an adventure, and the depth of these games are an amazing testament to what a programmer like Keith can do to make a finite box like pinball seem infinite!

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Most of those games have the CONTENT to back up their lengthy play. LOTR and TSPP never get boring during a long game, because there's always something new and exciting happening. Most people who buy games for their home aren't playing in leagues. They want the experience of the theme & story under the glass with depth to keep them coming back to discover more stuff. There's a reason I still love LOTR and TSPP to this day...and now, Hobbit! It's always an adventure, and the depth of these games are an amazing testament to what a programmer like Keith can do to make a finite box like pinball seem infinite!

I do enjoy a long running game as well. but I wouldn't want all my games to be long running. LOTR type games are for when you are ready to play and go on a journey. It's not the game you turn on, when you have 15 min to kill before you have to leave for the store. Or a game you fire up, when you have friends over that want to play together. It's a great alone game, when you have like an hour to kill and feel like questing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
7,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside