• Latest reply 10 years ago by Indypin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

koolaid.jpg
IMG_5656.jpg
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

The GI is way too dim, no question about it. It appears the light kit will fix it. In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, but looks like it'll need to be fixed by the owners.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It's certainly your perogative/opinion if you need or expect super bright lighting to enjoy your game. But I think the full team at JJP are more than qualified to form a cumulative opinion of what they deem optimal for their game ... and looking at my game, it's beautiful. You have to dig deep to complain about something (beyond the theme if it doesn't suit you.)

The low GI level has been mentioned several times / threads from players and owners alike.
It's nothing new or personal, it is what it is. It's dim....

JJP has tried to address it thru software but getting the GI to what many would like to see might not be possible with the existing hardware. I am sure if they had a "re-do" they would do something differently to have more headroom.

#103 10 years ago

People make mods and tweaks to all pins to tailor them to their liking. WOZ is no different. I've actually started playing it again since the 1.21 update and the things such as call outs/music and brightness of inserts don't bother me much anymore and the game is a lot more enjoyable than the 1.14 code I last played on. They still need to do something about the upper right playfield flipper hold (as in don't allow it) to make the loop more challenging.

#104 10 years ago

Was at Johns for a party one time. Good dude and I like his reviews and thumb accessories.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

The low GI level has been mentioned several times / threads from players and owners alike.
It's nothing new or personal, it is what it is.

So have a hundred other complaints. The LCD is too big, the theme sucks, the pricing plan is BS, it's taking too long to ship, the witch is weak, the code isn't complete as "promised", and yada yada yada. Haters hate and people who just enjoy the game in front of them are thrilled. If you want to mod or enhance your game, go for it. It's part of the fun of pinball and not something to rate a game overall.
Those who have seen my own posts know I have more than a few complaints about the latest ST release (which I just don't enjoy ... and the blinding lighting is the tip of the iceberg). But that's just my 2 cents. Others seem to be happy with the game.

#106 10 years ago

A trouble ticket was opened for this issue?

LTG assisted with a resolution?

This problem was documented on the WOZ owners forum?

Toys are being rigged with washers & the owner rightfully question QC?

A thread on Pinside confirms all of this?

Don't ship out a new monkey or anything, just deny & blame!

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

People make mods and tweaks to all pins to tailor them to their liking. WOZ is no different. I've actually started playing it again since the 1.21 update and the things such as call outs/music and brightness of inserts don't bother me much anymore and the game is a lot more enjoyable than the 1.14 code I last played on. They still need to do something about the upper right playfield flipper hold (as in don't allow it) to make the loop more challenging.

Agree on that upper flipper hold. Would make it way more challenging.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

So have a hundred other complaints. The LCD is too big, the theme sucks, the pricing plan is BS, it's taking too long to ship, the witch is weak, the code isn't complete as "promised", and yada yada yada. Haters hate and people who just enjoy the game in front of them are thrilled. If you want to mod or enhance your game, go for it. It's part of the fun of pinball and not something to rate a game overall.
Those who have seen my own posts know I have more than a few complaints about the latest ST release (which I just don't enjoy). Just my 2 cents.

Modding something to your liking is perfectly fine.
Modding something to correct a factory problem / oversight is entirely different.

Its easily corrected for a little more loot in the aftermarket.
How they (JJP) handles the next game with what they learned on this one will be more interesting.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No toys being rigged with washers on my game... It came 3000 miles in a rough riding truck and was as close to perfect as I could of hoped

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Look at Sterns service bulletins online and several tech "fixes" are listed. WPT as an example lists adding a washer to the drop targets IF they fail to reset. Not sure if it was omitted at the factory or a field expedited fix.
Its public, documented and a factory suggested action published.

Does JJP have a service bulletin library or section to access known game problems?
One rep says "no ticket / no problem".

Do you have to be a member of the WOZ forum to view service bulletins if they exist ?

