• Latest reply 10 years ago by Indypin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

koolaid.jpg
IMG_5656.jpg
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Check it out guys! John's Arcade just did a review of The Wizard of Oz pinball machine and to say that the guys are impressed is an understatement. As far as pinball YouTube reviews go Johns Arcade's video's seem to get a lot of views and as a reviewer John can be fairly balanced with his reviews and will point out good points and bad for machines.

This is only more good news for WOZ and JJP to get another stellar review like this. JJP has indeed hit it out of the park with WOZ and I think we have a lot to look forward to with their future games as well. Not trying to start an argument here as I like Stern games and bought a NIB ACDC Premium this year but I have to agree with John's YouTube comment below regarding the value JJP brings to their games and the quality / features of WOZ.

"However, it's clear to me that Jersey Jack is offering waaaaaay more quality and game for the same amount of money or less. $7,000 for a super modern well built and loaded JJP game VS. and $8000 Stern LE. There is NO comparison. JJP wins hands down."

#2 10 years ago

Nice review and the owner sounds happy.

(I would take the AC/DC over the WOZ)
YMMV.

#3 10 years ago

"John's Arcade" is just a dude with a camera. I enjoy WOZ as well but you're acting like this is some prestigious stamp of approval with some massive clout or something.

#4 10 years ago

It looks nice, but quite slow. The video helped me make up my mind and turn towards AC/DC Premium.

#5 10 years ago

John's Arcade is one of the best YouTube channels I watch. Goes into detail and I get to see great games! I love his new podcast too!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

It looks nice, but quite slow. The video helped me make up my mind and turn towards AC/DC Premium.

You made your mind up based on a video? Play it first. Woz is far from slow. Especially setup aggressively and not factory defaults.

#7 10 years ago

I still can't imagine the look on my wife's face if I were to drop several grand on a pin with "ruby red flippers" as a grown man. Different strokes for different folks rule the world, though.

#8 10 years ago

alex,
you know a release date for the next code has been programmed?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You made your mind up based on a video? Play it first. Woz is far from slow. Especially setup aggressively and not factory defaults.

It sure would be nice to get a chance to try to WOZ, but so far I have been unable to do so.

#10 10 years ago

Hmm. Not sure of any going to Finland. I'll check though for you.

#11 10 years ago

Certainly mirrors my own experience. A great new day for pinball.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

"John's Arcade" is just a dude with a camera. I enjoy WOZ as well but you're acting like this is some prestigious stamp of approval with some massive clout or something.

True, so we should take your word over his? You are just some guy posting on the net.

His voice is no less or no more than any other voice. He does a great job at stating his point.

#13 10 years ago

I think the LED's in the Wizard of Oz look light years above the ones in the AC/DC next to it. The AC/DC just seems to be blinking haphazardly where WOZ seems much more controlled.

Nice game play video with some good information.

He seems very excited.

Chris

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ashburton:

I still can't imagine the look on my wife's face if I were to drop several grand on a pin with "ruby red flippers" as a grown man. Different strokes for different folks rule the world, though.

Easier to explain to the wife than a game with a simulated electric chair execution on the playfield.....

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

(I would take the AC/DC over the WOZ)

Yes, any one looking for a fast, fun pin would agree...

#16 10 years ago

"I still can't imagine the look on my wife's face if I were to drop several grand on a pin with "ruby red flippers" as a grown man."

Not sure which one of you that says more about..lol..

Anyways... "John's Arcade" has been around a long time.... he posts on KLOV quite a bit. Personally, I refuse to post on KLOV anymore because their moderation ratio from Pinside to KLOV is about as much of an increase from RGP to Pinside. It's ludicrous. You can't even fart over there without getting a warning unless you're one of the Old Guard.

#17 10 years ago

Its just a beautifull machine, no doubt about that. And the gamepay starts to grow on me (only seen videos) since last update, and now i am very interested to see what they do: all out and keep on refreshing things, or is this done in a few months. I hope it just goes on and on for years.

