• Latest reply 10 years ago by Indypin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

koolaid.jpg
IMG_5656.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notaflyingtoy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago

The thing that impressed me most about the video was that the flying monkey had to be tinkered with to get it to work. For a machine that JJP knew was a home use game. Sent to an early adopter. Would love an explanation from a JJP person on if that should be viewed as acceptable and why. And save the "hundreds of moving parts" argument, as that's just an excuse for poor quality control.

Twenty years ago when a new machine was set up on location it almost always would need some attention from a tech/operator. News flash: that was twenty years ago.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That was one persons way of fixing a specific issue with a game but it's obviously not the proper way. There haven't been any reports I can see of shimming needed on the monkey mech so who knows. The screws on the back of the playfield holding it in place could have been slightly loose causing a misalignment and instead of finding the root cause the owner put in washers? There's no way to answr that question. And no the game wasn't designed for "home use". It's a commercial product as pinball has always been

Never meant to imply the game was designed for home use. I realize it's a commercial product. What I was saying was that JJP knew the game was not going out on location (no DBA). Did you watch the video? There were some other problems too. So, by you saying, "It's a commercial product as pinball has always been", I should expect JJP products to need a certain amount of adjustment because that's been the status quo in pinball manufacturing? Point taken.

Also, fwiw, I'm giving the owner of the machine the benefit of the doubt as it appears it's not his first time at the rodeo.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

While acknowledging this guy's particular problems, it's important not to generalize. I haven't had any of these problems, nor has anyone else I know with a WOZ.

Agreed. Just that for someone who had literally waited years for the product, seems unacceptable that the headphone board and flying monkey were not working properly, plus the issue with gouge.

I actually really appreciate what JJP is doing and the level of quality they appear to be aspiring to. Rooting for them to exceed expectations.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well.... My game traveled 3000 miles in a truck to get to me and I have only had to make one very minor switch adjustment that took less than a minute, I have had no other issues with the game. My thought is that if someone is unable/uncomfortable Making adjustments to a pinball machine maybe they should stick to video games
Disclaimer: I have had to make small adjustments/tweaks on every NIB machine I've ever owned ... not a big deal to me.

Ha - that video game quip made me laugh. But maybe what you said about having to make adjustments/tweaks is part of a larger point. Design and manufacturing have changed a lot in the past twenty years, but not so much with pinball. We're still ok accepting that NIB pins need to be fiddled with. If that's just the nature of the beast, maybe the beast needs to go on a diet and exercise program.

#120 10 years ago

wowser, never meant to derail this thread by posting my observation about a quality control issue for the specific machine featured in the video. Never implied that the issue with the flying monkey was something other owners had experienced. Riggy agrees that the issue should have been caught. BTW, "Monkeygate", that's pretty funny

It's not new, it's not indicative of anything, it's not interesting.

Sadly true, disagree, depends.

Of course a NIB game is going to need a little adjustment. That's reasonable with any new product where some assembly is required. And minor issues do happen (i.e., the light board issue on some of the WOZes). My "crowing" about the industry's acceptance of too often mediocre QC in design and manufacturing may make me sound like I'm new to pinball. Don't let my Baby Pac-Man avatar or newness to this website fool you, not my first time at the rodeo either.

But the repeating of mantras like "that's the way it always has been" makes those that espouse that paradigm seem new to concepts like progress and excellence, thus my news flash quip.

Back on topic: Enjoyed the video for both the information and enthusiasm

Quoted from Aurich:

Can we just acknowledge that every manufacturer of hugely complicated mechanical devices has minor issues during their runs? JJP is going to have them crop up for every game. Hobbit too. Harry Potter too. Whatever they do. Stern has them on every game. Beloved AC/DC. We'll kindly skip talking about Avengers. Williams, home to memories of the magic playfields that never dimpled with clear coat as thick as your arm, had tweaks needed on every title. Some more than others, so it goes.
It's not new, it's not indicative of anything, it's not interesting.
When you open a NIB game it takes a little tweaking to get it all dialed in right, we all know and talk about this, it's just this dumb "gotcha" game with WOZ that has grown so tiring. When you crow about it you sound like you're new to pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notaflyingtoy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-very-impressive-review-from-johns-arcade?tu=notaflyingtoy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.