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

One rep says "no ticket / no problem". Do you have to be a member of the WOZ forum to view service bulletins if they exist ?

These aren't the droids your looking for

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Before this turns into Monkeygate, let me clarify some things:

Game was unboxed last Saturday. It was noticed rather quickly that the single castle door wasn't functioning properly. After inspecting it, I discovered that the winged monkey plastic was pressing hard against the door mech, not allowing it to open. I started a thread on the WOZ group asking for someone to take some pics of the monkey in the "home" position, behind the door. I also called JJP suport.

Lloyd called me back within minutes. He suggested adjusting the "home" switch to stop the monkey from hitting the door mech. I adjusted the switch, but the monkey mech wouldn't make it far enough over the upper playfield, so the ball would drop down to the lower. I took a quick look at the way the entire track mech was mounted to see if I could adjust it, and it didn't appear so.

I realized the easiest solution was to just raise the monkey plastic slightly, so it could clear the single door mech. I used some washers as spacers between the monkey plastic and bracket it is mounted to, and adjusted the switch accordingly. The monkey mech now works 100%. The plastic is secured by two 1/4" screws, and I plan on getting 1/2" screws and using two small post rubbers to space it up a tad bit more (along with readjusting the "home" switch) so the monkey can travel a little further behind the door than it can at the moment.

Is the "right" way to fix this just to remount the entire bracket? Perhaps, but it would have to be remounted just a hair higher, and then I'm making holes literally RIGHT next to the existing holes. I don't want to have to do that.

I'm not upset with JJP at all. Do I think that this issue should have been caught before the game went out? Yes, probably. The door couldn't open at ALL. It would just twitch slightly. I didn't want to have to "mod" the mech to make it functional, but it was the lesser of two evils for me. I've had a few other minor issues with the game, which were mentioned in the video. All are being addressed.

I'm still very happy with my game. I still plan on getting Hobbit. I still love pinball.

Keep Calm and Keep Flipping.

#113 10 years ago

Can we just acknowledge that every manufacturer of hugely complicated mechanical devices has minor issues during their runs? JJP is going to have them crop up for every game. Hobbit too. Harry Potter too. Whatever they do. Stern has them on every game. Beloved AC/DC. We'll kindly skip talking about Avengers. Williams, home to memories of the magic playfields that never dimpled with clear coat as thick as your arm, had tweaks needed on every title. Some more than others, so it goes.

It's not new, it's not indicative of anything, it's not interesting.

When you open a NIB game it takes a little tweaking to get it all dialed in right, we all know and talk about this, it's just this dumb "gotcha" game with WOZ that has grown so tiring. When you crow about it you sound like you're new to pinball.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When you open a NIB game it takes a little tweaking to get it all dialed in right, we all know and talk about this, it's just this dumb "gotcha" game with WOZ that has grown so tiring.

+1

#115 10 years ago

I played a friends WOZLE and absolutely loved the game, when it played. I should say that his WOZ was one of the first shipped, and I have not played it since the newer codes; however, the game was absolutely beautiful and fun to play. I will definitely add it to the collection, but I recently purchased MB, and set my sights on AFM as my next purchase. Great game though.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can we just acknowledge that every manufacturer of hugely complicated mechanical devices has minor issues during their runs? JJP is going to have them crop up for every game. Hobbit too. Harry Potter too. Whatever they do. Stern has them on every game. Beloved AC/DC. We'll kindly skip talking about Avengers. Williams, home to memories of the magic playfields that never dimpled with clear coat as thick as your arm, had tweaks needed on every title. Some more than others, so it goes.
When you open a NIB game it takes a little tweaking to get it all dialed in right, we all know and talk about this, it's just this dumb "gotcha" game with WOZ that has grown so tiring. When you crow about it you sound like you're new to pinball.

Stipulated as to fact, now and in the future!.......