If they do, i might start a saveplan to once in my life spend thousands of euros for a toy. Cause, you only live once, and when you love pinball, then why not. But it will be a hard few years of saving, lol.

Anyway, this game is fantastic, the only thing i dont like is the theme. But at the time i got my saved money together, there will be a JJP pinball with a theme i do like.

The Hobbit can be it.

Just a fantastic product, and at this point of time, there is no way i would buy a stern machine. Not because they are not fun, but come on.... this is next gen pinball for me. And there is were my money would go.

Nice review, i liked it.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yes, any one looking for a fast, fun pin would agree...

I own an ACDC Premium. Amazing game and like you said lots of fun...but I need more then left ramp / left ramp flow in my collection. Give me multiple toys, a wide body playfield, unique shots, LCD with animations, multiple magnets, 5 flippers, RGB LED lighting, stereo sound and top it off with a deep quest based ruleset. That's just as fun for me and many others

#19 10 years ago

I couldnt imagine the look on my wifes face if I spent several dollars on a pair of real ruby red slippers. Ones on a pin are cool though!

#20 10 years ago

I have the acdc right next to my WOZ. they both are great, acdc is blinding fast, while WOZ is playing a true work of art , with an amazing game design, that can be fast and furious , especially during 3 or 4 multi balls.. its extremely challenging to accomplish the upper playfields on the right and/or left playfields , while also maintaining ball control on the remaining balls during multi ball

#21 10 years ago

I'll say this again...

WHERE IS THE FREAKING GI?

Seriously...how could they forget? It looks like the darkest game ever made. Do you have to play it with a light above it to even see the ball?

Super...super legit game, but how could they forget some "working" GI?

Am I wrong?

#22 10 years ago

I played the WOZ at the York show yesterday for 20-30 minutes - I left thinking that this is the best pinball machine made. I also think it is the biggest advance in pinball since PIN2000.

#23 10 years ago

I played my WOZ last night for the first time in a while. To be honest, I hadn't paid very close attention to the most recent software update. The game is really starting to gel. With each release, new things are added, and everything becomes a bit more polished. It's going to be a phenomenal game when it's done!

#24 10 years ago

....relax on the GI lighting ............geeze , here we go again ...........pinballbulbs .com sells an additional lighting for 120 bucks that comes with apron and back playfield led light strips as well as multiple spot lights on posts, 2 double spots on hex posts to be precise.............the game is off the hook, its ok , you can admit it

#25 10 years ago

The JJP bash boys are running out of material as this one grows into a great pin with the code updates......

It will be sitting right next to my Ac/dc premium next week......

#26 10 years ago

Next week huh, good luck with that ..

#27 10 years ago

I enjoyed the video. I think WOZ is shaping up to look awesome, I'm very impressed with it. It was late, it's slow, blah blah, I don't care, since I won't own it, just get to enjoy it as some cool pinball technology and design. I just can't get past the music, that Yellow Brick Road theme would just drive me up the wall. I don't even mind the theme, it's purely the sound that really does me in. There's no getting away from that.

The Hobbit though might be something I'm really tempted by, hoping it gets the same level of attention, plus the benefit of all the learning experiences WOZ generated.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I enjoyed the video. I think WOZ is shaping up to look awesome, I'm very impressed with it. It was late, it's slow, blah blah, I don't care, since I won't own it, just get to enjoy it as some cool pinball technology and design. I just can't get past the music, that Yellow Brick Road theme would just drive me up the wall. I don't even mind the theme, it's purely the sound that really does me in. There's no getting away from that.
The Hobbit though might be something I'm really tempted by, hoping it gets the same level of attention, plus the benefit of all the learning experiences WOZ generated.

I thought the same thing about the sound and music, but after over 100 plays on mine since I received it I can honestly say I don't mind the music at all. I actually really like some of the call outs and sounds (slings ect)

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I actually really like some of the call outs

"SHOOT THE SPHERE WITH SPEED",is now my favorite after hearing it 500 times a game .

