(Topic ID: 92202)

WOZ v3.0 Reboots during game play

By jrawlinson_2000

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

The reboot and light board issues are not related, in that the light boards affect reboots or the reboots happen because of particular light boards. They are related in that the cause of the issues are the same.
So, it doesn't matter what version light board you have, they don't affect any reset issues.
Reset issues for any generation game can be caused by many things, WOZ is no different.
The specific motherboard reset issue has been resolved for several weeks now, and as mentioned a gasket is added to the MB case creating a Faraday shield, and a ferrite bead is added to the power supply wiring. As far as I know, this has been factory standard on all games for at least a couple months now.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

So this is in affect 'insulating' the PC motherboard?

Is there anyway I can do this without the kit? Should I ground the mobo some how?

I have a league meet on Sunday and do not want a WOZ ($10,000) door-stop!

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Is there anyway I can do this without the kit? Should I ground the mobo some how?

A faraday cage is the equivalent of sunscreen for stray radio/magnetic fields.

It's different than grounding, it's wrapping the entire motherboard enclosure in something conductive. It actually doesn't matter if the cage is grounded or not.

The ferrite bead on the power lines are to choke any radio interference from being let through. Think of it like a resistor for radio waves, it burns them off as heat.

#53 9 years ago

Ok so another design flaw found. No big deal for a new platform. What is a big deal to me is they have a fix in hand for a couple of months and it is basically well less than $10 in parts yet they haven't sent the parts out to every buyer yet? I just bought ten ferrite filters for 70 cents each and I know EMI gasket is also cheap. If they can't afford this they should at least have issued a service bulletin detailing the fix...

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Ok so another design flaw found. No big deal for a new platform. What is a big deal to me is they have a fix in hand for a couple of months and it is basically well less than $10 in parts yet they haven't sent the parts out to every buyer yet? I just bought ten ferrite filters for 70 cents each and I know EMI gasket is also cheap. If they can't afford this they should at least have issued a service bulletin detailing the fix...

I could not agree more, my WOZ is rebooting around every other game! So pretty much making it useless!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Ok so another design flaw found. No big deal for a new platform. What is a big deal to me is they have a fix in hand for a couple of months and it is basically well less than $10 in parts yet they haven't sent the parts out to every buyer yet?...

It's just not that simple.

First, not every game exhibits or will ever have the issue.

You can't send out a retrofit that could easily cause additional issues if not installed properly, or to inexperienced hands that could easily create additional problems.

The gasket is custom die cut to fit and needs to be installed exactly, if it's not, it's useless.

A service bulletin about it is a good idea, but I assume they want to give the fix a bit more time in the field to be sure there are no additional issues.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#56 9 years ago

Thks Borygard... I just wish they would share that concern

#57 9 years ago

In defense of JJP I get the point Borygard is making.

Stern implements similar frustrating (to consumer) updates. For example, in my Star Trek, they installed the wrong spring in the drop target so would not drop consistently. It was a known problem and they put a different spring in the coin box. Did they notify everyone? NO.. but when I called to complain they pointed it out, I installed it and now its working flawlessly.

For a new system, all new parts, new design, I am sure these glitches are taking a while to stamp out, much more complicated than a spring. From JJP perspective, "correcting" the problem cant happen until they are 100% certain of the fix and even then, sending it out to people that dont have the problem creates a bunch of buzz and potentially more problems.

What IS frustrating however is that it appears people have these issues and are not being contacted or (apparently) dealt with, but its hard to say who has contacted JJP and who has not.

I would think a middle ground could be to post a FAQ on their website or the JJP group that addresses known issues for those that are having problems. They can list each issue and fix with a warning "This fix is not for all machines. Do not attempt this fix unless you are experiencing XXX problem" or "Contact JJP if you notice YYY.." Or something like that.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

I could not agree more, my WOZ is rebooting around every other game! So pretty much making it useless!

I had this issue early on with my machine.
I swapped out the ram and my machine ran great after that.
If you don't have any ram you can try, at least try to remove the ram, then reseat it.

#59 9 years ago

Hm, perhaps JJP should start sending out bootable USB sticks with memtest on them

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm is one of the current branches - get the free version

#60 9 years ago

OK I have run memtest with no errors

I have reseated all connectors, Crystal Ball, all I/O on driver board and even SATA & ATX PC cables.

Yet still it reboots almost every other game.

So I downgraded to v1.24 and so far have played 10 games without any reboots!

Does anyone know where I can v2.0 from?

I will undertake some more play testing and tomorrow I have a pinball league meet, so if there are no more reboots on a version pre 3.0 all day tomorrow I will then update to v3 again and see if it comes back.

My feeling is; its a bug in v3!

#61 9 years ago

It's not a bug in 3.0 but feel free to install 2.0..

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/WizardOfOz_Delta_2.00.zip

#62 9 years ago

Well the issue become clear as mud!

As I said in the first post I have been running v3.0 since its release with no issues, sods law the machine started to reboot every other game a week before a UK league meet!

I checked connectors throughout the game nothing seemed to fix the issue so I downgraded to v1.24 and 10 games later no reboots!

Upgraded to v3.0 and reboots again!

So on the day of the league meet I downgraded to v1.24 and was going to apply a 1.25 delta but stupid me v3.0 was also on the stick (although I renamed it) hence it installed v3.0, I play 3 games no reboots and thought 'bugger it, if it reboots in practice I will downgrade it then'.

Anyway NO REBOOTS!!! All day...

Now I'm happy the issue has gone away but I have no idea why and worry that when my game warranty expires it could well come back.

?!?!?!?!?

Oh the only thing I did do was to clean the playfield and put in new balls!!!!

Another point I should make is when the reboots were happening it was only during game-play as on a couple of occasions I would leave the game waiting for the ball to be plunged for hours on end and no reboots, when I stated playing again (especially multiball) reboot!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-v30-reboots-during-game-play/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.