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed

The only difference I can see between the manufacturers is Stern doesn't have employees on Pinside denying documented issues or blaming customers

What man makes certainly breaks!

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

You can say it again and again .. but do you own one? Apparently not. You don't need a game burning your retinas out to say "Phew, it's bright enough". I have my WOZLE now and the lighting is fantastic (admitedly I don't play it in pitch-black darkness.) If you need it super bright, flashing in your eyes then sure, there is a lighting kit upgrade. But GI lighting is the last thing I'm thinking about when I look at this incredibly well-built and FUN game.
Note: I also think the lighting on my AC/DC is GREAT too ... but the new Star Trek lighting is almost blinding (I guess so you don't notice that it's missing a LOT of everything else.)

I gotta disagree re WOZ GI. I'm *not* a fan of huge bright LEDs (especially flickering retrofits). And I have 2 sets of dimmable lights in my gameroom (wall sconces and overhead track) that I keep medium-dim when playing. And with moderate room lighting, I have to say that the WOZ GI and general playfield lighting is simply too dim. You can't see the ball very well around the flippers, and the artwork does not stand out at all. (I bought a spare WOZ pf and am very familiar with the nice artwork!) So, I too ordered a WOZ lighting kit--it makes sense to add a light strip below the flippers and spots for the central pf.

Part of the issue with WOZ, I believe, is that the inserts are so bright that the rest of the pf looks dark by contrast. The inserts do NOT illuminate the general pf; they just send light to your eyes directly. I set my inserts to 'cool' (a bit dimmer than regular, but not much) and it didn't change the pf darkness. If you could dim the insert brightness further, it might make the rest of the pf easier to see. I don't see how the GI alone can be cranked up to light the pf sufficiently, without reducing the brightness of the insert lights.

***Hopefully we'll see more control/dimmability of the inserts in a future software update! (Keefer?)

FWIW, my monkey mech works fine.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed
The only difference I can see between the manufacturers is Stern doesn't have employees on Pinside denying documented issues or blaming customers

Denile.....not just a river in Egypt.

Some people are just hypersensitive to anything deemed negative about WOZ / JJP.
Some comments are a dig while others are constructive criticism that is treated the same.

#120 10 years ago

wowser, never meant to derail this thread by posting my observation about a quality control issue for the specific machine featured in the video. Never implied that the issue with the flying monkey was something other owners had experienced. Riggy agrees that the issue should have been caught. BTW, "Monkeygate", that's pretty funny

Sadly true, disagree, depends.

Of course a NIB game is going to need a little adjustment. That's reasonable with any new product where some assembly is required. And minor issues do happen (i.e., the light board issue on some of the WOZes). My "crowing" about the industry's acceptance of too often mediocre QC in design and manufacturing may make me sound like I'm new to pinball. Don't let my Baby Pac-Man avatar or newness to this website fool you, not my first time at the rodeo either.

But the repeating of mantras like "that's the way it always has been" makes those that espouse that paradigm seem new to concepts like progress and excellence, thus my news flash quip.

Back on topic: Enjoyed the video for both the information and enthusiasm

Quoted from Aurich:

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed

This statement really irks me. JJP's customer service and tech support have been second to none for me. Whenever I've had a problem or question, they've given 100% to make sure I'm a happy customer. It's one HUGE reason I'm preordering a Hobbit - I'm not even really into the theme (Muppets, anyone?), but I know they stand by their product. They've never accused me of mishandling their product and causing the damage or problem. As a former owner of WOZ, you should at least know that!

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed
blockquote>

Stern's business model is to let the customers do that for them.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed

Yea Stern just deletes your post if you mention anything even remotely negative (qc/code updates ect) on all sites they they moderate.

#124 10 years ago

I have to say that JJP's customer service has been superb. In fact, I can't think of any company I've dealt with for a major purchase that comes close to being as responsive. Inevitably, there are some problems here or there, but I have been extremely impressed in all my dealings with them.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yea Stern just deletes your post if you mention anything even remotely negative (qc/code updates ect) on all sites they they moderate.