#30 10 years ago

I thought the same thing about the sound and music, but after over 100 plays on mine since I received it I can honestly say I don't mind the music at all. I actually really like some of the call outs and sounds (slings ect)

Agree. There's actually a lot more music now in the game compared to a year ago when all we heard was the main theme. There's different music for Rescue MB, TNPLH, TOTO, Emerald City MB, the crystal ball modes, Fireball Frenzy, and munchkin modes. There's likely other music to come with the wizard mode Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Battle The Wicked Witch.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Next week huh, good luck with that ..

Whats one more week after 100 or so....

( The guy in the video waited 32 months / 128 weeks)

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

I'll say this again...

WHERE IS THE FREAKING GI?

Seriously...how could they forget? It looks like the darkest game ever made. Do you have to play it with a light above it to even see the ball?

Super...super legit game, but how could they forget some "working" GI?

Am I wrong?

I agree that the GI is dim, but I have no problems playing mine with no room lights on.

Edit: As to the "darkest game ever made" thing, there are much worse out there. TAF and Mephisto have got to be way up there in regards to poor GI. Those two are definitely ones that I need an overhead light for....

#33 10 years ago

I also played woz at York. What really like about the game is the ball save feature of save toto or shoot for rainbow. It makes the traditional ball save require some skill.
What I still don't care for is the center 2 ramps are basically the same shot up the middle. I also didn't like the pop bumpers as you couldn't see or feel them. You just hear the audio and we were like is this a virtual pop bumper cluster? I thought the mini pfs are a waste and don't do much but I liked the spinning house effect. The flying monkey jammed in the back could have been done better I thought.
Overall I thought the game was pretty good. It wasn't slow because they jack the legs to the max in the back.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

What really like about the game is the ball save feature of save toto or shoot for rainbow. It makes the traditional ball save require some skill.

Just like NBA Fastbreak, both out lanes have the same feature .

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Just like NBA Fastbreak, both out lanes have the same feature .

That game doesn't have a similar outane feature like WOZ in terms of actual ball interaction. There's just the typical rollover switch...There's nothing that moves, requires nudging or something that interacts with the ball. WOZ's left outlane has a pop bumper and several targets and the right outlane has several rollover targets. That's never been done before in pinball.

#36 10 years ago

I actually tilted trying to get the rainbow ball save feature from the balloon

#37 10 years ago

I could listen to AC/DC's music all day long. Could only handle..."Weeeeeeee're......off to see the wizard" so many times before wanting to trade it. To each their own.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

I also played woz at York. What really like about the game is the ball save feature of save toto or shoot for rainbow. It makes the traditional ball save require some skill.

Yes, the ball save features are pretty cool, however, the rainbow one is a major PITA to complete. I came close today...I spelled RAINBOW, shot the wizard and the crystal ball, hit the right orbit, but just as I was trying to hit the ramp, the ball drained. Someday I'll get it!

#39 10 years ago

Ah, but if you can actually make the shots and save your ball, it's probably worth the tilt to attempt to light the ball save. That ball save won me a tournament on Labor Day...seriously. Saved the ball twice in one game off the left side drain.....and the RAINBOW lights weren't working to boot so you had no clue which letters you still needed. All you could do was shoot letters over and over again until you got them all.

#40 10 years ago

Well I guess I'll just say this, no way I'm even thinking about an LE. But I am looking forward to playing it with real code (I've only had a couple insta-drain balls on an early prototype) and seeing how I feel about it. If in person I fell in love then I'd just look at what a standard would take. But Hobbit is a theme that in theory I'm much more interested in.

Can anyone tell me out of curiosity what the street price on the standard WOZ cabs looks like?