And then bans you from commenting again.

#126 10 years ago

Check out the stone throwers .

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Who is this directed at? Out for your Tuesday troll?

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Translation "check me out"

#129 10 years ago

Weird

Sounds a lot like JJP deleting my questions on the WOZ forum

Quoted from beelzeboob:

This statement really irks me. JJP's customer service and tech support have been second to none for me. Whenever I've had a problem or question, they've given 100% to make sure I'm a happy customer. It's one HUGE reason I'm preordering a Hobbit - I'm not even really into the theme (Muppets, anyone?), but I know they stand by their product. They've never accused me of mishandling their product and causing the damage or problem. As a former owner of WOZ, you should at least know that!

I don't follow you

Read the thread again sassy pants (edit: this is me joking)

Quoted from DCFAN:

Stern's business model is to let the customers do that for them.

Ain't that the truth

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Who is this directed at? Out for your Tuesday troll?

Lol... You two crack me up

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from policano:

John's Arcade is one of the best YouTube channels I watch. Goes into detail and I get to see great games! I love his new podcast too!

You love WOZ too, don't you....

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It's certainly your perogative/opinion if you need or expect super bright lighting to enjoy your game. But I think the full team at JJP are more than qualified to form a cumulative opinion of what they deem optimal for their game ... and looking at my game, it's beautiful.

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify something that was done wrong by saying "they built it, so they know best". Total cop out.

The lighting on WOZ has the potential to be amazing. It sure isn't there now though. The insert lighting is currently way too bright, especially when you contrast it with how dim the GI lighting is. Overly bright inserts combined with very dim GI does not a "beautiful" lit game make in my opinion.

#132 10 years ago

Just like JJP.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from ashburton:

I still can't imagine the look on my wife's face if I were to drop several grand on a pin with "ruby red flippers" as a grown man. Different strokes for different folks rule the world, though.

Well, the look on my wife's face was one of excitement! She was after me every two or three days to call and check on the delivery date. She wanted it more than me!

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Weird
Sounds a lot like JJP deleting my questions on the WOZ forum

PW79 I don't like legit questions being censored so if that happed to you it's not cool in my book!

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify something that was done wrong by saying "they built it, so they know best". Total cop out.
The lighting on WOZ has the potential to be amazing. It sure isn't there now though. The insert lighting is currently way too bright, especially when you contrast it with how dim the GI lighting is. Overly bright inserts combined with very dim GI does not a "beautiful" lit game make in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of people are very impressed by the lighting on WOZ. Personally I think the RGB lighting on WOZ is incredible. Just listen to the comments in the video about how impressed they are by it. Good stuff.

#136 10 years ago

Wow, this thread has turned into a disappointment. Some of this crap could have been cut and pasted from a thread 6 months ago, and it would look just like this. I really won't ever understand why some of you even bother opening WOZ threads. The arguments you make are so hollow, and yet over and over again you make the same statements like it is the first time you are saying them. I'm not calling you out by name, but you might want to talk to a therapist about your inability to move on from things.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thankfully nearly everyone that has played it has said they are extremely impressed by the lighting. The RGB lighting on WOZ is incredible. Just listen to the comments in the video about how impressed they are by it. Good stuff.

You really have a tendency to constantly say things like "nearly everyone who (has, plays, operates, reviews) WOZ says____" and usually when you say it you are missing the point that was being made.

Like I said, I love the RGB insert lighting on WOZ overall, but the insert lighting is simply too bright, especially when compared with the dim GI lighting.

Your response above doesn't really address what I said, did it?

And to tell me to "just listen to the comments in the video about how impressed they are by it" is simply laughable. I don't care if they like it or don't like it, that isn't the point of what I was saying at all.

Try to dampen your WOZ fanboy image a bit by accepting some criticism of the pin once in awhile without feeling the need to defend it on every single little issue.