#41 10 years ago

The thing that impressed me most about the video was that the flying monkey had to be tinkered with to get it to work. For a machine that JJP knew was a home use game. Sent to an early adopter. Would love an explanation from a JJP person on if that should be viewed as acceptable and why. And save the "hundreds of moving parts" argument, as that's just an excuse for poor quality control.

Twenty years ago when a new machine was set up on location it almost always would need some attention from a tech/operator. News flash: that was twenty years ago.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I also think it is the biggest advance in pinball since PIN2000.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

The thing that impressed me most about the video was that the flying monkey had to be tinkered with to get it to work. For a machine that JJP knew was a home use game. Sent to an early adopter. Would love an explanation from a JJP person on if that should be viewed as acceptable and why. And save the "hundreds of moving parts" argument, as that's just an excuse for poor quality control.
Twenty years ago when a new machine was set up on location it almost always would need some attention from a tech/operator. News flash: that was twenty years ago.

That was one persons way of fixing a specific issue with a game but it's obviously not the proper way. There haven't been any reports I can see of shimming needed on the monkey mech so who knows. The screws on the back of the playfield holding it in place could have been slightly loose causing a misalignment and instead of finding the root cause the owner put in washers? There's no way to answr that question. And no the game wasn't designed for "home use". It's a commercial product as pinball has always been

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That was one persons way of fixing a specific issue with a game but it's obviously not the proper way. There haven't been any reports I can see of shimming needed on the monkey mech so who knows. The screws on the back of the playfield holding it in place could have been slightly loose causing a misalignment and instead of finding the root cause the owner put in washers? There's no way to answr that question. And no the game wasn't designed for "home use". It's a commercial product as pinball has always been

Never meant to imply the game was designed for home use. I realize it's a commercial product. What I was saying was that JJP knew the game was not going out on location (no DBA). Did you watch the video? There were some other problems too. So, by you saying, "It's a commercial product as pinball has always been", I should expect JJP products to need a certain amount of adjustment because that's been the status quo in pinball manufacturing? Point taken.

Also, fwiw, I'm giving the owner of the machine the benefit of the doubt as it appears it's not his first time at the rodeo.

#45 10 years ago

While acknowledging this guy's particular problems, it's important not to generalize. I haven't had any of these problems, nor has anyone else I know with a WOZ.

#46 10 years ago

His reviews are so annnoying. He's like an excited toddler.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Well.... My game traveled 3000 miles in a truck to get to me and I have only had to make one very minor switch adjustment that took less than a minute, I have had no other issues with the game. My thought is that if someone is unable/uncomfortable Making adjustments to a pinball machine maybe they should stick to video games
Disclaimer: I have had to make small adjustments/tweaks on every NIB machine I've ever owned ... not a big deal to me.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

While acknowledging this guy's particular problems, it's important not to generalize. I haven't had any of these problems, nor has anyone else I know with a WOZ.

Agreed. Just that for someone who had literally waited years for the product, seems unacceptable that the headphone board and flying monkey were not working properly, plus the issue with gouge.

I actually really appreciate what JJP is doing and the level of quality they appear to be aspiring to. Rooting for them to exceed expectations.

#49 10 years ago

Well.... My game traveled 3000 miles in a truck to get to me and I have only had to make one very minor switch adjustment that took less than a minute, I have had no other issues with the game. My thought is that if someone is unable/uncomfortable Making adjustments to a pinball machine maybe they should stick to video games
Disclaimer: I have had to make small adjustments/tweaks on every NIB machine I've ever owned ... not a big deal to me.

Ha - that video game quip made me laugh. But maybe what you said about having to make adjustments/tweaks is part of a larger point. Design and manufacturing have changed a lot in the past twenty years, but not so much with pinball. We're still ok accepting that NIB pins need to be fiddled with. If that's just the nature of the beast, maybe the beast needs to go on a diet and exercise program.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Seriously...how could they forget? It looks like the darkest game ever made.

You should see it next to Star Trek.

It looks like it's not even turned on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-very-impressive-review-from-johns-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.