#138 10 years ago

I don't want to go way off track here, but I wonder what percentage of people actually play their pins in the dark. I never did even before WOZ. There is no way that I could track the ball on any of my other pins as well in the dark. I get that the light show is more impressive, but I have always found it less satisfying to play in the dark. I wonder if that is unusual.

#139 10 years ago

I don't like to play in total darkness, I prefer dim lighting.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I wonder what percentage of people actually play their pins in the dark.

I don't play in the dark because I can't see the ball,unless I am playing my Back in Black then it does not matter if the lights or on or not . I guess new tech pins are bright enough to play without wasting more energy from overhead lighting .

#141 10 years ago

Very nice video. My favorite part was when the player was trying to hit the ramp, the video guy says "shit don't drain dude". Also there was a nice shout out to Lloyd. Doesn't surprise me though Lloyd has always been quick to help people.

#142 10 years ago

I turn lights on when I watch tv, when I go out to diner they normally have lights turned on. Do I need to bring my own flash light if i ever visit some of these peoples vampire caves....

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like I said, I love the RGB insert lighting on WOZ overall, but the insert lighting is simply too bright, especially when compared with the dim GI lighting.

Alex, is there any chance of fixing this issue? RobT makes a good point. We all "mostly" agree that the GI is lacking and with the inserts so bright, why not turn them down so they don't overkill the games whole lighting effect?

#144 10 years ago

Even with the inserts as bright as they are, in a well lit room, (indirect daylight, no overhead bulbs), the playfield isn't bright enough. You're missing out on the colours and detail that's on the playfield. Nothing to do with turning the inserts down or contrast.
It's a $100 give or take for the kit. I could spend more than that on a Spider-Man LED figure mod alone.
Buy the kit, install it, and move on already.

And I have to agree with a previous post about JJP service:
I called Alex at home last Saturday night. With a young child in the background, clearly wanting attention, Alex made time to welcome me to the WOZ family. He then helped me tweak my game settings, and called back about an hour later to see how things were going.
I called Jack a couple days later and low and behold, he answered the phone!

The service from JJP has been truly excellent.

The game is really growing on me now that I have a better understanding of the rules. Can't wait for the new code.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Alex, is there any chance of fixing this issue? RobT makes a good point. We all "mostly" agree that the GI is lacking and with the inserts so bright, why not turn them down so they don't overkill the games whole lighting effect?

Have you got your WOZ yet Pappy?

#146 10 years ago

Some people would be happy wearing WOZ underwear with skid marks on both sides.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Hey! I'd wear those! (But I bet the GI on those would be too dim as well. Anyone got lighting mods for skid-marked underwear???)

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Hard to believe any pinball fan would actually want LESS pinball makers in the world. I'm still amazed anybody else would step in to make machines in such a small market.

What's wrong with you people? Seriously.

#149 10 years ago

What's the thread about? Sad, really sad, where are the opinion cops?

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Even with the inserts as bright as they are, in a well lit room, (indirect daylight, no overhead bulbs), the playfield isn't bright enough. You're missing out on the colours and detail that's on the playfield. Nothing to do with turning the inserts down or contrast.
It's a $100 give or take for the kit. I could spend more than that on a Spider-Man LED figure mod alone.
Buy the kit, install it, and move on already.
And I have to agree with a previous post about JJP service:
I called Alex at home last Saturday night. With a young child in the background, clearly wanting attention, Alex made time to welcome me to the WOZ family. He then helped me tweak my game settings, and called back about an hour later to see how things were going.
I called Jack a couple days later and low and behold, he answered the phone!
The service from JJP has been truly excellent.
The game is really growing on me now that I have a better understanding of the rules. Can't wait for the new code.

Wow, very impressive. Now that's amazing customer service!

I'm thinking we may see new code sometime between tomorrow and the end of the Expo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-very-impressive-review-from-johns-arcade/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.